J.D.

a-zip

Things are good, hate to bring in anything bad but...................

We have a hot young coach who has shown a great talent for recruiting, motivating and strategy. What are the chances we are able to keep him long term and what would it take? OR will he be another contribution from the "Cradle of Coaches, MAC".

I am not sure what his contract looks like but with all the momentum we have going in ALL sports it would be a major setback to lose him. Sure would be nice to have stability with JD and Dambrot, we could really have something!

Oh yea, Mike Thomas has got to be a hot candidate too.

JD is a very young man for his position. He has a wife and three young children. If he takes a job for $1 million instead of the $150,000, or whatever Akron is paying, he has a moral obligation to take the $1 million. He would set his family up for life.

I say after JD wins the MAC in the next two years, he will be gone to another school.

When Akron builds another football stadium, something in that stadium needs to be named after Mike Thomas. He has created a real first class culture in the Athletic Department.

As bad as Pitt has been doing, you got to wonder if that could affect us. If Wanstedt is canned, wouldn't JD be a pretty strong candidate?

We really need this new stadium to get rolling. If in fact we lose JD, we need to have something to sell an attractive candidate besides nice practice facilities. You can look at OU landing someone like Frank Solich.

He's coached a full 1.2 seasons of college football.

The Zips haven't won a damn thing. They haven't won a championship. They haven't beat a real BCS team (beating teams like Rutgers, Army or Temple don't count as marquee BCS wins). JD isn't going anywhere soon.

Look at Toledo. Miami. BG. Those teams stay atop the MAC despite losing coaches. The day JD ultimately leaves, we'll be fine so long as we have the commitment from the top.

I remember everyone freaking out about the QB position this year..."How will we ever replace Frye?" Worrying about that was a waste of time, just like worrying about JD leaving.

We are thinking the same things..............

1- A new stadium, along with the facilities already built, would influence JDs decision to essentially BUILD and sustain a winning program from scratch. (I always look at Boise St. and wonder how they keep their coach). It can be done.

2- The hiring of Solich INTO the MAC lends credibility and hopefully another team committed to excellence. The fact is, all the schools in the MAC need eachother to do well if we are going to start getting bids in BBall and FBall.

3- If Dambrot continues his success and stays, it will add to the overall awareness of the school........SOCCER TOO! It is nice to continuously see your school in the media and playing for championships. The whole thing could snowball into something great.

IF JD, and KD ultimately turn things around, and get us into the upper echelon, then we may need to start worrying a little.

Hopefully we get the new stadium, and we become a winner. Then, even if JD does go, we will look good to another hot candidate.

Unfortunately, UA will always be a stepping stone. That's ok, if you can keep replacing the stones.

HEY, THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING, WE WILL BE WHERE WE WERE IN 1986, AND THEN WE

HAD AN A.D. THAT TRADED JIM DENNISON AND BOB HUGGINS FOR JERRY FAUST, THE THEN PRES. MUSE ALLOWED IF NOT INSTIGATED THE WHOLE AFFAIR, SO THE SECRET IS A GREAT UNIV. PRESIDENT AND A.D., BOTH OF WHICH WE HAVE.

PERSONALLY, I HOPE J.D. RETIRES HERE DITTO K.D., BUT IF EITHER LEAVES THEY CAN BE REPLACED IF, AND ONLY IF, THE PRESIDENT AND A.D REMAIN, WE BETTER HOPE THEY BOTH DO. :D

WITH BALL AMMUNITION LOCK AND LOAD.

Here at Akron, you would probably have to win at least two or maybe even three MAC championships before anyone really takes notice. I would have to think he stays here at least 4 to 5 more years. With all of the success that Boise State has had, I thinik they still have the coach that got it going for them. On the flip side, BG, Miami, and Toledo have had a lot of turnover at the coaching position. Hasn't really hurt them though. I'm just happy that we have to have these sorts of discussions. We've never won poo in the MAC. Our time is way over due! Go Zips!

HAD AN A.D. THAT TRADED JIM DENNISON AND BOB HUGGINS FOR JERRY FAUST, THE THEN PRES. MUSE ALLOWED IF NOT INSTIGATED THE WHOLE AFFAIR, SO THE SECRET IS A GREAT UNIV. PRESIDENT AND A.D., BOTH OF WHICH WE HAVE.

PERSONALLY, I HOPE J.D. RETIRES HERE DITTO K.D., BUT IF EITHER LEAVES THEY CAN BE REPLACED IF, AND ONLY IF, THE PRESIDENT AND A.D REMAIN, WE BETTER HOPE THEY BOTH DO. :D

I reserve the right to comment on this post at a later date. There are a lot of misperceptions about Dennison and Huggins I would like to add. Keeping them was not as easy as you might think.

