Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

When and where did you see a blimp formation?! That would rock! Yessss!!! You guys have to do a blimp formation!!!
During halftime at the last game in the Rubber Bowl when we played Up, Up and Away. It was the last set and then we marched it downfield and straight into our seats. Someone wasn't paying attention. It was a tribute to the band back in the 70's.
The original was done back in 1977 (finished in 1978) as part of a promotional video for the Goodyear Sales/Marketing dept. for their sales training department. It was called "Something called Pride". You can see the original blimp in the second video, at the end. It's kind of cool to see the band more than 35 years ago... This video was used to recruit members to the band through NE Ohio as part of a recruiting campaign to get more members in the band.
I refuse to watch that!!!mr Kariker made us watch that every year and I could probably tell you word for word how it goes! :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: but a good video non the less

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When and where did you see a blimp formation?! That would rock! Yessss!!! You guys have to do a blimp formation!!!
During halftime at the last game in the Rubber Bowl when we played Up, Up and Away. It was the last set and then we marched it downfield and straight into our seats. Someone wasn't paying attention. It was a tribute to the band back in the 70's.
The original was done back in 1977 (finished in 1978) as part of a promotional video for the Goodyear Sales/Marketing dept. for their sales training department. It was called "Something called Pride". You can see the original blimp in the second video, at the end. It's kind of cool to see the band more than 35 years ago... This video was used to recruit members to the band through NE Ohio as part of a recruiting campaign to get more members in the band.
No better way to draw new recruits than tell them they'll be playing in miserable weather in front of near empty stands. :)

Here's some good fundraising ideas for you...1. Sell limited edition prints of the Script Zips photo that hangs in the Band Dept. (the really large one of the wall...) I know many fans (both band alumni and Zips fans) that would pay $100 for a copy of that photograph. Seems like that is an easy fundraiser that would make some easy money... Based upon all of the discussion about the Script Zips - I would assume this would be a popular item.I really think #1. above could seriously raise some serious money. Talk to GK/RJ about this one if you're serious about making some money for the band. I would buy one right now...
I'm a student and i would buy one even, actually i would like a picture of the blimp formation you guys did. That was awesome.
How about the Scrpt Zips photo? Anyone elese buy one?

ok I just watched something sad. I was watching all bets are off with bruce drennan and they were at the Jake (don't care what it says on the side of the stadium it's still the Jake) and they were all excited to have the OSwho band there for opening day. it makes me sick that they would pass up a school in their own backyard to go with those guys. The band needs to get things going and make sure crap like this doesn't happen. rant over

ok I just watched something sad. I was watching all bets are off with bruce drennan and they were at the Jake (don't care what it says on the side of the stadium it's still the Jake) and they were all excited to have the OSwho band there for opening day. it makes me sick that they would pass up a school in their own backyard to go with those guys. The band needs to get things going and make sure crap like this doesn't happen. rant over
I'm at the Jake right now, supposedly OSWHO promotes themselves and called them (the indians) to set this up. Well that is what i just heard from two "3rd best band in the land" members.

I'm at the Jake right now, supposedly OSWHO promotes themselves and called them (the indians) to set this up. Well that is what i just heard from two "3rd best band in the land" members.
maybe we should just go down to cowlumbus and do ourselves a Blue Jackets game :D

maybe we should just go down to cowlumbus and do ourselves a Blue Jackets game :D
The CBJ's are going to be playing for the cup, what better time to embarrass that school down south than now by playing in their hometown arena during the NHL playoffs?Somebody get that organized.

The CBJ's are going to be playing for the cup, what better time to embarrass that school down south than now by playing in their hometown arena during the NHL playoffs?Somebody get that organized.
it would be a long shot but worth looking into all the same. problem I see is the fact that whenever we travel we have someone else pay for it (like high school shows and such) but maybe they could get the B&G brass together to do something. maybe my Kappa's could get something rollin.

