Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

More cowbell!OK, now seriously, everything around a football game should complement football and put fans in the mood for supporting their team. There's nothing like traditional, upbeat marching music with flair -- gut-wrenching drumming with lots of syncopation and a wall of brass that brings fans screaming to their feet with tears in their eyes.The purpose of football is not to bring out crowds to appreciate fine music. The band is there to fire up the fans to fire up the football team. Period. Save the concert music for the concert hall, where people politely applaud after each number.On the football field, the band should make the fans explode with passion that carries over into a guttural roar for the offense and defense every time the ball is snapped.
Wow, well said!Btw, did anyone else notice the distinct aroma of charcoal outside the Stile Field House today? It was great! I remember going to Camden Yards in Baltimore and before the game there were all sorts of street-side food vendors set up between the baseball stadium and the right field warehouse. It smelled great. I've been told that Fenway Park in Boston is the same way. Maybe we can get a handful of food vendors to set up shop around the Info - make it almost like a mini-county fair food scene? Ribs, sausage sandwiches, elephant ears, lemonade, gyros, etc. The entire stadium area should smell of a boutique of mouth-watering aromas. When the aroma of polish sausage & charcoal drifts into & fills the Info, all the better! That couldn't help but drive concession sales inside the Info as well. Mmm. People will know that they are at an event!Also, a few guys in my tour group were wondering about alcohol sales. (It was the first question that was asked. Lol.) The answer was that that the board of trustees haven't made up their minds yet.I don't drink. But I think that they should sell beer @ the games. That's just seems to be a big part of the American sports scene experience. And why not? They always make a killing on those $6 beers.
I could smell the charcoal INSIDE the field house. I actually started looking around to see if someone was grilling or if there was a fire!!!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I really don't need a great halftime show. What I like is how the band gets people pumped BEFORE the game. I've got two of the band CD's (one for each car) and my favorite track is the drum cadence...that is AWESOME! For me, put together a good march to the stadium and a good pregame, and I'm done.
Exactly!!

Some videos to ponder:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2pDkPqQcU"%5d%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2pDkPqQcU%5b/url%5d2%20%20%20%20%5burl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RMqRwjiT" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RMqRwjiTUw3
We're trying people.... but if you want a 200 person band, we cant kick peoples' asses too much, and if you want a good band we'll have 50 people..... so which is it?
If OU can do it with 110, I say we shoot for 110. We don't need a big, sloppy band just to cover the whole field. We need a more elite group of precision marchers, who take the band seriously, and who play loud. Likewise, OSU's band isn't a huge band, is it? However, they may get away with having fewer members because, if I'm not mistaken, they only allow brass and percussion in the marching band, am I correct? Thus the high volume they produce with a smaller number of precision marchers.If we would actually DECREASE the size of our present band, it may have the effect of making a position on the marching band a prestigious position? Something that must be earned? thus, decreasing the number of openings in the marching band may produce the effect we're desiring?
OU has far more than 110...that's just a name nowadays. They are around 200 people if im not mistaken. How about our band stops making excuses and puts some effort into it. This attitude problem they have won't cut it.
I know plenty of band members who are looking ahead to the season and planning for it now, and this is not true! They do the best with what they have. My advice is until you're gonna go out there and be in Ohio's Pride stop the negative comments. They work hard all semester. Wanna help! an easy one CLAP AFTER THEY PLAY A PEICE show support for a group who puts there tears and sweat YOUR UNIVERSITY... wereall on the same team here folks! and this needs to stop you're suppose to be helping the band, and keep the negative comments yourself....Also when in the case of OU and OSU.... They have had long running traditions and tons of funding since the early 1900's.... Akron, well hasn't. I mean look at our Tuba's...Just think about who reads this! you want band members not to care keep the negative comments coming cause i know about 20-30 of them who read zipsnation on a daily bases and this thread is already going between them, and for those of them who really care. I think you should get it!

I know a few band members and they're some of the biggest Zips fans you'll ever meet. The problem doesn't lie with the students out there playing the songs.There's no way to please everybody when it comes to song selection. Some people prefer rock songs, and some people prefer the old school marching band sound. Keep in mind that choices are limited by the band's makeup: who is able to play what instrument. We don't have the right makeup for what the fans want and the only solution is to find more students that can play different instruments and are willing to commit to the program. There are two problems preventing this from happening: funding and the small-time "the band doesn't matter because Akron is a D-II school with no tradition" attitude that is still held by some individuals and students in the music department.

