Band-related New Info Traditions

Blue & Gold

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

interfx, the band only got that big of a reaction because they were AT navy... and they saluted the armed services... Talk about pandering to the audience. But, whatever works.I love the style though, a bit dated by today's standards, but quality nonetheless.

May have already been mentioned.....but a pre-game march-through on campus would be excellent.An annecdote:I went to see Akron play Univ of Virginia in Charlottesville in 2004. The campus there is beautiful but very similar to Akron's in that it has multiple parking areas scattered across campus and a central pathway through campus.About 30-45 mins before the game, my buddy and I had parked a short walk away from the stadium and went searching for Zips fans. We followed some people to a street going towards the stadium. Within a minute or so, we heard the definite audible sounds of drumming. As we turned the corner on the main road to the stadium, we saw The University of Virginia Marching Band, Flag Team and Cheerleaders all marching in file announcing another start of a football game. It was amazing to see!This pack of students got everybody's attention. Veteran fans and alumni knowingly congregated towards this street and a giant pack of fans, students and out-of-staters (us) were led Pied Piper style down to the stadium. When this mob arrived, they did not enter the stands, but rather and perfectly turned in unison away from the stadium and towards the accumulated fans along the path. They then proceeded to lead the fans in the Univ's alma mater and several cheers before herding us into the complex. (The best part were the cheerleaders stood 5 feet away from us! :D )If our Spirit Teams could coordinate something like this, I can guarantee you will have everyon's attention.

Why don't you guys do the classical script Zips anymore? (we don't have to make a big deal about dotting the "I" like some schools). And I definitely think the drumline needs to learn a lot more cadences to mix it up. I hear the same one over and over in the stands.
We were criticized in another thread for even bringing up the idea. It's too much of an OSU rip off.
Rip off of OSU? Who do you think actually started it?........................Thats right, MICHIGAN at an OSU MI game. the band did it in the 90's so who cares? If we don't want it to be a rip off then we won't worry about dotting the "i" That is the real tradition for OSU. Tell me this isn't cool.
Just stating a fact man. We were crticized in another thread saying it was too much of a rip off. Here's the link before you you bite my head off.Classic Script ZipsAfter reading that thread again I realize that Root4Roo was complaining back then too. Instead of complaining just give us some reasonable suggestions and we'll listen.
You guys were sure as hell making lame excuses and pointing the blame elsewhere back then as well. Really, it's too bad the guy's that actually take responsibility dont post on here more, they are what the band really needs.

Why don't you guys do the classical script Zips anymore? (we don't have to make a big deal about dotting the "I" like some schools). And I definitely think the drumline needs to learn a lot more cadences to mix it up. I hear the same one over and over in the stands.
We were criticized in another thread for even bringing up the idea. It's too much of an OSU rip off.
Rip off of OSU? Who do you think actually started it?........................Thats right, MICHIGAN at an OSU MI game. the band did it in the 90's so who cares? If we don't want it to be a rip off then we won't worry about dotting the "i" That is the real tradition for OSU. Tell me this isn't cool.
Just stating a fact man. We were crticized in another thread saying it was too much of a rip off. Here's the link before you you bite my head off.Classic Script ZipsAfter reading that thread again I realize that Root4Roo was complaining back then too. Instead of complaining just give us some reasonable suggestions and we'll listen.
You guys were sure as hell making lame excuses and pointing the blame elsewhere back then as well. Really, it's too bad the guy's that actually take responsibility dont post on here more, they are what the band really needs.
no ones saying that script zips isn't cool (I think it's very cool as well) only problem is if you do it in Ohio you will always be told that you are ripping off OSU and everyone will look at is as an OSU rip off and we have enough trouble sepereating ourselves from those people as it is. I would rather find something that is our own. oregon has a nice way of spelling out their name (beavers) in pregame if you wanted to youtube itgrant it you will be ripping off someone at some point in time but it shouldn't be somehting big that another band prides it's self on. and don't write something up as a cry baby excuse just because they have a different point of view than your own :wave:

Any tradition that brings you in proximity with the Zips Cheerleaders is a good thing. Now throw in Miami's Dance Team for an added bonus while you're at it.

