Soccer Stadium

Caleb Porter has sent out his soccer newsletter to alumni and friends. In it was this statement on the much needed soccer stadium:Stadium PlansFor those of you who have not heard, we are in the process of developing a new soccer only stadium here on campus. The plans call for a brand new playing surface with new lights and a state of the art grand stand. Off the field, new game day locker rooms, restrooms and concessions will all be added. You can view the initial stadium plans online at http://www.osborn-eng.com/sports_akron.html. Groundbreaking is expected following the fall of 2009. We are currently in the development process for what looks to be one of the top facilities in all of college soccer.This is exciting news. It is coming faster than I thought it would. Caleb must be making headway on lining up major donors to make it happen. I've seen the plans for the stadium and they are better than what the website shows. With this facility and a better conference (CUSA ? affiliated membership) we will win that national championship one day.Kudos to Caleb and Mac for moving this program to the top of the national pecking order. I can see weekends where we go to Infocision for a game and then see top ten competition at our new soccer stadium. The campus will be the place to be. :thumb:

It's funny you guys mention a baseball stadium. I watched quite a bit of the College World Series this year and for the first time it really struck me how behind-the-times our baseball facility is. IMO Both Walsh and Malone's baseball facilities are as nice, if not nicer than ours. I'm hoping we have plans to put a new baseball stadium on acquired property SOUTH of Exchange. I know it'd be nice having the football stadium, soccer stadium, softball stadium and baseball stadium all adjacent to each other but it's getting awfully crowded in there. I don't think there is really much room for a grandstand where the baseball facility is presently located.Again, perhaps I'm regionally biased or myopic, but I think there is a lot of high school baseball talent in NEO. If we'd have a nice facility who knows what we could do, because our team is pretty good now! If we could simply sign most of the best players from Summit & Stark I think we'd be pretty good! I don't know, that may be naive.

This topic is about the WELL DESERVED soccer stadium for our elite soccer team and Caleb. Congrats Caleb and team, this should further progress the soccer program and get us to our first National Championship. I am anxious to see the real plans for the stadium.Maybe someone should start a separate thread on a baseball stadium...

This topic is about the WELL DESERVED soccer stadium for our elite soccer team and Caleb. Congrats Caleb and team, this should further progress the soccer program and get us to our first National Championship. I am anxious to see the real plans for the stadium.Maybe someone should start a separate thread on a baseball stadium...
Exactly, and this new soccer stadium is long overdue. Too long has the soccer team been the best program the school has had, and for too long has the plight of the team gone ignored. It's an elite program and deserves elite facilities.On that note so too does the Rifle team need elite facilities. :wave:

Maybe if the baseball stadium were configured correctly, it could also be used as the new soccer field.

Maybe if the baseball stadium were configured correctly, it could also be used as the new soccer field.
it's about time we had a soccer stadium. Soccer has been the most winning sport for UA for as long as I can remember.

Exactly, and this new soccer stadium is long overdue. Too long has the soccer team been the best program the school has had, and for too long has the plight of the team gone ignored. It's an elite program and deserves elite facilities.On that note so too does the Rifle team need elite facilities. :wave:
YES! A new range would be great, but we've been trying to get one for about 15 years now. Not a high profile sport and very few people see the range so it always gets pushed down on the list. I think there was something tossed around quite a few years ago that would have built a world-class shooting range at UofA and some national NRA events and likely the NCAA championships would have been hosted here. It never materialized. The real problem is that the range is an academic facility, so the police academy gets priority. The result is that I used to get up at 3:00 AM so I could go to practice before the first academy class in the morning. :zzz: