Frye to ditch 5 and where number 9 for Cleveland

Big Zip

Dr.Z,

If the retards at Browns Stadium still wear #54 for a guy who never played a down in a regular season (Speilman), you don't have to change your number. Just buy a new jersey. The money will go to Charlie for any products with his name on it.

I'm sure Charlie could have had 5 if he wanted, but if you watched his press conference at the Browns facility he was adamant about just give me a number and the ball -- the number doesn't mean anything to him.

That was by far the best quote from Frye I’ve read since the draft. While everyone else is worrying about their number, Frye says he just wants the ball. :rock:

Historical tidbit... Frye wanted #3 when he came to Akron but it was already taken... when the number opened up he had been in #5 for two years and decided to stay with the cinco. His first choice with Cleveland would probably be 3 as well, which was Joe Montana's college number.

Just checked out the roster on Cleveland Browns.com. Frye is indeed going to wear #9 and Josh Harris is listed as wearing #5. Kyle Richardson has 10 and Derrick Frost has 3. I think it was Kenny Roda on WKNR that interviewd Frye the other day and said that Richardson had #5. My guess is that even if Harris doesn't make the team, Frye will stick with 9 just because that the way he is wired. Based upon what he said during his press conference, he really doesn't care much about what number he wears. He's definitely a throwback. Hopefully the second coming of Unitas.