Uakronkid is right; the problem is that peoples’ tastes when it comes to a band are different…vastly. Football is easy; nobody cares if a team uses a west-coast offence, as long as they rack up the wins. But a band’s performance is much more subjective. The band attempts to be stoic and “in character” and somebody complains that they are being stiff or too boring, they cut loose a bit, and people complain that they are not behaving like a college band. They play pop music, and the older audience members all have strokes. They play the classics and the current students boo the director…(I remember a WE-WANT-GALEN cheer 2 years ago)Whether you realize it or not, the band is playing FOR you, and isn’t it the thought that counts? They are not horrible, in fact Akron’s band has consistently trounced Can't’s band for as long as I can remember (which is more that we can say for the football team) and if you look at their repertoire over the past 10 years, you’ll see that they are trying everything, performing various styles in an attempt to please the audience.Like any successful organization, the band assesses itself continuously every year, and is actively seeking improvement. Building a successful tradition is an arduous task, whether it is a football dynasty or a marching band. These things take time…. like YEARS. Believe me, the band kids understand how important this next season is to our university as a new chapter in our history, and they will do their best. So let’s stay positive folks. P.S. Personally I am excited to hear how the band sounds in the INFO.

Why is the only thing i hear is that we are better than Can'ts band? That's not enough. Let's aim a bit higher than the embarrassment that is anything involved with their football program. You are correct though, we are leaps and bounds better than that sorry excuse for a marching band.

I only use Can't's band in comparison because it is such a blatant contrast. I would assert that Akron's band is better than plenty of other bands in many ways, but those aspects which make Ohio's Pride "better" are less obvious to the average fan. I understand that the goal of a band is to entertain the audience, but it is also the duty of any good ensemble to protect the art form and advance the sophistication of the audience. Much like football has officials and rules to protect THE GAME, music and band have numerous unwritten rules; many of which are being broken by some "popular" marching bands.Yes Akron's band isn't perfect, and we are not one of the popular bands... but we have enough pride, dignity, and love for the art of music to maintain a higher performance standard, albeit an unattainable one. Sure we could play easier music.... and sure we could play it extremely loudly... and sure we could hump the air and dance while we play...But that ruins the challenge for us, and it ultimately sells the audience short. We respect the audience too much to give you that type of performance.From my perspective; turning into a "showy" "popular" band would be giving up, like the American League allowing steroids so that their games can be more entertaining, or like the football team renouncing the rules in order to win. It is a slippery slope if we choose to lower our standards...which is why we refuse to do so. So if you guys don't respect the band for it's entertainment, at least give us a nod for our devotion to the art, and our values.

DM please "give up" and become "showy and popular." But seriously, I don't know why you feel that you would have to lower your standards in order to gain support. By becoming "popular" I swear to you that you will not be selling the audience short.

I only use Can't's band in comparison because it is such a blatant contrast. I would assert that Akron's band is better than plenty of other bands in many ways, but those aspects which make Ohio's Pride "better" are less obvious to the average fan. I understand that the goal of a band is to entertain the audience, but it is also the duty of any good ensemble to protect the art form and advance the sophistication of the audience. Much like football has officials and rules to protect THE GAME, music and band have numerous unwritten rules; many of which are being broken by some "popular" marching bands.Yes Akron's band isn't perfect, and we are not one of the popular bands... but we have enough pride, dignity, and love for the art of music to maintain a higher performance standard, albeit an unattainable one. Sure we could play easier music.... and sure we could play it extremely loudly... and sure we could hump the air and dance while we play...But that ruins the challenge for us, and it ultimately sells the audience short. We respect the audience too much to give you that type of performance.From my perspective; turning into a "showy" "popular" band would be giving up, like the American League allowing steroids so that their games can be more entertaining, or like the football team renouncing the rules in order to win. It is a slippery slope if we choose to lower our standards...which is why we refuse to do so. So if you guys don't respect the band for it's entertainment, at least give us a nod for our devotion to the art, and our values.

DM please "give up" and become "showy and popular." But seriously, I don't know why you feel that you would have to lower your standards in order to gain support. By becoming "popular" I swear to you that you will not be selling the audience short.
No but we'd be selling ourselves short.... and half of the Marching band is made of Music majors and that style would be destructive to our lips which is what were gonna need to succeeded in career's. We are better then a lot of other bands in the MAC! but you can't compare Akron to OSU or Florida they're huge and Like I stated above OHIO has had a running tradition for over 100 years! Akron hasn't had that ability yet! We do the best we can!

...Yeah!!! So cut us some friggin slack!!! But seriously, we in the band are trying, we are proud of what we have done.However, we are not content with our performance level, nor will we ever be, hence the constant attempts at improvement, and the comments on this board do help us (as long as they are constructive) so keep 'em coming... and remember people, "baby steps."

Okay okay, you guys in the Band have been pretty good sports on here. It's great to all be on Zipsnation. Please don't read any ill will into whatever I type. Honestly, I think the Flag Squad needs to do a much better job. They are the "front window" for the Band, and, God love em', they need to show somebetter coordination out there. p.s. for the record, I want to say that I've never called the Bands talent or playing ability into question.

