men against boys...

Zipgrad01

if vcu is so much better than the zips how did they lose to western michigan.if they were that good they would have won that game.if conyers would be sub they should have beat wmu by 30,but they lost.the same wmu team we beat at k-zoo.i think people are talking crazy things after this loss.bring vcu to the jar, and then see what happens.we have had to play them two years in a row at thier place.vcu is a decent team,but to say conyers would be a role player is insane.
Food for thought. Zips fans said the same thing 3 seasons ago when we were coming to the JAR. Based on what I saw, the team we beat then with Jeremiah Wood, Nick Dials, and Cedrick Middleton was significantly better than the team I saw out there tonight. I remember a freshman Larry Sanders coming into the JAR and setting an all-time record in your building with 9 blocks in that game. Of course we are a different team from back then too, but with new weapons. At the same time, VCU has now beaten Akron 3 straight seasons and is 5-0 all-time in the series. At some point there should be a level of respect given to VCU. If Larry Sanders doesn't leave for the NBA this year, I think we have a very good shot at winning at the JAR next year. I wasn't particularly impressed with the talent on the Zips squad, but you have a team that works hard and maximizes what they get out of what they have. They really scrap it out and work hard. That kind of work ethic is something you can build on. Shaka recruited the McKnight brothers, Darryl Roberts and Mike Bardo for the Zips before he left Akron. In contrast we had a recruit from California at the the game to watch our two teams face off who is 6'11, 225 pounds and has a number of BCS offers. It's just easier to recruit when you have basketball tradition (9 NCAA appearances, 5 wins) and recent success (beating Duke in the 2007 NCAA's, losing by 1 with a shot to win against UCLA in last year's NCAA, Eric Maynor being a first round NBA draft pick, Larry Sanders being slated as a lottery pick etc). I could easily say that how is Akron so good if they lost to Eastern Michigan? Every team has bad games. You could say that Akron had a bad game, but it becomes more than coincidence when you lose repeatedly to the same team year after year. At some point you just have to give props to the better team. I like the Zips program a lot and Dambrot is a solid coach who cares about his players, but Akron is still not at the level of VCU as a program. I think they will get there, but it's not the case right now.
I dont see VCU being that impressive from any of the 3 times i've seen them now. ALL three times it was a case of being outcoached and outhustled, sure i'll respect that but i wont say that VCU was a better team a few years ago. Maybe this year and last year but not by much, Akron should have played them better if not beat them yesterday and i expected both.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if vcu is so much better than the zips how did they lose to western michigan.if they were that good they would have won that game.if conyers would be sub they should have beat wmu by 30,but they lost.the same wmu team we beat at k-zoo.i think people are talking crazy things after this loss.bring vcu to the jar, and then see what happens.we have had to play them two years in a row at thier place.vcu is a decent team,but to say conyers would be a role player is insane.
Food for thought. Zips fans said the same thing 3 seasons ago when we were coming to the JAR. Based on what I saw, the team we beat then with Jeremiah Wood, Nick Dials, and Cedrick Middleton was significantly better than the team I saw out there tonight. I remember a freshman Larry Sanders coming into the JAR and setting an all-time record in your building with 9 blocks in that game. Of course we are a different team from back then too, but with new weapons. At the same time, VCU has now beaten Akron 3 straight seasons and is 5-0 all-time in the series. At some point there should be a level of respect given to VCU. If Larry Sanders doesn't leave for the NBA this year, I think we have a very good shot at winning at the JAR next year. I wasn't particularly impressed with the talent on the Zips squad, but you have a team that works hard and maximizes what they get out of what they have. They really scrap it out and work hard. That kind of work ethic is something you can build on. Shaka recruited the McKnight brothers, Darryl Roberts and Mike Bardo for the Zips before he left Akron. In contrast we had a recruit from California at the the game to watch our two teams face off who is 6'11, 225 pounds and has a number of BCS offers. It's just easier to recruit when you have basketball tradition (9 NCAA appearances, 5 wins) and recent success (beating Duke in the 2007 NCAA's, losing by 1 with a shot to win against UCLA in last year's NCAA, Eric Maynor being a first round NBA draft pick, Larry Sanders being slated as a lottery pick etc). I could easily say that how is Akron so good if they lost to Eastern Michigan? Every team has bad games. You could say that Akron had a bad game, but it becomes more than coincidence when you lose repeatedly to the same team year after year. At some point you just have to give props to the better team. I like the Zips program a lot and Dambrot is a solid coach who cares about his players, but Akron is still not at the level of VCU as a program. I think they will get there, but it's not the case right now.
I dont see VCU being that impressive from any of the 3 times i've seen them now. ALL three times it was a case of being outcoached and outhustled, sure i'll respect that but i wont say that VCU was a better team a few years ago. Maybe this year and last year but not by much, Akron should have played them better if not beat them yesterday and i expected both.
I think that's a fair statement. VCU probably wasn't all that impressive. Only thing is, they were more impressive than Akron and that's all that counts. 3 games, 3 wins, the last one in a blowout. VCU returns everybody of consequence next year. I know Dambrot is desperately trying to get the return game postponed to 2011-2012 when our whole starting line basically graduates. :lol: In the event that this happens, you should have a good shot knocking off a young, rebuilding team at home. We'll see. You guys are 0-3 now and have said the same thing before and after every game.

