The University Team Shop

I wanted to buy a Zips basketball jersey for my son for Christmas. I pulled out my wallet that the former "Porkey's Place," and was told - "Sorry, we don't sell basketball jersey's any longer."Way to capitalize on our NCAA appearance UA. Who wants little kids wearing "Akron" jerseys to school, and around town? I did see a sweet Zips/Golden F.l.a.s.h.e.s "Wagon Wheel Game" t-shirt up on the wall - $19.99. Bet that relic is a hot seller at December basketball games...especially as such a bargain price.

I wanted to buy a Zips basketball jersey for my son for Christmas. I pulled out my wallet that the former "Porkey's Place," and was told - "Sorry, we don't sell basketball jersey's any longer."Way to capitalize on our NCAA appearance UA. Who wants little kids wearing "Akron" jerseys to school, and around town? I did see a sweet Zips/Golden F.l.a.s.h.e.s "Wagon Wheel Game" t-shirt up on the wall - $19.99. Bet that relic is a hot seller at December basketball games...especially as such a bargain price.
Ask the AD! It seems like most aspects of the athletic department operations are trucking along without a driver. There is very little thought put towards merchandising. How often were we told that the team shops were going to expand and improve. It never happens. They are just throwing money and exposure out the window. It wouldn’t be so bad if they were not paying people good money to take advantage of opportunities and generate revenue. The amount of salary $ spent to manage aspects of the program might be better spent on action-oriented people. Have you ever noticed the amount of guys walking around the b-ball games in suits talking to each other. Each one of them is paid good money to do something. Yet the same problems exist year after year. Example: it takes 20 min per transaction to buy a ticket at the JAR. You miss half the game while waiting in only a 3 person line. They have jobs posted for a Director and Assistant Director of Ticket Sales. Should we expect marked improvement in that area if the U pays 100,000+ combined for those posts? That was a bit of a tangent I know but is indicative of their professional management of amateur athletics. I hope TW is able to close the loop on some dollars that are there for the taking.

Ask the AD
He reads this site as much as than anyone. Why duplicate the effort?

Ask the AD
He reads this site as much as than anyone. Why duplicate the effort?
You're probably right. I just like getting a response.

MAX: Re your post above-- 2nd sentence you could have stopped @ '''little thought... :wave: Does not that there instiution have a Business College, which teaches marketing?????????????????????????????UNBELIEVABLE!
You would think that a university such as Akron would be able to leverage the perfessional expertise of faculty and provide hands-oh learning experiences for students.

We complain about the MAC not being able to take advantage of the golden opportunity that is college football. How about the Athletic Department's inability to make positive gains anywhere but building the stadium? Truthfully, the stadium project was finally built as a student recruitment and campus improvement project more than for actual gains in the football program. I know that I will get flamed for that one but it is true. Has the Athletic Department staff made gains in any other areas? I am excited to see what TW can get going here before he moves on. Hell, we don't want him if he is not good enough to move on in a few years. I have been saying all along that the entire organization needs an attitude adjustment from the ushers through department heads. Everybody needs to be evaluated for the purpose of steering the organizational culture in a positive direction. Out with the old ideas and in with the new. I have seen nothing yet. We are a MAC organization. Until that changes we will cycle through MAC level successes and failures. I would rather be in the C-USA failure/success cycle. It is about expanding horizons and demanding better from the staff. No more masquerading as a college football team. Get it done TW.

All I've wanted since coming to school at Akron is a pair of replica b-ball shorts. Not the shitty mesh ones, but the uniform dazzle shorts just like what the guys wear on the floor.
In a related topic. Did anyone else besides me expect a flushier uniform once Nike and LB23 took over?? I mean watching a fair amouint of Bball on tv Im hard pressed to find a more boring/plain uniform than we wear for home games. I realize it means squat for the team or us die hard fans but a flushy colorful uniform would catch the interest of some 10yr old novice fans. I always remember the StV/M jerseys from 10 yrs ago now were graphically light years ahead of ours now. Remember our gold jerseys from just 4 or 5 yrs ago??

Should the merchandise selcetions continue to be centered on "FEAR THE ROO" or is it time to move on?
Moving on is part of the problem. We never stuck with a brand image long enough for it to settle in. Before Fear the Roo was able to reach its potential, we moved on to Roo Town and all the FTR stuff virtually disappeared. Now there's all sorts of "Roo" things but it's not very focused.Why can't we pick something solid and stick with it for more than two years?

Should the merchandise selcetions continue to be centered on "FEAR THE ROO" or is it time to move on?
I would hope we wouldn't ever completely "move on" from Fear the Roo. It's a very well-liked slogan. We don't have to necessarily be "centered" around Fear the Roo, but I think we should always have some FTR gear available. We're kinda know for FTR now.

Are the team shops in the Info/Jar operated by the Athletic Department and the merchandising in the student union by the bookstore company? The Bookstore actually has some good stuff. The Athletic Department should be ashamed of BOTH their online store and the sorry excuse for team shops on campus. They could generate six figures annually with a little effort.

All I've wanted since coming to school at Akron is a pair of replica b-ball shorts. Not the shitty mesh ones, but the uniform dazzle shorts just like what the guys wear on the floor.
All I've wanted for years is an Akron soccer jersey... still out of luck. :(

I would be shocked if the jersey/apparel vendors have not approached administratos in the past about making replicas more availible. They are probably either turning them down or not taking action. Either way I hope TW can make gains in this area.

There was more Akron stuff in the Team shop a coule years ago then there is now. What we have now is absolutey pathetic. DW and I bought hoodies fro footloacker at Summit mall for $25. The selection is practically nil and the prices are not competitive.
Walmart in Stow has a bunch of stuff.

YES!!! I Just want an Akron Soccer jersey.