Fixing the Zips - 2020 Recruiting Edition

LZIp

I was going to wait until after the season to dive into this, but I've got the itch this morning. There is no denying the coaching doesn't have room for improvement, but really trying to limit this discussion to players. Without a doubt, many holes need filled for this team to be competitive in the MAC again. My approach if I were the coach based on expectations to become bowl eligible next season without sacrificing the future:

QB: I admire Kato's toughness and how he has seemed to grow as an individual throughout his career. However, his passing and decision making have not seemed to improve since he was a freshman and he seems to be less of a running threat now than ever. I don't believe he is a fit for the offense Arth is trying to install and I believe we've seen the last of him on the field. I propose a 3 way competition heading into camp - Gibson, Marousek, and a transfer QB (D. Clark maybe?). Another QB needs brought in to compete with Gibson. He could be the future, but I haven't seen enough to just hand him the job.

RB: Tough to get a good read with the OL, but I believe Hayes-Patrick and Reese are pieces to work with. Still want to bring in a transfer for competition/depth, and at least 1 freshman.

TE: We lose Junk, Johns, and Long after the season, leaving only Wofley on scholly. Need to bring in at least 1 transfer and true freshman.

WR: Should be okay here for next year with Stewart, Scippio, Hicks, Knight, Morris, and Mathison. Need a few true freshman though to have guys ready after they are gone.

OL: Council and Gray are building pieces. Another hole is opening up as we lose Brown. It will not bode well if the current starting C is starting next season. We have some true freshman who aren't playing this year, but if they aren't able to get on the field this year, will they be adequate next year? Bring in 2 transfers here...this is priority #1 with the team if you ask me, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there in JUCO/transfer portal. Still bring in 3 freshman on top of that so this issue is hopefully fixed once and for all.

DL: Cross has improved as the season has went on and I think Mitchell is adequate to plug the middle. We are bringing in one JUCO DL already for competition. The staffs current approach here is likely OK. Add 2 freshman.

OLB: Scott, Sampson, Richardson, and Lawson are probably fine here. Really only one of these on the field most of the time with the use of the Nickel..add 1 freshman.

ILB: Arslanian, Glover, and Watts are adequate I think. Need 2 freshman.

CB: Hooks has developed well over the year. We have a few options to fill the other position, but I haven't seen enough to bank on natural development. 2 transfers and 2 freshman.

Safety/Nickel: We are good with Watts and Thomas. There are a couple guys to step up and fill the other starting spot (Daranijo and Mack). I'd bring in 1 transfer and 1 freshman here.

Scholarship breakdown based on the above:

QB: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

RB: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

WR: (2) - 2 freshman.

TE: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

OL: (5) - 3 freshman, 2 transfers.

DL: (3) - 2 freshman, 1 transfer.

OLB: (1) - 1 freshman.

ILB: (2) - 2 freshman.

CB: (4) - 2 freshman 2 transfers.

Safety/Nickel: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

Total: 25 new additions. 16 freshman, 9 transfers.

The biggest key for acceptable results next year is going to be the staff basically bringing attrition to a halt and have a very good hit rate on the transfers so we are getting immediate improvement. Go Zips..

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great job here LZ, and lots of thought in it.  My only addition is that just because someone who played sucky this season at a position, and they return next season at that position, we shouldn't assume they won't make progress, learn, grow, get comfortable and thrive in the future.  Case in point, at center.  if current position holder busts his butt, gets coached up, and has some serious competition for his starting job, he could become a competent player as he matures.  Just using that position as an example - but we can't think about this as a static situation and that the current crew won't improve as players.

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

QB: No idea what Kato will do next season. If he transfers it'd likely be to a MEAC program. I'm a big fan of Gibson. If he can get a decent line in front of him, I think he can do some great things at UA. Assuming Kato  departs, a 5th year senior makes sense to bring in and compete with Gibson. 

RB: Hayes-Patrick has a ways to go. But he'll be a RS Fr next season, so it will be interesting to see how he improves in the off-season. Tough to bank on Reese. He was off the roster for the bulk of the season, and was injured almost immediately. Is he another Deltron? We need a game-breaking RB so freaking bad. When't the last great back we've had at UA? Brett Biggs? Dennis Kennedy? It's been 15 years since a marquee player toted the ball for the Zips.

TE: Wofley is a beast. But can he hold up? I'd LOVE to see the Zips get a tall TE. A 6'5" or taller legit pass-catching threat who can also help protect on the edge rush.