I think that's a fair statement. VCU probably wasn't all that impressive. Only thing is, they were more impressive than Akron and that's all that counts. 3 games, 3 wins, the last one in a blowout. VCU returns everybody of consequence next year. I know Dambrot is desperately trying to get the return game postponed to 2011-2012 when our whole starting line basically graduates. :lol: In the event that this happens, you should have a good shot knocking off a young, rebuilding team at home. We'll see. You guys are 0-3 now and have said the same thing before and after every game.
...Ya you never trash talk. How do you know Dambrot is trying to postpone the game? Do you know him personally...if so thats great. Maybe you have some more inside information about Akron you can fill us in on. You obviously know more than us.

if vcu is so much better than the zips how did they lose to western michigan.if they were that good they would have won that game.if conyers would be sub they should have beat wmu by 30,but they lost.the same wmu team we beat at k-zoo.
Thank you for coming into the forum Coach Faust. Please try to remember your days of teaching typing at Moeller and utilized the shift and space buttons.

...Ya you never trash talk. How do you know Dambrot is trying to postpone the game? Do you know him personally...if so thats great. Maybe you have some more inside information about Akron you can fill us in on. You obviously know more than us.
Only to indulge those who start it. If you show my team respect, I will similarly show respect to yours. If not, then don't expect me to just sit there and listen, especially when I've heard the same thing 3 years running with the same result. As for Dambrot he said in the post-game presser that he wants to play in 2 years. I wouldn't blame him either. I wouldn't wanna play Larry Sanders again either.

The VCU game was yet another wake up call to a lot of fans who've been very patiently waiting for our program to elevate. I'm tired of hitting the snooze bar.
Don't feel too bad about the wake up call. I had mine about three years ago when I moved away and started to go to ACC football games and realized how much better an even average football conference like the ACC was than the MAC. I really started to question my beliefs about the MAC and what I was actually watching. Many of my beliefs were just plain wrong. What you are experiencing is actually healthy and once you see it for what it is you can better conceptualized the direction the program should move.In many ways, I like the MAC even more since I've admitted to myself my wife was right and it is Dollar General. I don't go into a game with an illusion about what I am watching and I can just enjoy a sporting event. Try that and you will enjoy the games more. Honest to God, just try it and you will like it...sort of like smoking pot for the first time.

Did anyone else hear this???????????????????????In listening to game yesterday Steve french said the rematch will NOT be next year but in nov or december of 2011. Apparently their schedule is filled. By bracketbuster rules they have 1 1/2 years to ply the return game.
That means you guys probably have a good shot at taking the game that season. VCU will graduate Larry Sanders, Jamie Skeen, Joey Rodriguez, Ed Nixon, and Brandon Rozell. 4 of those guys started against the Zips last night and Brandon who came off the bench scored double-digit points...but you can bet I'll be back then talking the game up just the same as before. As things look right now, I would expect Akron to win that game fairly easily with a young and inexperienced VCU team coming in 2011-2012. Rob Brandenberg, our 2010 recruit out of Columbus Ohio at Gahanna Lincoln will have a bit of a homecoming as far being close enough for his folks to come out, so that will be nice for him as a sophomore. We'll be young, but still pretty talented and should give you a good game up there. I wouldn't guarantee a win like I have in the past though until I see how our current underclassmen progress next season. A lot can change in that time.