...Yeah!!! So cut us some friggin slack!!! But seriously, we in the band are trying, we are proud of what we have done.However, we are not content with our performance level, nor will we ever be, hence the constant attempts at improvement, and the comments on this board do help us (as long as they are constructive) so keep 'em coming... and remember people, "baby steps."

just got back from a little vacation so I felt like checking in on this topic and I must say. WOW! lots of feelings rolling around on here. Here’s some quick points I have1) OU is fl-ash and trash however they are very good at what they do (kinda like a lot of strippers I know) yes Akron plays Hay Baby but who doesn't play one or two easy songs (you'll need more than one to prove that point.) and a big part of the reason OU is so loved with their dancing is because they were one of the first. so props for breaking ground and being good at it but the style it's self is still fl-ash and trash and is the easy style to get noticed with2) in the past five years Akron has played two classical shows and one gave hundreds of high school students a chance to play with the CLEVELAND SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA! so I by no means think anyone should complain about that. as for the other one I see your point 3) Akron needs to do a better job with it's presence on the field and they need to find that identity they can stick with.4) as for playing no aerosmith or other popular songs after the 1950's I must say that would greatly reduce our options5) Akron needs some more organization when moving around the day (getting in to their seats getting into the stadium ect) and I think the new stadium will solve lots of that6) if the UA screws up my ability to drink before the game then the band is going to have to make sure I don't get a hold of an instrument (probably a mello no one likes them anyways) and bludgeon someone with it.

Scott, you are right about the flags, and I personally would get rid of 'em and all of the woodwinds... but its not my decision.P.S. For any HS seniors (who probably don't want to join Akron's band after reading this thread) The annual band "Spirit Night" (HS recruiting even) is Monday, April 13 in Guzzetta Hall Room 09 at 7:00.

Does anyone know if there will be designated tailgating areas on campus. A bunch of us were just planning on tailgating in the Gallucci parking lot and I wasn't sure if that would be allowed...
Didn't you say you live in Gallucci this year? You didn't chose to live in the Gooch again next year, did you?If I were going to stay on campus, I'd rather live in Exchange or at least somewhere in the North Quad. And if the construction on the new dorms is scheduled to be done on time, I'd pick those over anything else.

Does anyone know if there will be designated tailgating areas on campus. A bunch of us were just planning on tailgating in the Gallucci parking lot and I wasn't sure if that would be allowed...
Didn't you say you live in Gallucci this year? You didn't chose to live in the Gooch again next year, did you?If I were going to stay on campus, I'd rather live in Exchange or at least somewhere in the North Quad. And if the construction on the new dorms is scheduled to be done on time, I'd pick those over anything else.
ya it'll be my third year at the gooch, other than horrible internet it isn't that bad and paying out-of-state tuition I don't want to stay anywhere too expensive...

ya it'll be my third year at the gooch, other than horrible internet it isn't that bad and paying out-of-state tuition I don't want to stay anywhere too expensive...
Yeah, I can understand why you would want to stay away from the more expensive stuff. If you really want to save money, I'd suggest living off campus by at least your senior year..but I'm sure this isn't news to you
I wish I still lived in the town house :(
Haha. I can see them from my window and the people there are obnoxious. Always throwing crap in the street and yelling. I'm sure you were more considerate in your college years.. :P

Yeah, I can understand why you would want to stay away from the more expensive stuff. If you really want to save money, I'd suggest living off campus by at least your senior year..but I'm sure this isn't news to you
I wish I still lived in the town house :(
Haha. I can see them from my window and the people there are obnoxious. Always throwing crap in the street and yelling. I'm sure you were more considerate in your college years.. :P
people lost their souls at my house parties (some members of ZN were at a few of those)