I reserve the right to comment on this post at a later date. There are a lot of misperceptions about Dennison and Huggins I would like to add. Keeping them was not as easy as you might think.

I cant wait to hear about this.......

If you're really interested in what has made this program stronger, it's a 25 hour per day AD and his dedicated staff including UAM at the point.

I hope JD pulls a MAC/C this year and if he goes, God Bless...........as long as we have The Boss around great things will continue IMHO.

If you're really interested in what has made this program stronger, it's a 25 hour per day AD and his dedicated staff including UAM at the point.

I hope JD pulls a MAC/C this year and if he goes, God Bless...........as long as we have The Boss around great things will continue IMHO.

Hey Z-P: An old timer like you has to remember the similar talk of "How are we going to keep Lee Owens" about 2 years into Owens' tenure? :rofl:

I just cant participate in this debate 1.2 years into the guy's D-1A head coaching career. If CMU comes in and knocks us off...like they did Miami...everyone will be calling for the guy's head. Sports Talk in the 2000's is a funny thing.

This is not luck. Sorry, but LO never had a top recruiting class in the MAC. Talk to a few of the players who are still playing (and only had LO two or three years). Heck, ask Charlie Frye. They'll all say the liked LO (well, actually, not all of them at all), but in the next breath they'll tell you how much they learn from JD, how much they respect him, how much the love playing for him, etc. He and this staff are just much more knowledgeable about the game, they can recruit the pants off LO's staff, and they command respect. The guy's just got it. You all can wait it out, that's usually me, but this time I just know.

My prediction for this year was I'd be happy with four wins. This was supposed to be big rebuilding year, remember? If JD and Co. has 7 wins this year, they're all geniuses, in my book.

All I am trying to bring to light is that for Akron and the MAC as a whole to be competitive........we need stability. If you have good people, make them happy and keep them.

In the business world it cost 3 times as much to hire replacements, train them and ramp them up vs. replacing a successful tenured person.

I agree that this conversation MAY be premature but JD aint Lee Owens or Faust, Dambrot aint Hipsher or Crawford and the Mike Thomas aint (whatever his name was). How long has it taken FB and BBall to be competitive since we lost Coach Dennison and Huggins and that AD?

Regardless of the win/loss records at the end of the year, they have both shown an amazing ability to recruit. That is HALF the battle.

This is not luck.  Sorry, but LO never had a top recruiting class in the MAC.

Yes he did. Scroll down:

Football Inks 22 Recruits on National Letter Day

2001 University of Akron Football Recruiting Class

Brendon BANKS 6-0, 190, SS, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Woodland Hills)

James BATTLE 6-0, 225, LB, Cincinnati (Colerain)

Dorian BEARD 6-1, 250, DL, Verona, Pa. (Penn Hills)

Geoffrey BEAUCHESNE 6-5, 230, TE, Montreal, Quebec (Du Vieux)

Chase BLACKBURN 6-4, 215, DL, Marysville

Mark CONLEY 6-2, 285, DL, Lakewood

Diontre EARL 5-11, 230, LB, Toledo (Rogers)

Dion ELIE 6-2, 185, WR, Atlanta, Ga. Lithonia/Euclid, Ohio

Jamie GOODWIN 5-11, 160, WR, McKeesport, Pa.

Justin HEIN 6-7, 335, OL, Lakewood

Jeremy JACOBS 6-4, 245, OL, Uniontown (Green)

Charlton LEWIS 6-4, 250, DL, N. Braddock,Pa.(Woodland Hills)

Jason MONTGOMERY 6-1, 180, WR, Southfield, Mich. (Lathrup)

Montae MURPHY 5-10 173, DB, Rankin, Pa. (Woodland Hills)

Thomas PLUMMER 6-1, 215, RB, Etobicoke, Ontario (Henry Carr)

Jerell RINGER 5-11, 195, RB, Dayton (Meadowdale)

Brad SHELDON 6-2, 200, LB, Rochester, Mich. (U. of Detroit Jesuit)

Richard SPAULDING 6-3 210, SS, New Albany

Marcus SUBER 6-1, 185, SS, Sacramento City College

Vince VAUGHNS 6-2, 185, RB/FS, Oklahoma City, Okla. (Santa Fe)

Greg WILLIAMS 5-10, 185, SS, Canton (GlenOak)

Chris WOOTEN 6-0, 240, LB, Bedford

AKRON - A share of the 2000 Mid-American Conference East Division title and back-to-back winning seasons certainly made a positive impact on "National Letter Day" for the Akron Zip football program. UA coach Lee Owens today unveiled his seventh recruiting class and announced the signing of 22 student-athletes for the 2001 season.

Based on early commitments, the class ranked first in the Mid-American Conference, according to RIVALS.com.