J.D. Weatherspoon

Please....don't let us blow a chance at a potentially good 4-year player over the Roberts situation.
Taking a "potentially good 4 year player" over a CERTAINLY good 4 year player is pretty risky in my mind. Roberts has to be the best walk-on in D1 basketball .. if not, he's close.Take a look a the biggest games the Zips have played in the last 2 years. In most (FSU, Gonzaga, MAC tourney) .. Roberts was HUGE. Against the big schools, he comes up big.Taking care of him shouldn't be disregarded, IMHO.Go Zips!! B) B) B)

Taking a "potentially good 4 year player" over a CERTAINLY good 4 year player is pretty risky in my mind. Roberts has to be the best walk-on in D1 basketball .. if not, he's close.Take a look a the biggest games the Zips have played in the last 2 years. In most (FSU, Gonzaga, MAC tourney) .. Roberts was HUGE. Against the big schools, he comes up big.
100% agreed. Roberts is a proven commodity. He gets the scholarship. You can't take away what the kid has earned.

Taking a "potentially good 4 year player" over a CERTAINLY good 4 year player is pretty risky in my mind. Roberts has to be the best walk-on in D1 basketball .. if not, he's close.Take a look a the biggest games the Zips have played in the last 2 years. In most (FSU, Gonzaga, MAC tourney) .. Roberts was HUGE. Against the big schools, he comes up big.
100% agreed. Roberts is a proven commodity. He gets the scholarship. You can't take away what the kid has earned.
You're not taking a "potentially good 4 year player" over a CERTAINLY good 4 year player. The second would be a CERTAINLY good 1 year player. I think Darryl's huge to this team, but there are other members of this team too. Don't the younger members deserve to have done what's best for the team going into the future?Another thought. Let's say your son gets married. Being the good, loving parent, you blow tons of coin on an all out party--best wedding ever. Six months down the road he starts running around with losers, cheats on his wife, and ultimately leads to a divorce that was all his own doing. Then, 2 years down the road, he's straightened himself back out and is getting married again. However, your daughter is pretty close to being engaged too. Are you dropping $20,000 more on your son's second wedding, or holding onto it for little sis's first?

You're not taking a "potentially good 4 year player" over a CERTAINLY good 4 year player. The second would be a CERTAINLY good 1 year player. I think Darryl's huge to this team, but there are other members of this team too. Don't the younger members deserve to have done what's best for the team going into the future?Another thought. Let's say your son gets married. Being the good, loving parent, you blow tons of coin on an all out party--best wedding ever. Six months down the road he starts running around with losers, cheats on his wife, and ultimately leads to a divorce that was all his own doing. Then, 2 years down the road, he's straightened himself back out and is getting married again. However, your daughter is pretty close to being engaged too. Are you dropping $20,000 more on your son's second wedding, or holding onto it for little sis's first?
are we assuming that I can afford a 55 million dollar stadium?I would take the high road and do as promised. I'm not sure if we promised Roberts anything, but he deserves a scholarship. I don't wanna see a program fall like a jenga game just because we got greedy.

I don't think we would be at all risking the program and getting greedy if we gave a scholarship to Weatherspoon and Payne and didn't hold one back for Roberts. Like I said before, Roberts had his opportunity at a scholarship, and he blew it. The program can't be expected to completely change their recruiting strategy twice for Daryl (once when he quit and again by giving him a scholarship back). I love what the kid has done for us, and if the opportunity presents itself where he can get a scholarship I hope he gets it. But we have had a pretty good recruiting strategy the last couple of years with KD and I don't think we can continuously change that just for one player. Especially when that player will only have one year of eligibility left. You can't guarantee that talents like Weatherspoon and Payne would be available to us in 2011. If those two want to commit to the Zips for 2010, then the scholarships should go to them.