Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from the Marching Band Spirit Night. Hunter Yurachek, Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director made a presentation about the stadium and athletics in general to the band and took questions at the end. The band will be sitting around the 20 yard line on the south side of the east stands, right beside the visiting teams bench. We will for sure be doing the march through campus to the stadium. I'm assuming around the fountain at the center of campus, take a right at the Korean War monument, past the JAR to the stadium. There is still no definite answer about whether there will be a skull sessionesque meeting on a regular basis, though there will definately be something for at least the first game. I know, it's vague, that's all we could get out of him.

I just stumbled on to this thread and thought I'd add a few ideas that I've developed over the years.The biggest problem the band has it that the music faculty look at it as strictly a building block for their Music Education program. They require all Music Ed students to be in the Band for 2 years. That creates a lot of apathy and mistakes because there are a few out there that really do not want to march while in college and it shows on the field.Step 1: Drop the Music Ed requirement.Step 2: Cut the poor players in all sections.The open ranks of the band has always bothered me. We've had some very bad players in the past, and everyone knew it, but there was nothing we could do about it because the band doesn't cut players. I would much rather have a band around 120 that is full of GOOD players, than a 200+ member band that has several BAD players. The magic cut number doesn't have to be set either, like the 110, or OSU's 228. Just cut out the "fat" until we have a really good band.Those two steps will fix nearly every "appearance" mistake that you end up seeing as a fan whether it be bad attitude or sloppy posture, etc . The only players that are in the band then are those that WANT to be there and EARNED their way there.I have several other ideas that would make the band much better to listen to as well, but I know they would never be entertained at the top.+Such as make the band an all brass band. The" Marching Symphonic Band" really doesn't cut it for a fan at a football game, and the more brass you have almost always equals greater sound production. When you're sitting in the top of the stands, you really don't hear what the flutes and clarinets bring to the band.+And don't let the students/Grads pick the music. I apologize to them right off, but the students/grads very often pick music that is their favorite or "pet project" and ends up being nothing that the fans want to hear. These shows would be better off saved for when they have their own high school band.+More flushy drill movements during half time. I know Mr. Karriker really wants to do this, especially because he is a product of a good DCI Corps Band, but he has always been afraid of doing it because the band really isn't good enough in marching discipline. If the band starts cutting their bad players though, K can start writing drills the way he wants.+Add an extra week to band camp. The students at OSU do this voluntarily early in the summer and for players wanting to make the cut it is highly recommended. This extra bit of training really gets the basic learning curve out of the way. That way when the band gets down to the regular camp, it can really focus on the core of drill charts and music.
ZippyTuba, you are probably the smartest band member on here. Your ideas are what have been trying to be portrayed but couldn't be said by others. You truly know what it takes to make a great band and I wish more members were like you instead of just defending the laziness/other excuses. (btw, the 110 doesn't have a set number anymore, it used to have 110 but that has since changed)

