J.D. Weatherspoon

So I was stumbling around and ran across some new info. After Xavier head coach Sean Miller's departure to Arizona State, it looked like it shook things up a bit. Here's another recruit who looks to be considering Akron. Judge for yourselves, I think he looks pretty promising:J.D. Weatherspoon Columbus (OH) NorthlandRivals Link

So I was stumbling around and ran across some new info. After Xavier head coach Sean Miller's departure to Arizona State, it looked like it shook things up a bit. Here's another recruit who looks to be considering Akron. Judge for yourselves, I think he looks pretty promising:J.D. Weatherspoon Columbus (OH) NorthlandRivals Link
He is a teammate of Payne! They are only the same AAU!

Weatherspoon was on the Zips radar long ago. I'm not sure how much we stayed in touch with him after he commited to Xavier. I'm not a premium member of Rivals so I don't know what the article says, but it certainly implies that he's at least thinking about de-commiting. As far as talent goes. He would be a great add for the Zips. Maybe not on a Zeke/Payne level, but close. He would certainly give us the athletic wing player that we will be looking for over the next couple years.No offense to Daryl Roberts, but I would absolutely love to add both Weatherspoon and Payne. It would suck that Daryl wouldn't be able to get a scholarship for his senior year, but Weatherspoon and Payne along with Zeke, Humpty, Nikola and company would make a REALLY formidable team.

Dayton has a verbal from the PG on the AAU Team with Weatherspoon and Payne. According to thier fans they have 4 scholarships left for 2010. They have a good shot at landing all three. I hope not but looks like the have the inside track. I guess is comes down to how far these guys want to play away from home.

No offense to Daryl Roberts, but I would absolutely love to add both Weatherspoon and Payne. It would suck that Daryl wouldn't be able to get a scholarship for his senior year, but Weatherspoon and Payne along with Zeke, Humpty, Nikola and company would make a REALLY formidable team.
That would be dirty pool in my book. The first scholarship available after Zeke's should be Roberts', and I'm sure it will be.

When I first looked at Weatherspoon's profile I was underwhelmed at him only being 6-6. I've seen enough 6-6 "power forwards" in the MAC to last a long time. However, when you watch his videos you realize how explosive he is. He plays above the rim, which most MAC players don't do.

When I first looked at Weatherspoon's profile I was underwhelmed at him only being 6-6. I've seen enough 6-6 "power forwards" in the MAC to last a long time. However, when you watch his videos you realize how explosive he is. He plays above the rim, which most MAC players don't do.
honestly, that kid has some hops

KD has consistently moved the program forward by making wise decisions that encompass the "do the right thing" philosophy. Giving Roberts his well-deserved scholarship certainly falls under this category. I would be disappointed if he doesn't get it, regardless of any potential recruiting loss.

KD has consistently moved the program forward by making wise decisions that encompass the "do the right thing" philosophy. Giving Roberts his well-deserved scholarship certainly falls under this category. I would be disappointed if he doesn't get it, regardless of any potential recruiting loss.
Good man. Let's just focus on Major Payne! :rock:

What if Roberts doesn't want/need a scholarship? I got the impression from an earlier interview with KD that Roberts was okay with his status as a walk-on. :P BTW, We met his family at the game in Portland and they were very nice. :)

With all due respect to Daryl, he had his chance as far as the scholarship things went. Now I know he's gotten things turned around, and he's a valuable player for us right now, but if he doesn't end up going on scholarship at some point in his collegiate career he really only has himself to blame.All of this also assumes that we will only have 2 scholarships available in 2010. With the depth and talent that we have right now it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see someone transfer out to try and find more playing time. I would hate to see it happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What if Roberts doesn't want/need a scholarship? I got the impression from an earlier interview with KD that Roberts was okay with his status as a walk-on. :P BTW, We met his family at the game in Portland and they were very nice. :)
If Darryl has professed that he's OK with the situation "as is", then I suppose that changes things somewhat. Of course this is total speculation on my part, but what if Darryl is just (like a lot of us) simply not one who pushes very hard for their own benefit. Maybe he feels like he shouldn't expect any help since he left the team early on. Regardless, I still say you reward him. He and his family have sacrificed enough to this point, IMHO.

I agree, and I really don't wanna think about transfers...The point is it would be crazy not to have Weatherspoon as interested as possible. I would not count on Payne. We'll hopefully know in a few weeks if he's still interested but I have a feeling he's gonna hold off on committing for awhile. I'd have other options and from what I see it would be crazy not to pick Weatherspoon up. Is he not what we're looking for?

With all due respect to Daryl, he had his chance as far as the scholarship things went. Now I know he's gotten things turned around, and he's a valuable player for us right now, but if he doesn't end up going on scholarship at some point in his collegiate career he really only has himself to blame.All of this also assumes that we will only have 2 scholarships available in 2010. With the depth and talent that we have right now it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see someone transfer out to try and find more playing time. I would hate to see it happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.
BINGO!!!!!!!!First, would anyone here really want to see us lose out on a good recruit for 4 years just because we extended a courtesy to Darryl for his last year of eligibility? The second part is a great point as well. As much as I hate to say this (but I've said it before), with this big stockpile of young talent, it would surprise me if everyone stays happy, and nobody gets disgruntled over playing time and makes an exit. Someone will likely go, and that could give Keith the opportunity to give Darryl some paid tuition for his last year.Please....don't let us blow a chance at a potentially good 4-year player over the Roberts situation.