May have already been mentioned.....but a pre-game march-through on campus would be excellent.An annecdote:I went to see Akron play Univ of Virginia in Charlottesville in 2004. The campus there is beautiful but very similar to Akron's in that it has multiple parking areas scattered across campus and a central pathway through campus.About 30-45 mins before the game, my buddy and I had parked a short walk away from the stadium and went searching for Zips fans. We followed some people to a street going towards the stadium. Within a minute or so, we heard the definite audible sounds of drumming. As we turned the corner on the main road to the stadium, we saw The University of Virginia Marching Band, Flag Team and Cheerleaders all marching in file announcing another start of a football game. It was amazing to see!This pack of students got everybody's attention. Veteran fans and alumni knowingly congregated towards this street and a giant pack of fans, students and out-of-staters (us) were led Pied Piper style down to the stadium. When this mob arrived, they did not enter the stands, but rather and perfectly turned in unison away from the stadium and towards the accumulated fans along the path. They then proceeded to lead the fans in the Univ's alma mater and several cheers before herding us into the complex. (The best part were the cheerleaders stood 5 feet away from us! :D )If our Spirit Teams could coordinate something like this, I can guarantee you will have everyon's attention.

We said the same thing then we're saying now. We need more money to get instruments that aren't falling apart before we can have a super band. If you can find another D-1 marching band that has worse equipment then we do then point them out. I'd love to see it. There is literally duct tape holding some of the instruments together. Even the two "good" sousaphones we use for the basketball games are in terrible shape. Drummers have had to stop playing on the field because their drums would fall apart. We can't have auditions and cut people until we get people to want to come here. It took 65 million dollars to help the football recruiting and we would only need a fraction of that to help ours. Right now if our numbers go up we're going to have to cut people not because they can't play, but because we don't have working instruments for them to use. I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing before it gets through your thick skull. We aren't making excuse after excuse after excuse. We're trying to tell you how it is and you're being ignorant.

Im sorry... but does anyone else think this topic has gone on for WAYY too long now? I try to keep up on this thread hoping some good information might come of it, but all I see are people bickering left and right.

Im sorry... but does anyone else think this topic has gone on for WAYY too long now? I try to keep up on this thread hoping some good information might come of it, but all I see are people bickering left and right.
We're getting some good tips and ideas every couple of posts, especially from people like Aaron. Some people are trying to use it as a bash the band thread and we're just defending it. My guess is that the march through campus will definately happen, especially since we already do it during the week so we all get to rehearsal at the same time. What do you guys think of instead of doing a skull session type thing we do like we did a couple of years ago where we march around the tailgating area? Then you can all keep drinking and partying. Would that work or would a skull session type thing be a better idea? My concern is that not many people will make the trip to memorial hall or the JAR from Buchtel field when they could be drinking. It would have to take place probably an hour before the game and most people don't even make it into the stadium for the beginning of pregame. Suggestions?

We said the same thing then we're saying now. We need more money to get instruments that aren't falling apart before we can have a super band. If you can find another D-1 marching band that has worse equipment then we do then point them out. I'd love to see it. There is literally duct tape holding some of the instruments together. Even the two "good" sousaphones we use for the basketball games are in terrible shape. Drummers have had to stop playing on the field because their drums would fall apart. We can't have auditions and cut people until we get people to want to come here. It took 65 million dollars to help the football recruiting and we would only need a fraction of that to help ours. Right now if our numbers go up we're going to have to cut people not because they can't play, but because we don't have working instruments for them to use. I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing before it gets through your thick skull. We aren't making excuse after excuse after excuse. We're trying to tell you how it is and you're being ignorant.
Why dont you do something about it then? Go open their eyes and request some funding. All i hear on here are complaining about it but nothing is being done. Why aren't you holding fundraisers? I haven't seen any. Again, excuses but no action...that seems to be the norm here. Here are some poorly funded/not funded at all bands:-Kansas State-University of Virginia (band was just created a few years ago after a massive donation to the school to start it) At least you guys have instruments and exist!-Eastern Tennessee State University (no marching band because of no funding, this is a 14,000 student school)There are more im sure if i looked...the question is how much does the band receive yearly? Does anyone know?

Ya know what? That's what this topic should be about, if no one else is going to do it let's start it here at Zipsnation. Let's work on getting the band the funding it needs so they can get rid of the crappy broke instruments and get on par with the rest of the MAC. Any ideas? How do we petition for such a thing? Maybe start a facebook group to get things rolling?

no ones saying that script zips isn't cool (I think it's very cool as well) only problem is if you do it in Ohio you will always be told that you are ripping off OSU and everyone will look at is as an OSU rip off and we have enough trouble sepereating ourselves from those people as it is. I would rather find something that is our own. oregon has a nice way of spelling out their name (beavers) in pregame if you wanted to youtube itgrant it you will be ripping off someone at some point in time but it shouldn't be somehting big that another band prides it's self on. and don't write something up as a cry baby excuse just because they have a different point of view than your own :wave:
This is right on. Script Zips is indeed cool, but should be avoided like the plague. Ohioans presently live in an OSU bubble. If we do the script Zips, every single person that is sitting in the Info will absolutely think we are trying to shamelessly rip off OSU. We don't want that perception - even if it is completely wrong. Here, I'm cutting and pasting what I posted a page back on perception, no matter how unfair it may be, is reality to most people:WOW! The script Zips looks VERY DIFFICULT!! My big concern would be perception. A wise man (or a foolish man) once said perception is reality. Unfortunately, exceedingly few people are knowledgeable enough about marching bands to know that Michigan did indeed do the first script Ohio and that a number of bands across America do a script this or a script that. It's nothing unique to OSU. However, as absolutely wrong as they may be, I guarantee that 100% of the spectators at the Info would perceive and believe that we are attempting to shamelessly rip of Columbus State if we did a script Zips. p_up.gifp_report.gif

p_edit.gif

Ya know what? That's what this topic should be about, if no one else is going to do it let's start it here at Zipsnation. Let's work on getting the band the funding it needs so they can get rid of the crappy broke instruments and get on par with the rest of the MAC. Any ideas? How do we petition for such a thing? Maybe start a facebook group to get things rolling?
There's already a "friends of the band" fund. Not sure if Lentine's Music was a supporter before they went under, but corporate sponsorships (sticks, heads, reeds, etc.) are one way to help. I'm sure the economy will probably hinder those type of requests. With GK out, I'm not sure who is in charge of getting that funding (RJ?).

There's already a "friends of the band" fund. Not sure if Lentine's Music was a supporter before they went under, but corporate sponsorships (sticks, heads, reeds, etc.) are one way to help. I'm sure the economy will probably hinder those type of requests. With GK out, I'm not sure who is in charge of getting that funding (RJ?).
I guarantee most people dont know about this "friends of the band" fund. The economy may be bad but it's sure as hell not that bad for the school. They need to allocate some funds, and that's what we should be fighting for. I'm sure there are plenty of things in the schools budget that don't need to be and the money could come from there. Small fundraisers could work as well, but i think the way to go is through the school. If they can afford a $65 million stadiuim, they can afford a little money to give us a band that can perform on the level required for our new big stage.

1) CCCCCCAAAAARRRRRRRR WWWWWWWWAAAAAASSSSSSHHHHHHH!!! :lol: 2) anyone think LBJ's gonna come out with a tuba line?but seriously1) look for sponsors Nike/ADIDAS/Bach/Yamahaa/king/pelagreno/OBC/BW's/Winking Lizards (I know bands have sponsorships but don't know if any of those people would be willing to help)2) before we go to the school looking for money we should be able to show them that we are also trying on our own.3) hit up the alumni (if they don't have a few bucks to spare, and right now who the hell does then some of them might just work for someone or even own their own company that could fund us)4) sell a tuba swim suit calender.5) a couple of years back we made a C.D this would seem like total common sense but I haven't seen it at all.SELL THE DAMN C.D!!!!!! advertise every chance you get. facebook is awesome and so is zipsnation. post it all over the place and anounce it at every show!

The Info is getting the band a lot of money (in an indirect way). Bussing the band to the Rubber Bowl for every game used to be a rather large expense for the band. Simply being able to march to the stadium should save enough money for a decent (plastic) Sousaphone. Now, one more 'tuba' isn't going to instantly make the band better sounding, but year after year that they keep this up can make a big difference. I agree with all the funding ideas above, BTW. Set up a table with the CD outside the stadium for donations as well. Sell the CD in the team shops, etc.

The Info is getting the band a lot of money (in an indirect way). Bussing the band to the Rubber Bowl for every game used to be a rather large expense for the band. Simply being able to march to the stadium should save enough money for a decent (plastic) Sousaphone. Now, one more 'tuba' isn't going to instantly make the band better sounding, but year after year that they keep this up can make a big difference. I agree with all the funding ideas above, BTW. Set up a table with the CD outside the stadium for donations as well. Sell the CD in the team shops, etc.
awesome points!I didn't even think about the cost of bussing to and from. not to mention the fact that we whont have to rent a u-haul type truck for this stuff. heres a quick question. where will the band warm up? you don't want to warm up inside if you are about to play outside and warming up infront of the public might not be the most profesional looking thing in the world (or atleast lining up infront of the public) how could we arange it that the entire time in public view is profesional and dress right dress?

awesome points!I didn't even think about the cost of bussing to and from. not to mention the fact that we whont have to rent a u-haul type truck for this stuff. heres a quick question. where will the band warm up? you don't want to warm up inside if you are about to play outside and warming up infront of the public might not be the most profesional looking thing in the world (or atleast lining up infront of the public) how could we arange it that the entire time in public view is profesional and dress right dress?
We'll probably warm up right outside of Guzzetta and then march down to the other end of campus. Yes, it's outside and in public but I don't really see any reason why anyone would be down around that area right before game time.

Here's some good fundraising ideas for you...1. Sell limited edition prints of the Script Zips photo that hangs in the Band Dept. (the really large one of the wall...) I know many fans (both band alumni and Zips fans) that would pay $100 for a copy of that photograph. Seems like that is an easy fundraiser that would make some easy money... Based upon all of the discussion about the Script Zips - I would assume this would be a popular item.2. Many years ago we did a Piano Smash in front of Guzetta Hall, as part of a May Day carnival. We advertised in the ABJ, that we were looking for tired, worn out pianos... We hauled in front of Guzetta and charged $5/swing. It's amazing how many swings it takes to destroy a piano.3. Car Washes, Selling just about anything (including KKY/TBS pledges for a day) was quite common back in the 1980's.The sousaphones that are falling apart, and refurbished in the mid 1980's, along with the risers (built in our townhouse one weekend) were all donated by the KKY/TBS chapter. You should speak with those organizations about ideas.That said, I completely agree that the University should come up with some funds also - I'm just realistic about that happening in the short run. Maybe some of us Alumni will strike it rich and donate our estate to the band.I really think #1. above could seriously raise some serious money. Talk to GK/RJ about this one if you're serious about making some money for the band. I would buy one right now...

Here's some good fundraising ideas for you...1. Sell limited edition prints of the Script Zips photo that hangs in the Band Dept. (the really large one of the wall...) I know many fans (both band alumni and Zips fans) that would pay $100 for a copy of that photograph. Seems like that is an easy fundraiser that would make some easy money... Based upon all of the discussion about the Script Zips - I would assume this would be a popular item.2. Many years ago we did a Piano Smash in front of Guzetta Hall, as part of a May Day carnival. We advertised in the ABJ, that we were looking for tired, worn out pianos... We hauled in front of Guzetta and charged $5/swing. It's amazing how many swings it takes to destroy a piano.3. Car Washes, Selling just about anything (including KKY/TBS pledges for a day) was quite common back in the 1980's.The sousaphones that are falling apart, and refurbished in the mid 1980's, along with the risers (built in our townhouse one weekend) were all donated by the KKY/TBS chapter. You should speak with those organizations about ideas.That said, I completely agree that the University should come up with some funds also - I'm just realistic about that happening in the short run. Maybe some of us Alumni will strike it rich and donate our estate to the band.I really think #1. above could seriously raise some serious money. Talk to GK/RJ about this one if you're serious about making some money for the band. I would buy one right now...
I'm a student and i would buy one even, actually i would like a picture of the blimp formation you guys did. That was awesome.

How about "Adopt a Band Member" or where a few dollars donation will provide the donor with a cool Trading Card with silly, orserious "action shots." The front of the card can show Name/Instrument, along with a cool Zips logo. And on the back will be the "stats." The Bandmembers hometown, major, favorite music etc. It could be a really fun project, done cheaply with a normal printer with card stock paper. B) p.s. the length of this thread proves the days of apathy are over.

When and where did you see a blimp formation?! That would rock! Yessss!!! You guys have to do a blimp formation!!!
During halftime at the last game in the Rubber Bowl when we played Up, Up and Away. It was the last set and then we marched it downfield and straight into our seats. Someone wasn't paying attention. It was a tribute to the band back in the 70's.

When and where did you see a blimp formation?! That would rock! Yessss!!! You guys have to do a blimp formation!!!
During halftime at the last game in the Rubber Bowl when we played Up, Up and Away. It was the last set and then we marched it downfield and straight into our seats. Someone wasn't paying attention. It was a tribute to the band back in the 70's.
You have done it in the past as well.

The original was done back in 1977 (finished in 1978) as part of a promotional video for the Goodyear Sales/Marketing dept. for their sales training department. It was called "Something called Pride". You can see the original blimp in the second video, at the end. It's kind of cool to see the band more than 35 years ago... This video was used to recruit members to the band through NE Ohio as part of a recruiting campaign to get more members in the band.