Captain's Log

1.) Jack has 7 INT's in 2 MAC games. Seems like the teams that know us best are on to him? 2.) Despite 3 INT's...when the game was on the line, he made the TD pass to Bowser. And, when we needed 20-something yards to get into FG range after the botched Miller handoff in OT...he found Bowser down the middle for 20.3.) Having a crappy FG kicker will bite you in tight games. It bit us last week...it bit K.e.n.t. this week. From the lockerroom after the came came the yell (from JD) - "THE BOSNIAN IS BACK!!" He then tossed Igor a game ball.4.) I can live with Bowser's occasional drops. When you need a "money" catch, you throw it his way. 5.) As sure as the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west...as sure as Bryan Hipsher air-balls a 3...you can bank on K.e.n.t. choking. They had us beaten last season...they had us beat this season...and like Michael Huchence, they went into the locker room at halftime...grabbed 85 belts...collectively stood on the benches...slung the belts over the ceiling pipes...and began what has become known as "The Annual Portage County Gag." 6.) Great to hear Channel 5 didn't cut away from the game in the 2nd OT to show Jim Tressel's underwear being washed prior to the Wisconsin game.7.) Poor sad Record Courrier Douche Bag who got paid to sit through that game and write about it. Someone send him a card and flowers.8.) Our running game S-T-U-N-K. Kennedy remains the worst RB in UA history for as many career carries as he's received. Johnson better come back next week, or Torrence's redshirt better come off, because we can't finish off the season with Kennedy getting 20 carries for 32 yards the remainder of the season.9.) We had three successive 3-and-outs in the 4th quarter. Gained a total of 3 combined yards on 9 plays. HORRIBLE play calling. HORRIBLE. We regressed back to last season's sideways passes. 10.) I'm officially concerned about Bruce's hands. I figured I'd give him 5 games to acclimate from the year off, and the position change. He still drops too many easy catches. I want more Al Owen! BTW - Why was Bruce returning kicks instead of Jones?11.) The ever-erratic John Stec had a decent game. He's a much better kicker when he can just let it fly, than when he needs to finesse the ball. 12.) If Jack had Edelmann's feet, he'd be unstoppable. But he has Bernie Kosar's feet. Two of the left ones. If Matt Rodgers is remotely athletic, he needs to start getting a few snaps. 13.) The refurbished K.e.n.t. stadium is very nice. Great scoreboard. 2-dollar beers ain't so bad either. It's come a long way from 8 years ago with the rickety away bleachers. The concession lines - HORRIBLE. Very poorly prepared for a 18,000 person crowd.14.) Rowdies were awesome. Great to see the team give them some post-game love!15.) The game felt like the last minute of the Miami basketball game from 2 years ago...but that feeling lasted for an hour. Compelling as all hell.16.) BG can rack up points. But their defense sucks. And, they are a passing team rather than a running team. That bodes well for the Zips. Looking forward to a crazy Saturday night next week!

Great write-up. Always enjoy reading your insight CK!
Just saw THIS and thought folks would get a kick out of it. Great insight, as usual Cap. Here's hoping we get over that .500 hump for good this Saturday. See you all at the bowl, stop by and say "Happy Birthday" to yours truly...GO ZIPS!

3.) Having a crappy FG kicker will bite you in tight games. It bit us last week...it bit K.e.n.t. this week. From the lockerroom after the came came the yell (from JD) - "THE BOSNIAN IS BACK!!" He then tossed Igor a game ball.
Still think you are too hard on Igor. He has hit 75% of his field goals and missed one extra point (the stats say he's missed two, but one was the block at Cincinnati that was not his fault). I think that is a very acceptable rate for a college kicker. Yeah he missed an important field goal vs Cinci, but I think that given his season of work, he is far from a crappy kicker. Considering what we've had recently, he's a godsend.

Just saw THIS and thought folks would get a kick out of it. Great insight, as usual Cap. Here's hoping we get over that .500 hump for good this Saturday. See you all at the bowl, stop by and say "Happy Birthday" to yours truly...GO ZIPS!
Hahaha only at Can't State. That Can't Statecks sign has been everywhere and the Rowdies always find a way to whip it out at a Can't venue.

Hahaha only at Can't State. That Can't Statecks sign has been everywhere and the Rowdies always find a way to whip it out at a Can't venue.
lol I was in the B.R.A.I.N. friday night when Willy started making that sign. There was another one in blue paper with yellow letters but I was behind it and couldn't read it. What did it say? I heard it was "CAN'T EAD CAN'T W ITE". Can anyone confirm this?

lol I was in the B.R.A.I.N. friday night when Willy started making that sign. There was another one in blue paper with yellow letters but I was behind it and couldn't read it. What did it say? I heard it was "CAN'T EAD CAN'T W ITE". Can anyone confirm this?
That's exactly what the sign read. I didn't understand the omitted R s. An inside joke i assume?

