Pitt Panthers

5 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Don't tell anybody, but I think this is going to be Nick's last year as a collegian.  First rounder in MLSSD is likely.

I hope you are correct.  It is good for our program when our players turn pro.  But I do not see it.  Not yet.

I do believe that Nick Hinds will one day play professionally.  But I do not believe that will happen in 2018. 

Surely tonight caught some notice.

11 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Don't tell anybody, but I think this is going to be Nick's last year as a collegian.  First rounder in MLSSD is likely.

I want to see him go to MLS one day, but I'm not so sure that is this year. He is getting his confidence back, and I'm really happy for him, but I think he would be much better served to be at Akron at least 1 more year with both a Spring and Fall 2018. I'm definitely biased toward the Zips, but Akron is a much better place to grow than going to MLS too early. Also, are you sure the Sounders don't have Nick's HG rights?

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

Love Nick dearly....but he had better improve his work ethic if he's gonna jump to MLS next season.  Training might not be as fun as scoring goals, but no MLS manager will overlook training ground effort....

EZ was lucky not to get a red card.  After the yellow card he was barking to the ref and after that he took a water bottle out of the Pitt trainers hand and then threw it at his feet when he was done.  Very lucky, Jared took him out right away and it looked like he got a talking to.  I don't know if the yellow card was warranted.  Didn't look like it to me but he can't do the stuff after the play like he did.  He was out of control.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

what the Pitt student newspaper had to say about the game

https://pittnews.com/article/124120/sports/zips-hold-panthers-nil-3-0/

Misleading caption under that picture. That had to be Nick Hinds' 1st goal. I wouldn't call that breaking up a play. I don't think Nick and Bryce were on the field at the same time the rest of the match. So, this picture had to be Nick's 1st goal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chris said:

I watched the streaming video of both the Pitt game and the BG game. The production quality of the Pitt game was vastly superior. The camera work, announcing, replays, on-screen graphics all were very well done.

Agreed. The Pitt announcers got all the details right...can't really say the same for our announcers. 

However, this has been a massive upgrade over the web stream days of old....it always seemed like the camera person would forget what he/she was doing and you'd be staring at an empty field for 10-15 seconds at a time. 

5 hours ago, chris said:

I watched the streaming video of both the Pitt game and the BG game. The production quality of the Pitt game was vastly superior. The camera work, announcing, replays, on-screen graphics all were very well done.

I think I'll stick with the live view inside First Energy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field. No worries about the camera work, announcing, replays, on-screen graphics and I get to vocally support my team and yell at the opponents.

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I would love to have Michael Beaven as our U of A beat reporter for all sports.  George Thomas can’t even bother to learn how soccer is even played, and Brad is freelance and notbad when the ABJ/Ohio.com will pay him...But Mike is solid in so many sports.  Maybe we could take up a collection from ZipsNation soccer forum readers and pay him!  Think he’d do it for $4.95 per game???  :P

21 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I want to see him go to MLS one day, but I'm not so sure that is this year. He is getting his confidence back, and I'm really happy for him, but I think he would be much better served to be at Akron at least 1 more year with both a Spring and Fall 2018. I'm definitely biased toward the Zips, but Akron is a much better place to grow than going to MLS too early. Also, are you sure the Sounders don't have Nick's HG rights?

Excellent point, ZipME87!  He is a Sounders Academy product, so I suppose it's up to Brian Schmetzer & Co.  I think the HGP rule is just a device MLS teams have to underpay players, by removing intra-league competition and draft options.  Players have Garber to thank!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Excellent point, ZipME87!  He is a Sounders Academy product, so I suppose it's up to Brian Schmetzer & Co.  I think the HGP rule is just a device MLS teams have to underpay players, by removing intra-league competition and draft options.  Players have Garber to thank!

I've loved the Sounders ever since that day in 2009 when they took Steve Zakuani #1 overall in the MLS Draft. Steve was good for them and they were/are good to him. Then, of course, our speedy right back DeAndre Yedlin, a Seattle native and Sounders Academy product, joined us for 2 seasons, went on to become their starting RB and on to even greater things. I can't help but love the Sounders and hope that Nick and Tor make their way to CLink one day.

43 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

That is some challenging geography there!  How far is Seattle Washington from Plantation Florida?  Home Grown?

19th century thinking