Last time we tried to organize something ourselves (playing at an Akron hockey game) we were told that everything like that had to go through Mr. J... so bug him, as I would love to go to a Bluejackets game.P.S. I guarantee he will say no. :)
nothing ventured......... :wave:

I just stumbled on to this thread and thought I'd add a few ideas that I've developed over the years.The biggest problem the band has it that the music faculty look at it as strictly a building block for their Music Education program. They require all Music Ed students to be in the Band for 2 years. That creates a lot of apathy and mistakes because there are a few out there that really do not want to march while in college and it shows on the field.Step 1: Drop the Music Ed requirement.Step 2: Cut the poor players in all sections.The open ranks of the band has always bothered me. We've had some very bad players in the past, and everyone knew it, but there was nothing we could do about it because the band doesn't cut players. I would much rather have a band around 120 that is full of GOOD players, than a 200+ member band that has several BAD players. The magic cut number doesn't have to be set either, like the 110, or OSU's 228. Just cut out the "fat" until we have a really good band.Those two steps will fix nearly every "appearance" mistake that you end up seeing as a fan whether it be bad attitude or sloppy posture, etc . The only players that are in the band then are those that WANT to be there and EARNED their way there.I have several other ideas that would make the band much better to listen to as well, but I know they would never be entertained at the top.+Such as make the band an all brass band. The" Marching Symphonic Band" really doesn't cut it for a fan at a football game, and the more brass you have almost always equals greater sound production. When you're sitting in the top of the stands, you really don't hear what the flutes and clarinets bring to the band.+And don't let the students/Grads pick the music. I apologize to them right off, but the students/grads very often pick music that is their favorite or "pet project" and ends up being nothing that the fans want to hear. These shows would be better off saved for when they have their own high school band.+More flushy drill movements during half time. I know Mr. Karriker really wants to do this, especially because he is a product of a good DCI Corps Band, but he has always been afraid of doing it because the band really isn't good enough in marching discipline. If the band starts cutting their bad players though, K can start writing drills the way he wants.+Add an extra week to band camp. The students at OSU do this voluntarily early in the summer and for players wanting to make the cut it is highly recommended. This extra bit of training really gets the basic learning curve out of the way. That way when the band gets down to the regular camp, it can really focus on the core of drill charts and music.

I hope somebody out there in a position to do something is reading this. There's too many excellent ideas here than to have them be ignored and settle for more mediocrity.THIS IS WHAT WE WANT. YOU'RE JOB IS TO BRING US WHAT WE WANT. Most of the ideas here are common sense and easy to implement. Sure some people will complain, but people complain about everything at AkronI don't want to watch a band who only exists because the musicians need it to graduate. Could you imagine if playing on our football team was a requirement for graduation and filled with people who have no business dressing for games, and that everybody had to see the field? It would suck like no other. That's what we have right now with the band.

I hope somebody out there in a position to do something is reading this. There's too many excellent ideas here than to have them be ignored and settle for more mediocrity.THIS IS WHAT WE WANT. YOU'RE JOB IS TO BRING US WHAT WE WANT. Most of the ideas here are common sense and easy to implement. Sure some people will complain, but people complain about everything at AkronI don't want to watch a band who only exists because the musicians need it to graduate. Could you imagine if playing on our football team was a requirement for graduation and filled with people who have no business dressing for games, and that everybody had to see the field? It would suck like no other. That's what we have right now with the band.
things are not nearly THAT bad. the people on the field atleast know how to play and there has been steps started to trim the fat (atleast in pre-game) I wouldn't go as far as saying they "suck like no other" please keep in mind that the director is also a teacher and needs to provide an education experience for the members while entertaining the masses not just give YOU what YOU wantswitching to a brass only band would be a fight and one that I'm not totally sure is worth going through there are a lot of great college bands out there that march wood winds so it can be done.I'm all for eliminating the music ed dealone extra week of practice (even if it's optional) is an amazing idea but first we would have to make it so there would be living conditions for those members even if it's just local band members opening up their homes.I see nothing wrong with letting students/grads pick the shows just as long as when it comes to the final say the fans are taken into account and we aren't fielding stuff that only musicians would enjoy.if we did have an audition for the band then it would have to take place around this time of year so that the students who didn't make it would still be able to scheduale their classes acordingly

I would prefer an all brass-band for sure, but that’s hard to do when some hardcore members play woodwinds. Guess you'd have to talk to them about switching over. I'm not sure we have the quantity in the music department to get the quality brass band we want right now.