I just stumbled on to this thread and thought I'd add a few ideas that I've developed over the years.The biggest problem the band has it that the music faculty look at it as strictly a building block for their Music Education program. They require all Music Ed students to be in the Band for 2 years. That creates a lot of apathy and mistakes because there are a few out there that really do not want to march while in college and it shows on the field.Step 1: Drop the Music Ed requirement.Step 2: Cut the poor players in all sections.The open ranks of the band has always bothered me. We've had some very bad players in the past, and everyone knew it, but there was nothing we could do about it because the band doesn't cut players. I would much rather have a band around 120 that is full of GOOD players, than a 200+ member band that has several BAD players. The magic cut number doesn't have to be set either, like the 110, or OSU's 228. Just cut out the "fat" until we have a really good band.Those two steps will fix nearly every "appearance" mistake that you end up seeing as a fan whether it be bad attitude or sloppy posture, etc . The only players that are in the band then are those that WANT to be there and EARNED their way there.I have several other ideas that would make the band much better to listen to as well, but I know they would never be entertained at the top.+Such as make the band an all brass band. The" Marching Symphonic Band" really doesn't cut it for a fan at a football game, and the more brass you have almost always equals greater sound production. When you're sitting in the top of the stands, you really don't hear what the flutes and clarinets bring to the band.+And don't let the students/Grads pick the music. I apologize to them right off, but the students/grads very often pick music that is their favorite or "pet project" and ends up being nothing that the fans want to hear. These shows would be better off saved for when they have their own high school band.+More flushy drill movements during half time. I know Mr. Karriker really wants to do this, especially because he is a product of a good DCI Corps Band, but he has always been afraid of doing it because the band really isn't good enough in marching discipline. If the band starts cutting their bad players though, K can start writing drills the way he wants.+Add an extra week to band camp. The students at OSU do this voluntarily early in the summer and for players wanting to make the cut it is highly recommended. This extra bit of training really gets the basic learning curve out of the way. That way when the band gets down to the regular camp, it can really focus on the core of drill charts and music.
ZippyTuba, you are probably the smartest band member on here. Your ideas are what have been trying to be portrayed but couldn't be said by others. You truly know what it takes to make a great band and I wish more members were like you instead of just defending the laziness/other excuses. (btw, the 110 doesn't have a set number anymore, it used to have 110 but that has since changed)
AMENand btw, having the band at soccer games would be GREAT!Isn't there a rule about "noisemakers" at MAC soccer contests though? Ya know that MAC cant have any noise at their soccer games!

I hope you aren't referring to me. I have plenty of workable suggestions.... but I see no need to post them here, as I can take them driectly to the band leadership.If you want to hear some of them.... I will work on a post.

Zips DM, definitely work on your own suggestions post!! Idk about you, but the way my mind works, if I put things down on paper it helps me organize & refine my thoughts. The more constructive brain-storming from our band "insiders" the better! I wish all the band members were hard core like the band members on ZipsNation!! You guys need to be the leaders of the marching band and infuse the group with your passon!

ya it'll be my third year at the gooch, other than horrible internet it isn't that bad and paying out-of-state tuition I don't want to stay anywhere too expensive...
Yeah, I can understand why you would want to stay away from the more expensive stuff. If you really want to save money, I'd suggest living off campus by at least your senior year..but I'm sure this isn't news to you
I wish I still lived in the town house :(
Haha. I can see them from my window and the people there are obnoxious. Always throwing crap in the street and yelling. I'm sure you were more considerate in your college years.. :P
Nothing wrong with having a little fun. People here are in college you know.

• 3 months later...

Someone mentioned starting a new topic on the band, but this one already has 14 pages so I thought I'd add on here.Just got back from Day 3 of Band Camp, and things are going absolutely fantastic. This is my third year marching and first with Mr. Karriker and it's like being in a completely different world. We have a lot of returning members, intensity and enthusiasm are through the roof and the band already looks and sounds great and is getting better by the second. I would say the new stadium plays a huge part in that. Here are some notes from camp so far...- The new instruments look and sound fantastic. No dents, no duct tape, no sousaphone bells flying off while marching down the street. As of now they are still using the old horns for marching rehearsal and the new ones exclusively for indoor music rehearsals. I mentioned in another thread that there was probably a lot of money donated to get them, but from the way they've been talking it seems it came out of the school of music budget. Because of these, however, as of now the band isn't making a trip to any away games, pro football games or to play an exhibition show at a high school band show. It could be the first year since 1940 the band hasn't needed to rent buses during the season. That will of course change when we go to the Mac Championship Game, followed by a bowl appearance. :thumb: - First practice in the stadium for the band will be this Thursday, so all of you who sneak a peak at the webcams while you're at work might want to keep checking them between 1:30 and 4:00 if you want a quick preview.-As ZipsDM mentioned in the stadium thread pregame will closely resemble that of Michigan State (where Mr. Karriker has been on sabatical.) If you want an idea of what it will look like then watch this link.

