Jump to content

Zippy87

Members
  • Posts

    1,903
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    37

Everything posted by Zippy87

  1. If this happens (and I still think it's a big "if") I agree I would full much better about it if Ford becomes the new HC. He would have player and alumni buy-in, support from Wentz/FTR, give us continuity, and would already have a relationship with existing recruits.
  2. It doesn't look great, obviously, but I don't consider Groce gone until someone credible confirms it. Right now, we know: - He was a finalist at Butler, per the IndyStar - He was rumored to have been offered the USF job, but they moved on when he wouldn't commit - He is the top target at Charleston, but both sources - Jeff Goodman and Jeff Borzello - qualified their reports by saying a deal wasn't done, with Borzello adding "steps remain for both sides in the next 24 hours" Now, I'm not saying this is what is happening here, but just last year Rob Senderoff (a close friend of Groce's) was reportedly close to leaving Kent for Fordham, only to stay put with a new contract and increased commitment to the basketball program. Why would Groce not take the USF job if it was truly about the best chance to win? Why would these reports come out today that it was close but not done, right as speculation was increasing that it was done? I'm just saying...let's let this play out.
  3. IF Groce leaves and IF Ford takes over, it will be fascinating to see what guys like Sharron and Eric do.
  4. Dambrot at least had strong personal ties to his destination. This would be a tough pill to swallow. But we will see what happens.
  5. Hard to say without knowing the ask. The USF thing seems to be legit - that they offered him but moved on after he asked too much. Maybe he's doing that at UA. Or maybe he is trying to leverage UA into increased support. Ford has been with Groce every coaching stop since OU. I'd suspect he would follow him to Charleston. But I'd absolutely offer him the job. Best chance at continuity of the established culture and players seem to really respect him.
  6. I certainly think Akron's budget/finances are a possible reason, but even if Vivek wins, a lot would have to happen for his idea to become a reality. He can't just unilaterally close a university like UA.
  7. This would be pretty out of nowhere. I've seen over a dozen names connected to Charleston by reputable reporters and none of them Groce.
  8. This account is pretty reliable IMO. Much better than the ones I posted regarding Butler.
  9. It can be a warning sign or it can be a kid trying to find the right place. The context of the moves is just so important.
  10. We were Evan's 3rd school in 4 years and he was one of the best "culture" players I can remember. With more coach turnover and roster instability in today's college basketball, I wouldn't dismiss a possible addition based on the number of stops he's had.
  11. 32 points that game..I think most were in the 2nd half, too.
  12. Has anyone received their FTRC gear?
  13. There was also pretty clear family tie to Duquesne for Dambrot. His leading his dad's former team to a tournament win was awesome to watch. That move made total sense to me. Groce going to Butler or Indiana or somewhere else close to home would make sense to me for the same reasons. I don't think he's making a lateral move unless there's a reason outside of basketball.
  14. I mean in terms of competitiveness. Lateral move at best.
  15. I can't fathom that one. Definitely a step down from Akron.
  16. Doyel: Butler AD Grant Leiendecker found his basketball coach. But he didn't look very hard The other finalist was one of Matta's Butler assistants in 2001, John Groce, a mid-major coach with solid results and a large NIL fund, which means he’s competing with more resources than most of the MAC.
×
×
  • Create New...