King James Classic

It looks like this years Kings James Classic is going to be highly anticipated, so let the build-up begin! As Zip's fans we know how much is at stake and look forward to a fine display of future talent. Here are some tid-bits to get the juices flowing:

---Joyce said he expects about 552 teams from the U.S. and Canada to participate in the tournament for boys ages 10 to 17. ---And Joyce said he expects the tournament this year to be the largest of its kind, regardless of the time of year, because July is when bigger cities across the country hold similar tournaments.
---Some potential Zips will be showing off their skills including J.D. Weatherspoon and Adreian Payne who is listed as the number 2 center in the class of 2010. King James Classic still popular, but now off limits to Division I college coaches

I'm not sure if the coaching restrictions help us or hurt us. On one hand, we can't be there in the ear of a kid like Weatherspoon or Payne encouraging them to come to Akron. On the other hand, neither can other coaches. And these kids will still primarily be on our campus so we still have an advantage there.

As we get closer, I'll remind everyone to review the contact rules. Certainly nothing prevents Zips fans from being seen at these events .. but contact is a no-no.Now 20 paying spectators in Akron gear watching a game, supporting a team .. shouldn't be a problem with that. B) B) B) B) Go Zips .. er .. OH Red?

---Joyce said he expects about 552 teams from the U.S. and Canada to participate in the tournament for boys ages 10 to 17. ---And Joyce said he expects the tournament this year to be the largest of its kind, regardless of the time of year, because July is when bigger cities across the country hold similar tournaments.
I read the second sentence in the article (above) multiple times, and I STILL can't make heads or tails of it's grammar and logic. But I can tell you, the Big Time Tournament in Vegas is about twice as big in # of ballers.And maybe someone can call an NCAA attorney for the definitions of "contact" and "booster". Is no one wearing an Akron Zips T-shirt allowed to tell a player he'd enjoy watching him wear blue and beige?

I read the second sentence in the article (above) multiple times, and I STILL can't make heads or tails of it's grammar and logic. But I can tell you, the Big Time Tournament in Vegas is about twice as big in # of ballers.
What do you expect, look at the by-line, David Lee Morgan. Thank goodness he no longer covers the Zips.

I read the second sentence in the article (above) multiple times, and I STILL can't make heads or tails of it's grammar and logic. But I can tell you, the Big Time Tournament in Vegas is about twice as big in # of ballers.And maybe someone can call an NCAA attorney for the definitions of "contact" and "booster". Is no one wearing an Akron Zips T-shirt allowed to tell a player he'd enjoy watching him wear blue and beige?
It's pretty clear cut. We're not to have direct contact with the potential recruit or family members. Not sure who the Blue and Beige are .. but if a UA booster finds themselves encountering a potential recruit or family member, he or she is only permitted to exchange pleasantries. If the recruit/family has questions, the UA booster can only refer them to the Athletic Department staff or coaches, per NCAA guidance.See This link and scroll down to booster behavior.

It's pretty clear cut. We're not to have direct contact with the potential recruit or family members. Not sure who the Blue and Beige are .. but if a UA booster finds themselves encountering a potential recruit or family member, he or she is only permitted to exchange pleasantries. If the recruit/family has questions, the UA booster can only refer them to the Athletic Department staff or coaches, per NCAA guidance.See This link and scroll down to booster behavior.
Who says the person is a booster? I bet there are people on ZN who are not students or alumni. They can say whatever they want.

Any individual who is an alumnus, benefactor, season ticket holder or simply a fan of the athletics programs can be considered by the NCAA to be a representative of its athletics interests and is subject to these restrictions. It's just not worth the risk for anyone on these forums to initiate any kind of contact with any player we have any interest in seeing play with the Zips.

The NCAA can get pretty tricky in their interpretation even in something that appears to be innocent contact, but the rules are fairly clear. If you have an interest in a program you can be considered a booster. You don't want to end up being "that guy" who gets the program in trouble and potentially gets a recruit we wanted to end up playing soemwhere else because of soemthing "illegal" that we did.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I show up in a Zips shirt and hold up a sign that has the logos of Xavier, OSU, Dayton, and WVU all with X's going right through them and in the very middle have the UA logo circled? :D
you can do whatever you want, you're a casual zips fan and in no way part of the university. These rules are only made to punish certain schools when the NCAA feels the need to push it's agenda. Much like the banning of Indian symbols.