Pregame will be all chair step, very high energy with almost no dead time between songs. Oh how I can't wait to walk down that tunnel and play for 30 some thousand screaming fans on September 12. Make sure you cut your pregame tailgating just a little short so you don't miss the first pregame in the new stadium. We'll do our part, just make sure you're at least sober enough to sing through the fight song once before the game starts. :cheers: - On game days we will meet at Guzzetta Hall about 2 hours early to march through campus to the stadium for the first time in history, making stops along the way at some of the tailgating spots, and entering the stadium through the main tunnel.- Last but not least the Pre-Season Camp Performance will take place this Friday at 6:30 in the Stile Field House. We'll march part of pregame, play through some cheers/stand tunes and sing the alma mater. If you're a band fan it's definately the place to be.If you have any suggestions or comments, that you want the band to hear about here's the place to put them! I'll try to get answers to any questions anyone has ASAP. See you on September 12th and GO ZIPS! :rock::champs:

Someone mentioned starting a new topic on the band, but this one already has 14 pages so I thought I'd add on here.Just got back from Day 3 of Band Camp, and things are going absolutely fantastic. This is my third year marching and first with Mr. Karriker and it's like being in a completely different world. We have a lot of returning members, intensity and enthusiasm are through the roof and the band already looks and sounds great and is getting better by the second. I would say the new stadium plays a huge part in that. Here are some notes from camp so far...- The new instruments look and sound fantastic. No dents, no duct tape, no sousaphone bells flying off while marching down the street. As of now they are still using the old horns for marching rehearsal and the new ones exclusively for indoor music rehearsals. I mentioned in another thread that there was probably a lot of money donated to get them, but from the way they've been talking it seems it came out of the school of music budget. Because of these, however, as of now the band isn't making a trip to any away games, pro football games or to play an exhibition show at a high school band show. It could be the first year since 1940 the band hasn't needed to rent buses during the season. That will of course change when we go to the Mac Championship Game, followed by a bowl appearance. :thumb: - First practice in the stadium for the band will be this Thursday, so all of you who sneak a peak at the webcams while you're at work might want to keep checking them between 1:30 and 4:00 if you want a quick preview.-As ZipsDM mentioned in the stadium thread pregame will closely resemble that of Michigan State (where Mr. Karriker has been on sabatical.) If you want an idea of what it will look like then watch this link.
Pregame will be all chair step, very high energy with almost no dead time between songs. Oh how I can't wait to walk down that tunnel and play for 30 some thousand screaming fans on September 12. Make sure you cut your pregame tailgating just a little short so you don't miss the first pregame in the new stadium. We'll do our part, just make sure you're at least sober enough to sing through the fight song once before the game starts. :cheers: - On game days we will meet at Guzzetta Hall about 2 hours early to march through campus to the stadium for the first time in history, making stops along the way at some of the tailgating spots, and entering the stadium through the main tunnel.- Last but not least the Pre-Season Camp Performance will take place this Friday at 6:30 in the Stile Field House. We'll march part of pregame, play through some cheers/stand tunes and sing the alma mater. If you're a band fan it's definately the place to be.If you have any suggestions or comments, that you want the band to hear about here's the place to put them! I'll try to get answers to any questions anyone has ASAP. See you on September 12th and GO ZIPS! :rock::champs:
Can't wait to see and hear you guys perform. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I can guarantee there will be one Zip and his wife on campus at least two hours before the game to follow you from Guezzeta Hall to the stadium.Go Zip band. Create your new traditions! :bow: You guys will make us proud. :)

You know, I really had some doubts that UA would pull this off about 60 days ago. The stadium was still far from done, the ticket sales were lacking, the marketing was no where to be seen, and we we had no idea what traditions were going to be established. I have to say that today, I am pleasantly suprised at how things have come together! The stadium is basically done, the Season ticket sales have exceeded 5500, the marketing has really stepped up and if I've read things correctly, there will be a little band activity through campus prior to what looks like an excellent pregame!!

Bandzip, that was AWESOME!!! You guys look and sound amazing!!! I just got SERIOUS goosebumps watching that - and I'm watching it on my tiny, little BlackBerry screen!!! Honestly, the picture frame is about 1-inch-by-1-inch! Lol! I can't wait for our home opener!!! Keep the band's inrensity level up, cause you guys are rockin'!!! You guys are gonna rock our new house!

