JD's weekly team address

tim123

This a qoute from JD on Nicely= "We obviously can't ask him to play beyond his years and he can't try to" and I say WHY NOT! Does that mean we have players that are not asked to play to there full potential because there 19 and not 20. I say let him loose, I understand they want to bring him along slowly but he looks like he wants to make a play every down. JD needs to pick a kicker and stick with him. The special teams are killing us. Go Zips!!

Opening statement...The game against Ohio was a difficult one. From a special teams standpoint, we gave up 13 points. We gave up a blocked punt that was recovered for seven points and a dropped kick return that led to an Ohio score for six points. Sean Fobbs, who I would play every down if I could, just made a mistake. When you couple those two with the other four turnovers, we put ourselves in a very difficult position. I thought we ran the ball better and Matt Rodgers was playing much better in the second quarter than in the first before he went down for the year. We had three drives of 11 plays or more that resulted in no points. Defensively we played very well. This team has done a good job rallying together despite the difficult situations that have occurred this year. On true freshman quarterback Patrick Nicely...For a young freshman that has had limited reps in practice; he did a really good job. It is fairy obvious that he has a great deal of confidence in himself. He made some great reads on plays that sophomores and juniors commonly miss, but he did make some mistakes. It is our job as coaches to improve his abilities so that he can succeed. We obviously can't ask him to play beyond his years and he can't try to either.On the outlook for the remainder of the season...This is not the first time we have been at 1-4 overall, the last time it happened we won the most MAC games Akron history. There is still a lot of football to be played.On Buffalo...Buffalo has two very good receivers and a different dynamic at quarterback and two good running backs that want to pound the ball. They try to keep the ball for eight or nine minutes per drive. They have been able to make big play in the passing game. As a team they are I believe they have two of the best safeties in the Mid-American Conference and a much improved defensive line over last season. On new tight ends coach Chris Hedden...Chris was the offensive coordinator at Toledo last year and I know him very well form the recruiting trail. He is an Ohio guy that is a good recruiter in the Cleveland area. I really admire his work ethic. We are glad to have him on our staff instead of competing against him.The entire 300 word press conference can be found here.Can somebody set up a Q&A where ZN can ask JD questions in this format?

On true freshman quarterback Patrick Nicely...We obviously can't ask him to play beyond his years and he can't try to either.
This from a head coach? I hope this is just a poor choice of words. There are many successful people in this world who do things "beyond their years".

On true freshman quarterback Patrick Nicely...We obviously can't ask him to play beyond his years and he can't try to either.
This from a head coach? I hope this is just a poor choice of words. There are many successful people in this world who do things "beyond their years".
You can read so many different things into those comments --Is JD trying to lower expectations and take the pressure off Nicely by downplaying his performance?Is JD trying to downplay the kid's performance and ability so he doesn't look so bad for not playing him sooner?I know what I saw Saturday night - "The Kid" has serious game. I look forward to 4 quarters of him vs. Buffalo.

JD really talks a lot about how unfair it is to Patrick ("burning" the redshirt). He also hints at that now he and Matt are very close in class. Uh....yeah...uh....JD, um...if you are still here next year, Patrick will be your starter. If you are not, Patrick will be the new coach's starter.

I know what I saw Saturday night - "The Kid" has serious game. I look forward to 4 quarters of him vs. Buffalo.I agree with you CK. Do I expect Patrick to completely turn this around on his own? No. But, I do expect him to play to his abilities, regardless of his age and collegiate game experience. I also expect the Zips' coaching staff to coach to his abilities, regardless of his age and collegiate game experience.

There have been plenty of "kids" forced to play QB because of unseen circumstances that were able to succeed. I believe that PN16 has the tools to do so. Now it is up to him to work hard at his position. I really don't care to"blame" anybody for not playing him. He is in now and I want to win! One thing is for sure, we don't have anybodyleft to have debates on anymore. I wonder if the team has practiced any "wildcat" formations this week in case of emergency.

Look, I watched Sparks go down, and saw a freshman come in.I feel much more comfortable watching this frosh behind the line than I ever felt with Frye back there, and look what Frye accomplished. (several of you think he was worthless but we did have 2 winning seasons with him at the helm)

jd is right on the money.this is not the first time we have been 1-4.that pretty much sums it up. here are some more stats 1-7 in the last 8 games.the only win is against a bad 1-aa team. i don't know any bcs school that would have kept the coach after 3 losing seasons in the a row.yet now 1-7 in the last 8 games. i just don't see any way this team can win seven games.we need to beat one d-1 team first.

Anyone who has never done real, live media interviews has no idea how well they would form their words in that situation. It's really easy to mean one thing and say another.I think if you were to ask JD in private conversation what he meant to say, he would say that by years he meant present abilities. If you expect someone to play beyond their present abilities, and they try too hard to play beyond their present abilities, they end up making the kind of errors that get you trashed on sports forums.