Jump to content

Zippy87

Members
  • Posts

    1,903
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    37

Everything posted by Zippy87

  1. The Indianapolis Star said he was a finalist for the job. I don't think you get to that level of a process without at least some mutual interest.
  2. It is magnified, but I think there's genuine discussions going on behind the scenes. I think his Butler candidacy was very real. Whether that means he will be a candidate anywhere else, who knows? But I do think there was mutual interest for that job. For me, I worry because I remember the pre-KD days of Akron basketball and don't want to go back. We were incredibly fortunate Groce was available the same time KD left, and we went from one legend to another. I don't think it's fair to expect that same fortune again if he were to leave. Additionally, I just love this program so much under Groce. He's such a likeable coach, his staff brings in players who are great young men and easy to root for...I'd just hate to see that go, as I'm sure everyone else would.
  3. I agree, but I do think it is the perception in other fan bases outside of the MAC.
  4. Leiendecker was determined to hire someone he knew, someone from Butler. And he hired his former teammate. Look at the search. The other finalist was one of Matta's Butler assistants in 2001, John Groce, a mid-major coach with solid results and a large NIL fund, which means he’s competing with more resources than most of the MAC.
  5. I wonder how Bud Wentz factors into all of this. From afar, it seems he and Groce have become very close over the years.
  6. https://x.com/i/status/2036797960311193772 Maybe backtracking...
  7. I'd happily take him back. He's turned into a really good player IMO.
  8. I'm going to push back on this and say there has been a noticeable effort over the last two years to improve promotions and gameday experience. The unfortunate truth when it comes to the Zips is that they won't truly break through to the average fan until they take the next step and win a tournament game and/or hold a national ranking for some time. Groce was brought here to do that. He was supposed to do what KD couldn't.
  9. I do think it's clear he has interest in jobs elsewhere. How much interest is uncertain, though.
  10. Is USF a significant step up from Akron? I'll be surprised and disappointed if that happens.
  11. It's in the replies. Could just be a rando on Twitter, but he is followed by a bunch of coaches.
  12. I only thought he'd love for home (Butler/Indy). USF is not the type of job I had on my radar at all.
  13. Not sure who this account is or if they're reliable, but they're claiming Groce is gone.
  14. If he didn't, I'm certain something would have been leaked, similar to Holtmann and Shrewsberry. Sometimes silence can be deafening.
  15. Jeff Borzello: After Thad Matta's retirement on Monday, Butler has moved quickly in its search, already conducting virtual interviews with candidates. Current Atlanta Hawks assistant and former Butler guard Ronald Nored is the perceived favorite for the job, but several mid-major coaches with Butler ties are also expected to be involved: Akron's John Groce, Miami (Ohio)'s Travis Steele and Illinois State's Ryan Pedon.
  16. His non-answer to the ABJ + silence since then tells me he's a serious candidate.
  17. I think Groce is pretty clearly a finalist and wants the job. Otherwise, he does what Holtmann and Shrewsberry did today and either directly or indirectly squashes it. If he does leave, I'd expect Ford to follow him there. It would be challenging timing for Akron, as they'd be limited to "second wave" options to be their next head coach. Pretty huge 24-48 hours coming for the near-term future of Akron basketball.
  18. I do think his lack of success in his only P4 gig could potentially be held against him. That doesn't mean he can't be successful with a second chance - just saying it's possible that is something attached to him in these discussions.
  19. If Groce doesn't get offered the Butler job I expect him to commit to Akron and get to work on putting together next year's team. You never know the intentions of another person, but I think Butler is a unique opportunity in that it is close to home for him, a place he coached previously and is familiar with, and is still in the Midwest, where he has spent his entire coaching career.
  20. I agree with just about everything here, but I think he has to at least be considering Butler if it is offered to him. The fact that we have had zero players publicly commit to Akron next year OR enter the transfer portal tells me they're all waiting to hear if he will be the coach or not. I don't think he'd leave for just anywhere, but he has several ties to Butler. He grew up in Indiana, he was an Assistant Coach at Butler, and was an Assistant Coach for Thad Matta in three different spots (Butler, Xavier, Ohio State) over an 8 year span. And Matta is reportedly part of the process in identifying their next coach.
×
×
  • Create New...