Did anyone else hear this???????????????????????In listening to game yesterday Steve french said the rematch will NOT be next year but in nov or december of 2011. Apparently their schedule is filled. By bracketbuster rules they have 1 1/2 years to ply the return game.
the baller knows Dambrot and said that he was scared to play Larry Saunders again. French is wrong I guess?

the baller knows Dambrot and said that he was scared to play Larry Saunders again. French is wrong I guess?
Am I in your head? It certainly sounds like it. I said no such thing. I said that he said in the post-game presser that he wants to play us in 2 years. He did. I also said I wouldn't want to play Larry Sanders again either, not that Dambrot said it. :lol:

Am I in your head? It certainly sounds like it. I said no such thing. I said that he said in the post-game presser that he wants to play us in 2 years. He did. I also said I wouldn't want to play Larry Sanders again either, not that Dambrot said it. :lol:
"I know Dambrot is desperately trying to get the return game postponed to 2011-2012 when our whole starting line basically graduates."You said it and if I remember correctly you followed that statement with a :lol: ..I actually talked to Chaka Khan coach of VCU last night and he said that he filled up his schedule next year because he was afraid of playing the Zips again.

"I know Dambrot is desperately trying to get the return game postponed to 2011-2012 when our whole starting line basically graduates."You said it and if I remember correctly you followed that statement with a :lol: ..I actually talked to Chaka Khan coach of VCU last night and he said that he filled up his schedule next year because he was afraid of playing the Zips again.
Ahh I forgot that. I stand corrected. It was a playful jab considering his post-game comments. I doubt that statement about our schedule is accurate if its ours because we are still looking for OOC games as far as I know for next season (we only have 3 scheduled so far). I doubt anyone from VCU is scared of playing Akron next year. We will be pretty strong. The next year, I think you will take that game. That said, we are reloading with some fairly highly-touted recruits so we should be strong, but inexperienced. On the road that usually means losses. Akron will be a solid team in 2 seasons and I would expect a loss at your place.Oh, and yes, I'm in your head. Most definitely. Funny thing is I didn't even intend for that.

Hilaroius rationalizations going on within this thread. God bless those of you that take pride in a lacklustre 17-point ass-kicking on national television.Looking at our starting 5 vs. VCU's starting 5....I would feel very comfortable in saying VCU had the better player at every position. None of our starting 5 would sniff the court if placed on VCU's roster.And we are talking about VCU, not Gonzaga. The 4th place team in the CAA is miles ahead of the Zips program.It was to be expected. We get smoked in OOC games like this all the time. But you never get numb to it.We are slow...we can't finish around the rim...we can't shoot...can't hit a free throw...and people wonder why there's 2000 empty seats at the JAR every home game.If VCU's players magically appeared on Akron's roster. And we saw their athleticism, tenacity, skill, giant-killing ability, NCAA tourney-worthiness, etc. on display on a weekly basis, we'd all be fighting for seats on game day, paying PSL's along with our season tix, and legitimately expecting to make some noise in the post season. Could you imagine watching a great team like that, with great opponents, on a weekly basis? It would be awesome.The VCU game was yet another wake up call to a lot of fans who've been very patiently waiting for our program to elevate. I'm tired of hitting the snooze bar. Other than Mississippi State, we've lost every one of these regular season OOC games for the past 6 seasons. When does it stop? I'm not asking for the moon here...I just want to be competitive with a middle of the pack CAA program. Is that asking too much?The upcoming Buffalo game will be very fun. The K.e.n.t. game will be a blast. The MAC Tourney is always a great time. No I'm not chugging Drano after a loss to VCU. But I am dispondent over the reality of the state of the Zips program with respect to the remainder of mid-major college basketball. UA should write a letter of apology to ESPN who's given us GREAT opponents, and by doing so also give us a guaranteed GREAT return game (thank God, becuse otherwise we'd see more NC A&T's)...and we never hold up our end of the deal. I look forward to a game against Detroit or Robert Morris next year.And by the way - Congratulations to K.e.n.t. Very exciting win last night. Looked great on TV. Unfortuanately, it was a hollow victory. They had fewer rebounds and steals than Western Carolina.
Can't (55 RPI) was playing at home against a team with a 125 RP!, a bigger rating gap than between VCU (61 RPI) and UA (101 RPI). Yet Can't won by only 2 points when they should have blown out Western Carolina worse than VCU did to UA.I haven't seen a single Zips fan on this forum express pride about a Zips loss. I do note that some fans try to give some credit to the effort by the Zips coaches and players, win or lose, while others elect to focus exclusively on the negatives.It's a given that winning is better than losing. No one disagrees with that, so it's not an appropriate debating point. The debatable point is how good fans should react to a loss -- crap all over the coaches and players as if they were the most worthless scum on the planet, or acknowledge that the overall team performance was disappointing but try to give them a little credit for a few small things they did right in an otherwise bad loss.