Some videos to ponder:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2pDkPqQcU"%5d%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2pDkPqQcU%5b/url%5d2%20%20%20%20%5burl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RMqRwjiT" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RMqRwjiTUw3
We're trying people.... but if you want a 200 person band, we cant kick peoples' asses too much, and if you want a good band we'll have 50 people..... so which is it?
If OU can do it with 110, I say we shoot for 110. We don't need a big, sloppy band just to cover the whole field. We need a more elite group of precision marchers, who take the band seriously, and who play loud. Likewise, OSU's band isn't a huge band, is it? However, they may get away with having fewer members because, if I'm not mistaken, they only allow brass and percussion in the marching band, am I correct? Thus the high volume they produce with a smaller number of precision marchers.If we would actually DECREASE the size of our present band, it may have the effect of making a position on the marching band a prestigious position? Something that must be earned? thus, decreasing the number of openings in the marching band may produce the effect we're desiring?
OU has far more than 110...that's just a name nowadays. They are around 200 people if im not mistaken. How about our band stops making excuses and puts some effort into it. This attitude problem they have won't cut it.
I know plenty of band members who are looking ahead to the season and planning for it now, and this is not true! They do the best with what they have. My advice is until you're gonna go out there and be in Ohio's Pride stop the negative comments. They work hard all semester. Wanna help! an easy one CLAP AFTER THEY PLAY A PEICE show support for a group who puts there tears and sweat YOUR UNIVERSITY... wereall on the same team here folks! and this needs to stop you're suppose to be helping the band, and keep the negative comments yourself....Also when in the case of OU and OSU.... They have had long running traditions and tons of funding since the early 1900's.... Akron, well hasn't. I mean look at our Tuba's...Just think about who reads this! you want band members not to care keep the negative comments coming cause i know about 20-30 of them who read zipsnation on a daily bases and this thread is already going between them, and for those of them who really care. I think you should get it!
i honestly could care less if they wiped the whole program clean. It might be a good idea. Start all over again, because it's just not cutting it.Again though, some band members are saying that they dont have enough time to practice and others are saying that they put all of this hard work in. Which one is it? I honestly don't believe that much effort or care if being put into the playing by majority of the members. If that was the case, the band would like far more professional and be far more in step. So again, stop making excuses and just do what you have to do to get better. The people that keep making excuses still, just cut them. Better to have a smaller better band.

Are you kidding me? I don't think you guys understand what you are here for. You are not here for protecting art, you are here for PLAYING PUMP UP MUSIC AND ENTERTAINING US AT FOOTBALL GAMES. I think alot of you just need to quit and join a concert band or something. I do want more showeyness and i do want you to hump the air and dance. Honestly i'm not even in the loop with the whole band thing but i can tell you that you need to take a look at 9 out of 10 other bands in the country and see that you are rating for below them in terms of what fans think. Honestly how can you say these things and be serious? Or are you being sarcastic?

Are you kidding me? I don't think you guys understand what you are here for. You are not here for protecting art... Honestly i'm not even in the loop with the whole band thing...
Obviously...
fact of the matter is that while I was in band alone we hit just about every genre we could. the only reason he isn't happy is because he doesn’t want to be happy. he wants to sit here and complain until he has exactly what he wants and could care less about anything or anyone else. I doubt he has watched a single halftime show in his life and is basing his entire argument off one or two small instances that he has witnessed the band. I've agreed with some of your points (not just standing around in public view, finding better ways to file in and out of the stands ect) but you are getting to be ridiculous. this band will obviously never please you and no matter what they do you will always find something to cry about so how about you just get over it and continue to prefer monkeys flinging crap at each other over a corp style band that hits a large range of music.and for the record if you only have 4 hrs to get a show ready is not enough no matter how hard you work (not that I would expect you to know anything about that)

Are you kidding me? I don't think you guys understand what you are here for. You are not here for protecting art, you are here for PLAYING PUMP UP MUSIC AND ENTERTAINING US AT FOOTBALL GAMES.
THEY PLAY A LOT OF THAT STUFF!!!!!!!!when the D causes a turn over do they not play the imperial march? (that I've heard many of you say that you like) do they not play jump on it for the students to dance to?do they not play songs that have cheers for you guys to partake in?if you have some stuff that the band can do better then go ahead and state your opinion but for god sake atleast give them credit for doing the things that YOU YOURSELF ARE ASKING FOR!!!
So again, stop making excuses and just do what you have to do to get better. The people that keep making excuses still, just cut them. Better to have a smaller better band.
pardon us for pointing out the flaws in the system. the band is doing the what it can with what it has. no one in the band will tell you it's perfect and just about everyone will agree that there is some things that need to change no one is denying that all we are saying is that more time and funds would go a long way to help and if you can't agree with that then you are out of your mind.
Honestly how can you say these things and be serious? Or are you being sarcastic?
honestly how can you continue to comment on this and not think your making a complete fool out of yourself?

Are you kidding me? I don't think you guys understand what you are here for. You are not here for protecting art... Honestly i'm not even in the loop with the whole band thing...
Obviously...
fact of the matter is that while I was in band alone we hit just about every genre we could. the only reason he isn't happy is because he doesn't want to be happy. he wants to sit here and complain until he has exactly what he wants and could care less about anything or anyone else. I doubt he has watched a single halftime show in his life and is basing his entire argument off one or two small instances that he has witnessed the band. I've agreed with some of your points (not just standing around in public view, finding better ways to file in and out of the stands ect) but you are getting to be ridiculous. this band will obviously never please you and no matter what they do you will always find something to cry about so how about you just get over it and continue to prefer monkeys flinging crap at each other over a corp style band that hits a large range of music.and for the record if you only have 4 hrs to get a show ready is not enough no matter how hard you work (not that I would expect you to know anything about that)
For your information, i have seen every home halftime show for 18 years. And yes i will not be satisfied until our band stops acting like a bunch of sloppy no care high school band members and steps it up to the level they should be it. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.