I'm one of those crazies who spent 6 yrs in band trying to improve things, 4 years UG, 2 yrs Grad (Stryker - are you Zips DM?). So my ideas for improvement are going to be a bit technical, but here goes.When Mr. Karriker first came to the university, he changed our pre-game marching style to one that is technically quite a bit more difficult than something that say, OU does, but will produce clean lines and a huge sound when implemented correctly. Here's the problem - we've rarely (if ever) implemented that high step well. In my opinion, we have enough people now that we don't necessarily need the sound boost from the raised step. If we went with the easier show style high step, it would look more exciting to fans, who probably don't really care about how strong the sound is. In other words, an easy step done well is preferrable to a difficult step done poorly (at least to me).I would love to see run-on changed to a formation where the band could be playing to the whole stadium at once. From the student section in the rubber bowl, the band was just too far away to hear the drum cadence well, and the sound was all focused on the home sideline. With the new stadium, there will be no 'home side', and hopefully a new pre-game will be developed that plays to everyone in the crowd. After the initial playing of our fight song, as well as the opposition's, I never could understand why the band moved around while playing the short stand cheers. Those would be much more effective if everyone in the stadium could hear what the band is playing the entire time. I would also like to see a 'related formation' for God Bless America and the Star Spangled Banner, instead of the concert setup they do each week. Even better, maybe God Bless America can be switched out for other patriotic songs from time to time. Maybe armed forces marches based on which ROTC presents the flag that day? It would pick things up a little bit between the Alma Mater and the National Anthem.Next, drop 'Win for Akron'. It's slower than most other things we play, its boring (barely moves), nobody outside the band knows the words, and its not even the school's fight song. Play something exciting instead while going to the block Zips please! This song could even change week to week, or cycle through 2-3 pieces. Going into the tunnel is great, but why does the band just stand around while you're there? I believe the drumline could and should continue to play, building up to the team entrance, getting everyone so fired up they don't care if the other team is coming out of their tunnel. I wish people were so fired up for the Zips coming, they don't even care about booing the other team. The team comes out, and boom, we have fireworks, the fight song (played to the ENTIRE stadium, not just a few people on one side), before a spirited march off the field, with the band keeping up energy until they make it all the way off the field.Again, this isn't a huge change from what we have now, but I think they could be significant improvements. Fans like OU because they play to the crowd, and do what they need to do to be always together and sound strong. Musicians and band folk who don't come from swing bands (I'm looking at you, Massillon) tend to dislike OU because they do things as easily as possible, keeping all style and no substance. OU will get invited to many parades year after year, because TV cameras don't care about how you sound, they care about how you look. Never use parade invitations to measure the worth of a band, as many parades will never invite strong sounding bands - their echoes off buildings would sound horrible for the television. I personally hope our band NEVER wears capes, and never dances. We're a marching band, not a dance team.Aaron O,Zips MB 97-03
Dude, I love "Win for Akron", it just needs to be louder!

Here's some good fundraising ideas for you...1. Sell limited edition prints of the Script Zips photo that hangs in the Band Dept. (the really large one of the wall...) I know many fans (both band alumni and Zips fans) that would pay $100 for a copy of that photograph. Seems like that is an easy fundraiser that would make some easy money... Based upon all of the discussion about the Script Zips - I would assume this would be a popular item.2. Many years ago we did a Piano Smash in front of Guzetta Hall, as part of a May Day carnival. We advertised in the ABJ, that we were looking for tired, worn out pianos... We hauled in front of Guzetta and charged $5/swing. It's amazing how many swings it takes to destroy a piano.3. Car Washes, Selling just about anything (including KKY/TBS pledges for a day) was quite common back in the 1980's.The sousaphones that are falling apart, and refurbished in the mid 1980's, along with the risers (built in our townhouse one weekend) were all donated by the KKY/TBS chapter. You should speak with those organizations about ideas.That said, I completely agree that the University should come up with some funds also - I'm just realistic about that happening in the short run. Maybe some of us Alumni will strike it rich and donate our estate to the band.I really think #1. above could seriously raise some serious money. Talk to GK/RJ about this one if you're serious about making some money for the band. I would buy one right now...
Lets integrate the T-Shirt launcher into the Tubas and shoot out T-Shirts during halftime with sponsors logos on them!