WR: Tough to be a Zips WR this season, when 1/2 way into your routes the QB is on his back. Looking forward to getting Morris back. I'll take a game-breaking WR if he's out there, but we have much greater needs than WR in 2020.

OL: To me, Council and Gray are the only two guaranteed starters in 2020. I hope the other incumbents have monster season's in the weight room and surprise next year, but I'd go hard with JUCO's and Grad Transfer's here. Love to see 3-4 of them.

DL: We need a lot of help here. Ditto with 3-4 JUCO DL's. We also need edge rushers BADLY. Our defense under Bowden was so effective with guys like Jamal Marcus, Jatavis Brown and Jamal Davis. Opposing QB's jersey's were way to clean in 2019. We need disruptive ballers coming off the edge!

LB: Definitely room for an impact JUCO or two here. Scott and Glover are ok. Bubba is ok. but if we're running a 3-4, we need to upgrade here. Will Sampson ever get above 210 lbs? If he could put on 15 ponds this off-season, we'd have something. He has the motor, but not the strength.

CB: The young guys did a nice job as the season progressed. Adding a JUCO or two would be helpful. 

Safety/Nickel: We'll miss Davis. Daranijo is my favorite to make an impact in 2020. Watts can definitely play too, but will he play CB or DB?

Punter - My Hudson homie Jonah Wieland had a very pedestrian season. I don't know that we'll see him punting for the Zips in 2020. Kyle Romenick was a 5-star recruit, and will definitely get a long look next year.

Kicker - Corey Smigel seems destined to assume the PK role. He's looked reliable in limited opportunities.

0-12 is what it is. Everyone's job should be up for grabs. Hopefully we get a big time talent influx next season. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Like 1

With now 3 JUCO DL commits, the staff sees it as a much bigger need than I did, though I certainly won't argue with them. Admittedly, I may be basing my evaluation too much on the Miami game. Scholarships there are going there at the expense of another position group/bringing in freshman. 

OL and DL are by far the biggest areas of need by a huge margin. It's almost impossible to really assess what we have at QB/RB/WR and DB/LB/Safety this year. On the offensive side, we can't block very well at all, so the QB has no time to let a play develop and find the open receiver, the RB's have virtually nowhere to go and the WR's can't even finish routes completely most of the time. On the defensive side, our complete lack of pressure on the opposing QB forces our DB's to try to cover receivers WAY too long. Even the best DB's can only cover for a certain amount of time before getting beat. Our LB's have done a decent job, but I think they are undersized for the most part, especially when running a 3-4 which requires LB's to make more tackles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:51 AM, LZIp said:

Scholarship breakdown based on the above:

QB: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

RB: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

WR: (2) - 2 freshman.

TE: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

OL: (5) - 3 freshman, 2 transfers.

DL: (3) - 2 freshman, 1 transfer.

OLB: (1) - 1 freshman.

ILB: (2) - 2 freshman.

CB: (4) - 2 freshman 2 transfers.

Safety/Nickel: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer.

Total: 25 new additions. 16 freshman, 9 transfers.

For fun - what we've done so far compared to my wants:

QB: (1) 1 freshman (-1 transfer)

RB: (4)  2 freshman, 2 transfers. (+1 freshman, +1 transfer)

WR: (1) 1 Hicks (counting him as a transfer) (-2 freshman, +1 transfer)

TE: (2) - 1 freshman, 1 transfer. (no difference)

OL: (3) - 3 freshman (-2 transfers)

DL: (3) - 2 freshman, 1 transfer (no difference)

LB: (3) - 2 freshman, 1 transfer (not going to attempt to guess if they will play inside/outside, -1 freshman, +1 transfer)

DB: (3) - 1 freshman 2 transfers (not going to attempt to guess where they will play, -2 freshman, -1 transfer)

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zipsfan15 said:

Jawon Chisholm and Connor Hundley? 2011-2016

I would have loved to seen what both backs would have done with a different OC and emphasis on the running game.  Neither guy seemed like more of an afterthought to the Zips.  Hundley averaged 4.5 YPC for his career and Chisholm was at 4.9 but neither ever got a 1,000 season.

14 hours ago, Zip JD said:

I would have loved to seen what both backs would have done with a different OC and emphasis on the running game.  Neither guy seemed like more of an afterthought to the Zips.  Hundley averaged 4.5 YPC for his career and Chisholm was at 4.9 but neither ever got a 1,000 season.

If I recall correctly, Chisholm was the closest to 1,000 yards in his freshman season.  However they did share the backfield for a year or two so they took away from each others numbers, but both we different types of runners as well. 

Edited by zipsfan15