Delmonico Departs, Homayed Here

Jake "The Steak" Delmonico, like Jake Brandt, was here for the entire summer...then quit 4 days into camp. Beat Brandt by 1 day.Abdallah Homayed is on-campus. but in NCAA clearing house "limbo." His grades and test scores are fine. There is an issue with credit for one of his HS classes. Who knows how long it will take the NCAA to get it straightened out. The issue is also affecting two other recruits from his high school, one who's @ BG. :wave:

Jake "The Steak" Delmonico, like Jake Brandt, was here for the entire summer...then quit 4 days into camp. Beat Brandt by 1 day.Abdallah Homayed is on-campus. but in NCAA clearing house "limbo." His grades and test scores are fine. There is an issue with credit for one of his HS classes. Who knows how long it will take the NCAA to get it straightened out. The issue is also affecting two other recruits from his high school, one who's @ BG. :wave:
Thanks for the update. Not very often you read about freshman just quitting. To have 2 in the same year is strange.Any word on Couch?

Thanks for the update. Not very often you read about freshman just quitting. To have 2 in the same year is strange.
I agree. What gives?

Thanks for the update. Not very often you read about freshman just quitting. To have 2 in the same year is strange.Any word on Couch?
Couch is Grayshirting. He'll enroll in the spring. The Zips can't dedicate 2 scholarships to punters.

I hate to be the first one to say it and open up the can of worms here, but...Can someone please explain to me again how JD has "learned his lessons" and is "improving his recruiting"? I understand last year was better, but this year feels like a major step backwards.
Because the players never made it on to the field? And we don't know what the outcome of the appeals will be?

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/0...c8776579986.txt
Delmonico, an all-state defensive back at Blackhawk last year, had a scholarship to the University of Akron. But he left the school and joined Geneva College for the fall, a drop from an NCAA Division I program to a Division III school.“It wasn’t a playing time issue. I just didn’t feel comfortable there. There was no one incident that changed my mind. It was a gradual thing, and it was something I prayed about a lot. They weren’t happy when I told them I wanted to leave, but they gave me my release.”

Only two players from the class of 2009 have left. The rest are either greyshirting or working with the NCAA to become eligible. Sometimes the high school counselers don't know what they're doing, especially if they are at a school that doesn't produce many D-1 recruits.
True, but each time it has always started that guys just didn't initially make it. Then they end up never seeing the field.I hope this is different, but history tells us differently.

Only two players from the class of 2009 have left. The rest are either greyshirting or working with the NCAA to become eligible. Sometimes the high school counselers don't know what they're doing, especially if they are at a school that doesn't produce many D-1 recruits.
Agree. My son recieved a scholarship to Akron and both our counslers had everthing screwed up. I had to tell them what to do. This is very common, especially when the kids come from small schools. Ours didn't even know what the clearinghouse was. They thought it was a magazine program. SERIOUSLY. Give it some time. Also the clearinghouse works very slow

As long as they get to practice with the team before the season begins and will become eligible by Sept. 5th, I'll be patient. There's always the redshirt or greyshirt options, but if the players could contribute this season it can get frustrating. The "wait 'till next year" thing has run its course for me. I want to see these guys NOW, especially if they are able to contribute immediately.

I hate to be the first one to say it and open up the can of worms here, but...Can someone please explain to me again how JD has "learned his lessons" and is "improving his recruiting"? I understand last year was better, but this year feels like a major step backwards.
It's no secret that I think we need to bring in kids who aren't just here for the athletics, but we should at least let these kids get a semester of school under their belt before crossing them off. I for one hope the issues they are having with the clearinghouse motivates them in the classroom and they come out of Akron with a degree. Show us what you've got guys!

I heard that Chris Henderson is gone. He went back to Milford Academy. :(
Not true. Like Homayed, he is stuck in NCAA clearing house limbo. If the cases are not reviewed by next week, then they cannot enroll for the fall semester. Ultimately, both will enroll at UA. Hopefully they are eligible this fall.Don't let it hit you in the head.Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

The Clearinghouse is a funny thing, a lot of times problems come up because of lack of communication between high schools and the NCAA. When I sent mine in, they said that I was missing a laboratory science even though I had taken physics for two years. At my high school physics was considered a lab science (weird that they would think it wasn't), but they failed to register that with the NCAA. It took me all summer to get it straight but I was finally eligible before season started.Moral of the story, NCAA is bureaucratic and mindless red tape and paperwork consumes them. Don't sweat the details till gametime.