Notre Dame's Rob Ianello

Akron1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the recruiting prowess, but no HC experience, or even as a high level coordinator makes me nervous. If he is the pick, I'd hope that a staff is put together that compensates for this.
I agree! Resume seems a little thin. In 1999, he was named one of the top-10 recruiters in the nation by ESPN.com and one of the top six recruiters nationally by Sporting News.

Right. Because the last Notre Dame coordinator to coach a MAC school (Miami) did so well. :rolleyes: Are we actively going after people with no experience whatsoever?How will he adjust to having to work within limits instead of having hundreds of millions of dollars thrown his way whenever he needs something?

I love the recruiting prowess, but no HC experience, or even as a high level coordinator makes me nervous. If he is the pick, I'd hope that a staff is put together that compensates for this.
no hc experience at the college level???...we just watched 6 years of someone who had no head coaching experience anywhere..there are too many good candidates with experience out there to settle for this...

Akron:FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and FIRST TO REPORT that Rob Ianello (Wide Receiver Coach/Recruiting Coordinator will be named the new Head Coach by Athletic Director Tom Wistrcill. According to our sources, the contract is almost finished with the University Officials.http://footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html

Akron:FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and FIRST TO REPORT that Rob Ianello (Wide Receiver Coach/Recruiting Coordinator will be named the new Head Coach by Athletic Director Tom Wistrcill. According to our sources, the contract is almost finished with the University Officials.http://footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html
:(

ianello_headshot175x250.jpg Rob IanelloPosition:Asst. HC - Offense/Receivers/Recruiting Coordinator Alma Mater:The Catholic University of America '87 Promoted to assistant head coach (offense) in January 2009 and will lead offensive staff meetings when head coach Charlie Weis is not present. A member of the Irish coaching staff since 2005, he has coached five of the most prolific receiving seasons in Notre Dame history as well as coordinated four-straight top-15 recruiting classes. As the recruiting coordinator for the Irish, he directed three consecutive top-10 recruiting classes from 2006-08, something only three other schools (USC, Florida and Georgia) could claim. He is also the only coach named one of the 25-best recruiters in the country each of the last five years by Rivals.com. In the book The Second Season by recruiting analyst Tom Lemming, Ianello is named one of the top-10 recruiters of the last 30 years. Under his guidance, five of the eight best individual receiving seasons in Notre Dame history have occurred. In the past four seasons, four Irish receivers have caught more than 60 passes in a season, while five players have eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards. Notre Dame's records for most receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns by a freshman, sophomore, junior and senior have all been recorded under his watch. He has played a crucial role in helping the Irish record the three-most prolific passing seasons in school history In 2008, Golden Tate and Michael Floyd rewrote the record book for freshman and sophomore receivers at Notre Dame. Tate tallied 58 receptions for 1,080 yards and 10 TDs while Floyd registered 48 catches for 719 yards and seven TDs. Freshmen and sophomores combined to make 18 starts in 2007 and caught 88 passes for 1.021 yards and six TDs. Duval Kamara set freshman records (broken in '08 by Floyd) for receptions and receiving yards in a season. Jeff Samardzija, Maurice Stovall and Rhema McKnight captivated Irish fans in 2005-06. Samardzija set school records with 1,249 receiving yards and 15 TDs in '05 and 77 receptions in '06. His 179 career catches for 2,593 yards and 27 TDs are Irish records. Stovall caught 69 passes for 1,149 yards and 11 TDs in '05, the second-most receiving yards in a single season in school history. McKnight tied Samardzija's school record with 15 receiving TDs in '06 and the two combined to lead the nation with 27 receiving TDs. He coached at Wisconsin for two years prior to joining Notre Dame and helped lead the Badgers to the 2003 Music City Bowl and 2005 Outback Bowl. At Wisconsin, helped develop Owen Daniels from a recruited quarterback into a tight end. Daniels is now one of the top receiving tight ends in the NFL. Served as recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach at Arizona and helped develop Bobby Wade and Dennis Northcutt. Wade led the Pacific-10 Conference with 93 receptions for 1,389 yards and eight TDs in 2002, while Northcutt caught 88 passes in 1999. In 1999, he was named one of the top-10 recruiters in the nation by ESPN.com and one of the top six recruiters nationally by Sporting News. Helped Arizona's 1998 squad to a 12-1 record and number four national ranking. He was elected to the board of trustees of the American Football Coaches Association in January 2003. The board formulates policy and provides direction for the AFCA. Ianello also charis the AFCA's assistant coaches committee and is the general chairman of the AFCA's all-division assistant coaches committee. Born Nov. 4, 1965, he is a native of Port Chester, N.Y., and is a 1987 graduate of The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. with a bachelor's degree in English. He and his wife, the former Denise Dove, have one son, Zachary, and two daughters, Ashley and Courtney. Denise is a former assistant women's basketball coach at Arizona and Wisconsin and is now a scout in the WNBA.

I'm skeptical. But do we really know what we are getting as far as X's and O's? He's not even an offensive or defensive coordinator so we don't even know his playcalling.. I think Weis pretty much ran the offense. I don't know. It's a roll of the dice to me. Now if you're recruiting at Notre Dame you had better have a top 10 recruiting class. I'm a little perplexed.

I agree! Resume seems a little thin. In 1999, he was named one of the top-10 recruiters in the nation by ESPN.com and one of the top six recruiters nationally by Sporting News.
I would think being a top 10 recruiter at Notre Dame would be a given. Not sure I get this hire if it is true....

Having good recruiting classes at ND is a given. The players are rated high because they are going to ND. If the same players went to Akron they would all be two-star recruits and we would have a bottom-20 recruiting class according to Scout and Rivals.
Especially with Lemming doing the ratings....JD was a WR coach at Pitt and developed some great WR too.This sounds like Dejavu.

Having good recruiting classes at ND is a given. The players are rated high because they are going to ND. If the same players went to Akron they would all be two-star recruits and we would have a bottom-20 recruiting class according to Scout and Rivals.
Especially with Lemming doing the ratings....JD was a WR coach at Pitt and developed some great WR too.This sounds like Dejavu.
Boy, this has come out of the blue. I'm in the minority thus far, but if it is Ianello, I will be estatic. Not only is this guy a great recruiter, he's been a great position coach who really developed Golden Tate and others. I understand the concerns about no coordinator history, but I think his upside is great. He is one of the 'hot assistants' out there right now, and if Akron can get him, it's a real coup.

Well, the results will speak for themself after two years. I am not going to place much on his past history of recruiting or lack of head coaching experience. He is getting a great opportunity. He is here now, give him a chance and lets see how this pans out.I read futher down on the scoop list of hirings going on. Mike Waddell is a finalist for the Can't AD job.