I can't wait to see it in the stadium where you'll actually be able to hear all of it "field house accustics kinda suck" still some things that need worked out in it but I'm sure you all agree and have already addressed it. but overall the music and everything is a far better product that it was in my days. (I might have some more days in the future who knows)

Fantastic videos! We've been doing pretty much the same pregame routine for 15 years now, its nice to see some changes there to go with the new stadium. Temptation, the hey song, maybe some other new songs... its great! Nice to have Galen (Dr. Karriker?) back

I was able to watch the videos on my laptop last night (I had previously been relegated to watching them on my BlackBerry) and the routine truly is great! I love how you move through seemlessly through the songs. It gives you an adrenaline rush and then doesn't give you a chance to catch your breath till yhe break for the National Anthem! It's fantastic! Once it starts cranking it's a go and you don't give the audience any breaks where they might be tempted to daydream, turn away, or start talking with a neighbor.I am also absolutely thrilled on how you have incorporated the Leat 'em up, eat 'em up, go Zips, go" cheer. I've been torn on that selection for a number of years now because I just find it so strikingly hokey. But... It is tradition, and you want to give careful consideration to disbanning a tradition, even if some may find it dated. But the way you rock through it one, single time, I think, is fantastic! You incorporate the cheer into the show, yet don't dwell on it for too awful long. The way you have it arranged now I think that even I can bring myself to cheer "eat 'em up, eat 'em up, go Zips, go!" a single, strong time.Can't wait!

I was able to watch the videos on my laptop last night (I had previously been relegated to watching them on my BlackBerry) and the routine truly is great! I love how you move through seemlessly through the songs. It gives you an adrenaline rush and then doesn't give you a chance to catch your breath till yhe break for the National Anthem! It's fantastic! Once it starts cranking it's a go and you don't give the audience any breaks where they might be tempted to daydream, turn away, or start talking with a neighbor.I am also absolutely thrilled on how you have incorporated the Leat 'em up, eat 'em up, go Zips, go" cheer. I've been torn on that selection for a number of years now because I just find it so strikingly hokey. But... It is tradition, and you want to give careful consideration to disbanning a tradition, even if some may find it dated. But the way you rock through it one, single time, I think, is fantastic! You incorporate the cheer into the show, yet don't dwell on it for too awful long. The way you have it arranged now I think that even I can bring myself to cheer "eat 'em up, eat 'em up, go Zips, go!" a single, strong time.Can't wait!
So how does the cheer officially go. I thought it was "eat'em up, beat 'em up, go Zips, GO!"? I guess it really doesn't matter in the end, it all runs together.

If you have any suggestions or comments, that you want the band to hear about here's the place to put them! I'll try to get answers to any questions anyone has ASAP. See you on September 12th and GO ZIPS! :rock::champs:
Can't wait to see and hear you guys perform. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I can guarantee there will be one Zip and his wife on campus at least two hours before the game to follow you from Guezzeta Hall to the stadium.Go Zip band. Create your new traditions! :bow: You guys will make us proud. :)
Hey Mr 72, I have a suggestion for a tradition you can be responsible for starting: The Seattle Sounders Emerald City Supporters fan group marches to every home game behind the club band from Occidental Park, about a quarter mile from Qwest Field. You and the Mrs. should become the pied pipers who pull in tailgaters and your fellow Zips to follow the band members to the stadium. And if you get a great Mexican torta truck to set up outside the stadium, like they have at Qwest, I might come myself! ;)

So how does the cheer officially go. I thought it was "eat'em up, beat 'em up, go Zips, GO!"? I guess it really doesn't matter in the end, it all runs together.
No, it's actually "Ziggy Zoggy Ziggy Zoggy Oy Oy Oy!"
it's eat em up eat em up go zips go but in recent years the ziggy thing has been added on the second time through. of course at this point in time I don't even know anymore