That's exactly what the sign read. I didn't understand the omitted R s. An inside joke i assume?
Exactly. They were making fun of themselves. Remember the basketball game at the JAR? "We don't Th_ow Stuff"
I don't think it matters anymore. See, the Can't State students at that game have either all dropped out, don't follow football, or realized that they would make more money delivering pizzas than with their underwater basket weaving degree.

great posts guys.....will add a few thoughts1. i like t campbell but i am happy to see carter getting more snaps at the fs spot. with his size and athletic ability he can be and impact player and showed signs of that against Can't.2. props to the d! the line was gassed but played their hearts out! they may give up a lot of yards but make plays when they have to. 3. my question on the o playing calling. does moorehead have little faith in jac by calling wr screen after wr screen or is moorehead that stubborn? something has to give and the play calling has to be shaken up a little to keep teams honest.4. got to give some props to jd! it truly looked like the refs weren't going to review the bowser td but jd called a time out and forced them to take a 20th look. also good for him to make the proper side calls in overtime.5. while jac didn't play well he made two great plays with the td throw to bowser and the 3rd and 22 throw to bowser in overtime. if he doesn't make that second throw akron doesn't get the win.this team is far from perfect but it has enough to win the east. lets hope this win propels them to that goal!see you at the bowl sat!CAN'T READ CAN'T WRITE CAN'T KICK! :screwks:

great posts guys.....will add a few thoughts5. while jac didn't play well he made two great plays with the td throw to bowser and the 3rd and 22 throw to bowser in overtime. if he doesn't make that second throw akron doesn't get the win.CAN'T READ CAN'T WRITE CAN'T KICK! :screwks:
I disagree that the TD to Bowser was a great play on Jac's part. It was under thrown IMO. Bowser's effort is what made that play special.I haven't seen a clip of the 3rd and 22.

he made the right read on that play and did what he should do by under throwing the ball and giving bowser a chance to make a play. bowser made an awesome play on the ball. side note that i forgot to post....was listening to the post game in the parking lot and the interview with igor was classic....igor how are you going to celebrate the win???? i'm 21 so i'm gonna go get drunk tonight! classic! would love to get the audio of that. :screwks:

After you post something...you always thing of a couple things you should have mentioned...he're my three final notes --1.) Like many mentioned, Jalil Carter rules! Fast, aggressive. Man, where's he been? You gotta love Tyler Campbell's tenacity...but Carter plays at a whole different speed.2.) I don't think anyone mentioned Martin's decision to run out the clock in the 1st half with 1 minute to go and all three time outs remaining? K.e.n.t. was moving the ball with relative ease. If he just let Edelmann run it out of the shotgun a couple times they had a great chance of getting into scoring position. VERY conservative call. Playing not-to-lose...and they lost.3.) Of Akron's three wins thus far, all were on the road. I don't care who you're playing...winning 3-out-of-4 road games to begin the season is really impressive.OK, on to BG. :wave:

After you post something...you always thing of a couple things you should have mentioned...he're my three final notes --1.) Like many mentioned, Jalil Carter rules! Fast, aggressive. Man, where's he been? You gotta love Tyler Campbell's tenacity...but Carter plays at a whole different speed.
Speaking of Jalil Carter, did anyone see the pics on GoZips.com of the game where they had this shot of him leaping to block Can't's final field goal? I think the only reason he missed blocking it was because it was so far right? Man, what an athlete. http://uaim.dyndns.info/photo_galleries/_A...e/100408640.htm

After you post something...you always thing of a couple things you should have mentioned...he're my three final notes --1.) Like many mentioned, Jalil Carter rules! Fast, aggressive. Man, where's he been? You gotta love Tyler Campbell's tenacity...but Carter plays at a whole different speed.
Speaking of Jalil Carter, did anyone see the pics on GoZips.com of the game where they had this shot of him leaping to block Can't's final field goal? I think the only reason he missed blocking it was because it was so far right? Man, what an athlete. http://uaim.dyndns.info/photo_galleries/_A...e/100408640.htm
I think he got a hand on the previous Can't FG that sent us in to the 2nd OT, but it wasn't enough to block it completely.

Link doesn't seem to work so here is the photo I was referring to.

Lord have mercy, look @ that vertical!!! He's a freak! To answer CK's question about where Jalil's been thus far this season, wasn't he battling a little injury earlier in the year? And, yeah, I love Tyler Campbell too, but Jalil is a future NFL player. What do we have, 5 years running w/ a player selected in the 1st 4 rounds? Well, this year it's going to be B-Will. Next year it's Bowser. The following year is Jalil. The year after that, DeVoe Torrence. That'll make 9 years running! Go Zips!

FWIW...the link won't work because of the script on this site that changes all things "K-E-N-T" to Can't.Follow this link, then change the "can't" in the url to k-e-n-t (sans the dashes) and hit enter. There are some really great pictures here.