Can't (55 RPI) was playing at home against a team with a 125 RP!, a bigger rating gap than between VCU (61 RPI) and UA (101 RPI). Yet Can't won by only 2 points when they should have blown out Western Carolina worse than VCU did to UA.
Why do you care so much about those stupid computer rankings? The only thing that matters is points scored in comparison to the other team.It's one thing to use statistics to compare various aspects of a game...it is another to use them to make it seem as if a 17 point loss was not that bad. UofA was horrible yesterday any way someone wants to slice it. The Zips were so bad, Zip Watcher hasn't even come in the board to tell us this is part of the "building process" KD sees for the team. It's either that or he is following the old rule that if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Can't (55 RPI) was playing at home against a team with a 125 RP!, a bigger rating gap than between VCU (61 RPI) and UA (101 RPI). Yet Can't won by only 2 points when they should have blown out Western Carolina worse than VCU did to UA.
Why do you care so much about those stupid computer rankings? The only thing that matters is points scored in comparison to the other team.It's one thing to use statistics to compare various aspects of a game...it is another to use them to make it seem as if a 17 point loss was not that bad. UofA was horrible yesterday any way someone wants to slice it. The Zips were so bad, Zip Watcher hasn't even come in the board to tell us this is part of the "building process" KD sees for the team. It's either that or he is following the old rule that if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
That's your interpretation, which was not my intent. Please try to read my words and not my mind.

I think the Zips frontcourt actaully did a decent job on Sanders which surprised me. The key was both McKnights and Marshall getting in foul trouble. Of course Sanders did too. Still three guys in foul trouble is much worse than one. The frustrating part about it for me was the "bigs" were getting called for petty little hand-checking fouls for the most part.The difference in this game was Akron not being able to use their usual depth, the foul shooting, and the field goal shooting. To be fair though a lot of those Akron shots really looked good and somehow spun out.As far as athleticism, VCU has more than Akron but not by as much as many say. Conyers, Hitchens, Steward, and Roberts are all very athletic guys. I actually cannot figure out why Roberts isn't leading this team in minutes played most games (although right now he may have a bit of a bum ankle). He's able to drive and dish and probably has the sweetest shooting stroke on the team.Just my take. Kudos to VCU on playing well.

Disappointing loss to say the least and it shows how different a top 100 team and a top 50-60 team is. Tall, athletic teams give us trouble. If Akron had played William and Mary who I watched Friday night and is 3rd in the Colonial, we match up much better.I go back to something that GP1 often says, "Let's be happy with us and be Akron." Wel what are we? We are in a conference ranked 15th in the country out of 31 conferences, a very mediocre league. And over the past 5 years, Akron has won about 65% of their conference games and made the title game the last 3 years and if I remember right have been in the top 100 (top 30%) in final RPI rankings the last 5 years. This year may be a stretch. So we are a good team in an average conference that draws about 3,000 per game and can beat about 2/3 of the country and there is a wide gap between us and a top 50 team. And if we continue to spend 1.4M per year, that may be as far as KD or anyone else can take the Zips on a consistent basis without cheating. While I want Akron to go to the next level, when we play a tough division MAC school or get the rare times we get a quality OOC opponent at the JAR, I am always entertained and see good basketball. Another quote from GP1 that has stuck with me is the Dollar General analogy with MAC football which is a good anaology. I can't even watch MAC football on TV most of the time. When we get a good opponent at home for basketball, I don't feel that way, it is good, exciting basketball.Maybe the program is at a crossroads. KD has continued to build momentum each year and this is the 1st year where it feels stagnant. The thought of Gonzaga of the East is fools good without more monetary support. Maybe Zeke and Humpty develop the consistency we need and become breakout stars which is out best chance to go from top 100 to top 50/60 and become a VCU. But if you told me we would go to the NCAAs a couple more times over the next 5 years, win 65% of our MAC games, be a top 100 team and graduate everyone, I would take that in a heart beat.

Next year? Psh...like i said, i'm not all that impressed. Hopefully Dambrot figures it out and then next year will be a non issue. Actually i expect him to, and i'll be very surprised if we dont win at home. Some mediocre mid major is not going to beat us another time at home.

I haven't seen a single Zips fan on this forum express pride about a Zips loss.
17-point ass-kickings at the hands of 4th place CAA teams will do that.If you can puff your chest out after that loss, good for you. You coping mechanisms are far superior to anyone else's on this board. And as a Zips fan, you don't know how valuable a gift from God that is. Cherish it.