UA vs OSU in game thread

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting difference in strategy. When the goalkeepers get teh ball, OSU likes to kick it all the way down the field. About 60% of the time UA will get the ball on this. Akron likes to roll the ball to a UA player deep in their own end and work the ball upfield, which they are very successful with.
That's the difference between so-called "long ball" versus possession play. Often teams that are inferior from a skill standpoint opt for the "long ball".
Thanks for bringing up this issue. Remember in the interview last year, where Ben Speas said he chose Akron in part because they play a more "short-pass-oriented" game? Back in the 1970's, about the only team who's GK distributed the ball forward through the defense was Jerry Yeagley's Hoosier team. I remember watching Ken Lolla's team in Portland, and in Seattle almost a decade ago, and they invariably played "boom ball", hoping to catch the defense asleep, and almost never working, as they failed to win a game as I recall in those two tournaments. Now, with the incredible talent on our club, we can dribble rings around our opponents. And I bet Akron is one of the paciest teams in the nation, if not the slickest. We outrun the defense with the ball now, no need to pass over the top and hope to trap the ball.1-0 at halftime? Well, in Caleb Porterology: That's All Folks!

This team is absolutely amazing! They just dominate whoever they play.I hope the poll makers can see and apreciate these results. My guess is they are waiting around the corner, if we ever stumble in one game and tie with a good team in a game somewhere, we will drop to like 10th position in the ranking.

How rowdy were the Rowdies and how pro-UA was the crowd? Were there any pro-Columbus State d-bags there?
We were pretty damn rowdy...The first half was a little quiet since we were on our side but after the half, when their goalie was right in front of us, all hell broke loose. It's great when on corner kicks, we're so loud that the goalie and defenders that are screaming to each other, cupping their ears trying to hear the commands, get pissed at their own team HAHA

This team is absolutely amazing! They just dominate whoever they play.I hope the poll makers can see and apreciate these results. My guess is they are waiting around the corner, if we ever stumble in one game and tie with a good team in a game somewhere, we will drop to like 10th position in the ranking.
You know in other years I would agree with you, but I think the talent on this team has become very obvious, I think it would take a major stumble to drop like that in the polls right now. Very few teams are having good years, a lot of them are dropping games they shouldn't. The other remaining undefeated teams (we just reduced that number by one today) have not played the kind of schedule we have. Do you think there is a chance we could have won the Big Ten this year? I certainly do.

You know in other years I would agree with you, but I think the talent on this team has become very obvious, I think it would take a major stumble to drop like that in the polls right now. Very few teams are having good years, a lot of them are dropping games they shouldn't. The other remaining undefeated teams (we just reduced that number by one today) have not played the kind of schedule we have. Do you think there is a chance we could have won the Big Ten this year? I certainly do.
I don't think there is any doubt we would have won the Big 10 this year. Hands down run the table undefeated in the Big 10 if we were in it. However we will see us play five of the 7 throughout the year so we'll have a really good indication at the end of the year.

This group of guys is scary good. Unbelievable ball-handling skills. I've never seen a team keep possession of the ball the way these guys do. When the opposing team does take possession, our guys stay aggressive and never really let the other team get organized on offense. Our guys always seem to be where they're supposed to be on the field. Congrats Caleb on putting together something special. :bow:

This group of guys is scary good. Unbelievable ball-handling skills. I've never seen a team keep possession of the ball the way these guys do. When the opposing team does take possession, our guys stay aggressive and never really let the other team get organized on offense. Our guys always seem to be where they're supposed to be on the field. Congrats Caleb on putting together something special. :bow:
Amen dad...

Man, did that win feel good! The Indiana game will probably end up as the bigger game as far as standings go, but the OSU game was more important as an attention-getter. Too much OSU apparel on campus today.Also, the OSU team was in the JAR before the game, shooting hoops on the basketball court.I do wonder if anybody at OSU tried to organize a road trip for this game, like UA did last year. If they tried, it wasn't successful. I'm kind of disappointed.

How rowdy were the Rowdies and how pro-UA was the crowd? Were there any pro-Columbus State d-bags there?
We were pretty damn rowdy...The first half was a little quiet since we were on our side but after the half, when their goalie was right in front of us, all hell broke loose. It's great when on corner kicks, we're so loud that the goalie and defenders that are screaming to each other, cupping their ears trying to hear the commands, get pissed at their own team HAHA
Absolutely loved the "Brutus hates you" chant. :bow: