New CMU Thread

My take on the game was as follows...random notes as usual:

I saw many were surprised at the 10k crowd. Apparently you didn't attend many "home game #2's" in the past. 10k was a decent crowd for not giving away freebies. I didn't expect any more. The Army game is being heavily promoted. Expect 20k.

Getsy was awful. I never saw so many overthrown balls. After the game his hand was packed in ice. Did an injury cause his errant tosses? If it did...where was Ferguson? Into the third quarter it was pretty apparent Getsey's passes weren't going to get any better. I'd like to have seen what Ferguson could do for a series or two. Also...Getsy needs to stop tossing the ball up for grabs when he's pressured. He threw some of the most ill-advised passes I've seen in some time while running for his life. He did this at MTSU and got away with it. He wasn't so lucky this past Saturday.

Our WR's did a really bad job of blocking, in MO. There were a couple screens that were set up pretty well and our WR's missed blocks that would have sprung the RB for a decent gain. In general, with CMU's DL's breathing down Getsy's neck from the second quarter on, you'd think the screen would have been pretty effective.

Our run blocking is bad. It has been bad all season. I hope the OL begins to improve in that regard or Getsy will continue to get pounded. Has Biggs had a decent hole all season? "Decent hole" being like the one's CMU's OL's opened up for Sneed. Sneed is a fast kid, BTW.

CMU's QB was unimpressive, but managed the game well. He didn't really make mistakes. And, when they spread their offense, it was easy pickin's for him to scramble for first downs.

We never sub LB's. Grant, Rohr and Stokes need a breather every so often. And as inept as our offense has been in the 4th quarter of every game this year, those guys need to be fresh. We can't rely on them to save our a$$ every week when they're gassed.

Can we sustain any sort of a drive in the 4th quarter of a game?

Our FB is not punishing anyone. If Tuzze is any good, I would love to see him in the backfield. Biggs needs some blocking help. Does Rache Culler have any eligibility left?

Did Hixson play in the 2nd half? I hardly remember seeing him? He is our X-factor. He has to get 15+ touches a game. Run reverses...try that Biggs half back pass...whatever it takes.

Thusfar this season we've won two games we were predicted to lose, and lost one we were predicted to win. For such a young group, with such an inexperienced OL and QB, that ain't so bad. I hope the staff and players watch some serious tape, practice hard this week and pound Buffalo like they should. This is a game where our young OL game really get some confidence and give our backfield a 300 yard rushing day.

CMU game sucked. An opportunity lost. But, there's 7 games remaining. Let's see what we're made of.

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Some of you talk about the Zips making you sick, well let me be honest, most of you make me sick. Last week you're asking how we can keep the next Urban Meyer, JD Brookhart in town, and this week you're talking about what a douche bag he is. Last week, you're saying Luke Getsy is the second coming of Joe Namath, and now he sucks.

Folks, in real life, sometimes things don't go as planned. These things happen in college football. It was ONE game. ONE. This is still the same team that played with Purdue, same team that dominated MTSU (who beat Vandy Saturday) and the same team that beat NIU. College kids are moody, they aren't professionals, and inevitably some weeks they are going to show up with the wrong attitude. This is in no way an indictment of the coach unless it happens on a consistent basis, which it certainly has not. And let me tell you guys something about Luke Getsy Saturday night. From the 2nd quarter on he was playing with a severely sprained thumb on his throwing hand. Now if I were the coach in that situation, I would go to our capable backup John Ferguson, but I respect the decision that was made to leave Getsy in. Just thought some of you that are gutting Getsy on here should know that. How after three straight games of +300 yards some of you could say the things you have about him is beyond me. Honestly, I believe the Zips would rather play in empty stadiums than for 10K fairweather fans and students that leave a close game at the end of the third quarter because the social event is pretty much over and it's time to party. THAT's what made me sick, not the play of the Zips.

One additional note:

For those of you who thought the PD might be hopping on the Zips bandwagon after the big NIU win...the PD didn't bother to show up at this week's Zips/Chipps matchup. Elton Alexander did mention in a small column today that he caught some of the game on the radio. BTW: Elton had a "David Lee Morgan Moment" last week, crediting the Zips OT interception to Time-Warner TV broadcaster Diontre Earl. Nice job, Elton.

Hey ITZ..............

Easy there buddy. Not so personal. Besides, only a few of the "hackers" were raggin. Better go back and take a count on how few the guys are in number who lit you up, and review.

Seriously................relax. Only a few guys flamed out. The rest of us are in with "content" and opinion.............don't let a guy or two get you bent.

Many of us have been in here 4-5 years or more. This was nuthin! ZFF used to have a little "Blue" board that really got wild...........ask him about it. If you think this action is "hot" you should have seen it at the end of the season 3 or 4 years ago!

I like your posts (well, this one not so much :D ) so don't get mad...........

BTW, Cap'n's right.................10K solid with no free seats may not be that bad for a game # two historically.................but it still makes me sick.

Back to the news for a minute..............I wondered about BB. Unfortunately, I have some experience around guys with concussions, and when I noticed him getting up with the help of 2 guys (instead of one) and saw him wobble, I predicted it to the guy I was with who is another "experienced" concussion cat. Now that the "cat's out of the bag" so to speak, about a concussion, you'll get a look at how the staff "works" the deal. NCAA "guidelines" say 7 full days no contact with the 1st, and that will take him past Buffalo................so we'll see. If he gets a 2nd, it's 14 days, and a 3rd he's done for the season. Hell of a little baller..............man I hate to see him go down.

Getsy is tough. I really like him...............a lot. He needs help, just like Charley did. I've read where CMU wanted to work him to the edges, and thought he was weak throwing on the run..............well.............he can work on that.............and unfortunetly he's going to have to with the young line in front of him.

Know what I noticed for the first time Saturday night? BB is turning out to be a great little blocker. He was cutting those guys left and right, and successfully. I didn't see him doing that very often last season. He must have worked on it.

Back to the scrambling.............Charlie wasn't always as skillful on the run as he turned out to be either..........he had to learn the skill, and he did a great job of it. Getsy can also.

I'm in the camp with the guys who would have liked to see Ferggie in there also, just to spell Getsy and help out if his hand was all that bad.

One more thing before I forget:

ITZ said:  Honestly, I believe the Zips would rather play in empty stadiums than for 10K fairweather fans and students that leave a close game at the end of the third quarter because the social event is pretty much over and it's time to party.

From those of us who have attended games at the RB with only a couple thousand fans on hand, Zone, I think I can represent...........and tell you that..............no, the players would not like to look up and see a virtually empty stadium.

Hey ITZ..............

Easy there buddy.  Not so personal.  Besides, only a few of the "hackers" were raggin. Better go back and take a count on how few the guys are in number who lit you up, and review.

Seriously................relax.  Only a few guys flamed out.  The rest of us are in with "content" and opinion.............don't let a guy or two get you bent.

Many of us have been in here 4-5 years or more.  This was nuthin!  ZFF used to have a little "Blue" board that really got wild...........ask him about it.  If you think this action is "hot" you should have seen it at the end of the season 3 or 4 years ago!

I like your posts (well, this one not so much  :D ) so don't get mad...........

BTW, Cap'n's right.................10K solid with no free seats may not be that bad for a game # two historically.................but it still makes me sick.

Back to the news for a minute..............I wondered about BB.  Unfortunately, I have some experience around guys with concussions, and when I noticed him getting up with the help of 2 guys (instead of one) and saw him wobble, I predicted it to the guy I was with who is another "experienced" concussion cat.  Now that the "cat's out of the bag" so to speak, about a concussion, you'll get a look at how the staff "works" the deal.  NCAA "guidelines" say 7 full days no contact with the 1st, and that will take him past Buffalo................so we'll see.  If he gets a 2nd, it's 14 days, and a 3rd he's done for the season.  Hell of a little baller..............man I hate to see him go down.

Getsy is tough.  I really like him...............a lot.  He needs help, just like Charley did.  I've read where CMU wanted to work him to the edges, and thought he was weak throwing on the run..............well.............he can work on that.............and unfortunetly he's going to have to with the young line in front of him.

Know what I noticed for the first time Saturday night?  BB is turning out to be a great little blocker.  He was cutting those guys left and right, and successfully.  I didn't see him doing that very often last season.  He must have worked on it.

Back to the scrambling.............Charlie wasn't always as skillful on the run as he turned out to be either..........he had to learn the skill, and he did a great job of it.  Getsy can also.

I'm in the camp with the guys who would have liked to see Ferggie in there also, just to spell Getsy and help out if his hand was all that bad.

One more thing before I forget:

ITZ said:  Honestly, I believe the Zips would rather play in empty stadiums than for 10K fairweather fans and students that leave a close game at the end of the third quarter because the social event is pretty much over and it's time to party.

From those of us who have attended games at the RB with only a couple thousand fans on hand, Zone, I think I can represent...........and tell you that..............no, the players would not like to look up and see a virtually empty stadium.

You made good points until the last statement Z-P. Trust me on this: The players would rather play in front of an empty stadium for an entire game than to have 10K fans show up only to watch them all file out before the 4th quarter. Nothing is more disheartening to a player than to see 75% of the stadium get up and leave in the middle of a game. The members of the team aren't the only Zips that have been packing it in during the 4th quarter this year. I don't care what you say, it's got to have an effect on the psyche of a bunch of teenagers and twenty somethings to see all their "fans" quit on them.

You made good points until the last statement Z-P. Trust me on this: The players would rather play in front of an empty stadium for an entire game than to have 10K fans show up only to watch them all file out before the 4th quarter. Nothing is more disheartening to a player than to see 75% of the stadium get up and leave in the middle of a game. The members of the team aren't the only Zips that have been packing it in during the 4th quarter this year. I don't care what you say, it's got to have an effect on the psyche of a bunch of teenagers and twenty somethings to see all their "fans" quit on them.

I will offer these two thoughts:

1.) I don't believe that it affects the players on the field if fans begin filing out before game's end. 90% of the "fans" left at the half of the Marshall game last year and the team seemed to survive quite well.

2.) If you don't want to see fans leave early, don't get outscored 24-0, at home, in the second half!

As a CMU fan and supporter, I suggest you consider that CMU is a much improved team and program. We did beat Miami at Miami and really gave away the Indiana & EMU games. We are a very young team and we feel that we can beat Toledo and or NIU at home. I think you guys are close to contending and are going to surprise more than just NIU this year. Good luck to the Zips!

I will offer these two thoughts:

1.) I don't believe that it affects the players on the field if fans begin filing out before game's end. 90% of the "fans" left at the half of the Marshall game last year and the team seemed to survive quite well.

2.) If you don't want to see fans leave early, don't get outscored 24-0, at home, in the second half!

This post makes no sense. Don't try to defend the lame Akron support. You actually contradict yourself. It is hard to even think where to begin responding.

Another country heard from is back

Thank you CK for your report and my buddy Z-P was :gun::gun::gun::gun::gun: as usual, thats why i love you man.

I thought there was a bit too much PMA (usualy a necessary requirement) but thinihg so far ahead to a MAC championship game and a bowl after beating NIU. Z-P i hope you were not giving urself a flushie after that game.

This is a program on the rebound. It takes time and most importantly it takes W's. If the spirit on this Board drove the mindset of the team and staff in the CMU game then this Board is to blame. IMHO, everyone took CMU too lightly. They beat MU now UA and they played Indiana tough at home. I remember a cold Octtober day up there freezing my ass off and watched the Chips whip up on the Zips big time only to see LO and PW do what they should have done that entire season was run the ball down everyones throat and wip the Chips badly in the end.

As CK said, there are more games. OU is no pushover. The Buffs up there play UA tough. Cant is Cant and then there are Miami and BG.

Hang in there Zips. I cannot help with the crowd issues. If i had my choice between going to the dark ugly cold RB (notwithstanding CK's tailgate) and a warm family room and a TV, ...........game over! A 1:45 hour drive makes my decision easier though.

Go Zips, 5 (is he wearing it now that Harris got cut?) and Bengals :rock::rock::rock:

This post makes no sense. Don't try to defend the lame Akron support. You actually contradict yourself. It is hard to even think where to begin responding.

The post is pretty straight forward. If you have trouble understanding these two simple statements, you're probably beyond my help. Here...I'll try:

1.) ITZ stated the Zips performance on the field could be affected by the fans leaving the game. I disagree. Once the whistle blows, the players compete and don't pay attention to the stands. This fact was exemplified by the Zips surmounting a 28-7 Marshall lead last season when 90% of the crowd had left the building. I'm sure the players don't like it. Hell, I don't like it. But I doubt it affects them on the field.

2.) The Zips on the field do have some control over whether or not the fans stay, or leave. The Zips played uninspired, ugly football in the second half last Saturday. We got our ass handed to us. Can you blame the casual, bandwagon Zips fan for not wanting to watch the carnage unfold? I stayed the whole game, but I can't blame anyone for exiting.

Here's another basic point for you to try and digest: What happened with the fans leaving the Rubber Bowl early last week HAPPENS IN EVERY SPORT, IN EVERY LEVEL OF PLAY ACROSS THE WORLD! If the home team is getting waxed and the outcome appears inevitable, Mexicans, Canadians, Americans...baseball fans, soccer fans, football fans....THEY ALL LEAVE! It isn't just Zips fans.

Gheez.... :rolleyes:

ITZ stated the Zips performance on the field could be affected by the fans leaving the game. I disagree.

Any former player will tell you it matters A LOT. Look at quotes from players and coaches in college and pros that credit fans for helping them win games. There are two immediate affects it has.......

1- The home team gets inspired and pumped up to run through walls.

2- The visiting team gets rattled and it is much harder to run a no huddle offense and make a comeback if the team can't hear signals and audibles.

Your second comment was.....

If you don't want to see fans leave early, don't get outscored 24-0, at home, in the second half!

Huh? (See #2 above)The so called Zip fans leave no matter what! If the Zips blow somebody out - they leave. If they are getting blown out - they leave. If they are making a comeback - they leave.

One thing they should have learned in the last 2 years is that the outcome is not determined until the final whistle has blown. The Marshall game last year was one of the single best games I have seen in a while. (I paid more to see it on PPV than most of the people at the game). I was embarrassed when my buddies, as well as the announcers, commented on the people leaving as the Zips were making a miraculous comeback. They made the comeback despite the lame fans because they were fighting to make a bowl game and make an impression on TV. The team made an impression and so did the fans........................NO BOWL GAME! Hmmm, why do you think that is? There is the third affect fans have.

The team that got the final bowl bid was getting blown out 21-0 in the first half and came back to win.

I will give you the benefit since there is a lot more to do in Akron than Hawaii.

As bowl season begins, Akron left out by slimmest of margins

Associated Press

Starting Tuesday night with the New Orleans Bowl, 28 bowl games were to be played over the next three weeks, involving nearly half the teams in Division I-A.

More than enough, right? Don't try telling that to the Akron Zips.

They were the only team in Division I-A eligible and willing to play in this postseason that got left out. Finding 56 bowl eligible teams turned out to be more difficult than usual this season as the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern Conference all failed to produce enough teams to fill their tie-ins. (they would have gotten the bids because of fan support)

With an 11-game regular season, teams needed to be at least 6-5 _ and 6-6 wouldn't cut it for Michigan State and Northwestern, which both played a 12th regular-season game at Hawaii.

The task became even tougher when Clemson (6-5) and South Carolina (6-5) pulled out of postseason consideration after brawling during their Nov. 20 game, and left many bowl officials turning to the Mid-American Conference to find over. 500 teams - like Akron.

Heading into the last Saturday, the Zips needed Louisville to beat Tulane in the afternoon and Michigan State to win at Hawaii in final game of this year's regular season to earn a spot in the Hawaii Bowl.

Frye and seven teammates gathered at his place to watch games Dec. 4. All those big tilts with Bowl Championship Series ramifications didn't mean much to the Zips. Who cares about Southern California, Oklahoma and Auburn? What's going on with the Green Wave?

Well, Louisville pounded Tulane 55-7 to eliminate the Wave. If the Spartans came through, the Zips were beach bound.

The game kicked off at 11:30 p.m. EST.

"You could have told us it was 2:30 in the afternoon, we wouldn't have known the difference" Frye said. "It could have kicked off at 3 in the morning and everyone on this team would have watched."

Michigan State was up 21-0 early and 28-14 at halftime.

"When (the Spartans) went 21 up there we were all excited," Frye said. "We thought we were going to a bowl game."

Not so fast. Timmy Chang and Chad Owens rallied the Warriors. Chang scored the go-ahead TD in the fourth quarter and Hawaii (7-5) went on to win 41-38 and land that final bowl bid. (I was watching it, the stadium was filled)

Instead of a trip to Honolulu and a Christmas Eve game against UAB, Akron got ... zip.

"We had the plan," Frye said, "but it just didn't work out."

The Zips on the field do have some control over whether or not the fans stay, or leave. The Zips played uninspired, ugly football in the second half last Saturday. We got our ass handed to us. Can you blame the casual, bandwagon Zips fan for not wanting to watch the carnage unfold? I stayed the whole game, but I can't blame anyone for exiting.

Here's another basic point for you to try and digest: What happened with the fans leaving the Rubber Bowl early last week HAPPENS IN EVERY SPORT, IN EVERY LEVEL OF PLAY ACROSS THE WORLD! If the home team is getting waxed and the outcome appears inevitable, Mexicans, Canadians, Americans...baseball fans, soccer fans, football fans....THEY ALL LEAVE!  It isn't just Zips fans.

Gheez....  :rolleyes:

The carnage unfold?? The game was tied when the mass exodus began and took place at the end of the 3rd quarter/beginning of the fourth

So basically....

As evidenced by the Marshall game, Zips fans will leave when the team is down big.

As evidenced by the NIU game, Zips fans will leave when the Zips are blowing their opponent out.

And as evidenced by the CMU game, Zips fans will leave when the game is DEAD even.

So I don't think you can say Zips fans are like all other fans in sports. It's not even close. The Zips have some of the WORST fans in sports.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone else about the fan situation. Up to the point last game when it was essentially over, the students were hanging around in greater numbers than they did in the past. I really think one of the problems is that the stadium is so far from campus. Evidence: My wife overheard one of the students who must be at the game say something similar to this very shortly after the game was over

"Lets hurry up and get out of here, the kegs open in 5 min."

The students are ready to party on Sat. and by 9:00 are ready to leave for one. So it appears we have a conflict. Nobody will come to the games at 1:00 because of OUS, but the students leave at 9:00 to party. An on campus stadium will help, but winning will help more.

As a former player and 2 year starter I will tell you that fan support does matter, When it is the fourth quarter your tired and drenched in sweat, hearing the crowd cheer defense or chanting let's go zips does something to you, it gives you that extra umph you need to make the play. I had never experienced a losing season until I came to the university of akron, I had to learn to depend upon myself for that extra motivation at the end of the game because you aren't going to get it from the fans.

And as a former player the last thing a player wants to hear after a loss is you guys are pathetic, fingerpointing and blaming. Do you guys think players don't read some of the ignorant stuff you guys type?

COnfidence is a funny thing, cheers are sometimes hard to hear sometimes but boo's are always loud and clear!

As a former player and 2 year starter I will tell you that fan support does matter, When it is the fourth quarter your tired and drenched in sweat, hearing the crowd cheer defense or chanting let's go zips does something to you, it gives you that extra umph you need to make the play. I had never experienced a losing season until I came to the university of akron, I had to learn to depend upon myself for that extra motivation at the end of the game because you aren't going to get it from the fans.

And as a former player the last thing a player wants to hear after a loss is you guys are pathetic, fingerpointing and blaming. Do you guys think players don't read some of the ignorant stuff you guys type?

COnfidence is a funny thing, cheers are sometimes hard to hear sometimes but boo's are always loud and clear!

:thumb: Exactly.

Hey CK, apparently the crowd does affect performance..........

The standing room only crowd of 2,319 fans that filled Lee Jackson field Friday for the game against Ohio State gave the players and coaches a big home field advantage. After the game, Lolla was appreciative.

"The atmosphere tonight was spectacular," he said. "They were a big part of this win."

McKenzie agrees.

"When you play in front of such a big crowd, it makes it so much easier to play at a high level."

http://www.buchtelite.com/2005/1004/sports_01.shtml

Here is our problem. Here is why no one will come to football games.

Look at the rubber bowl. The place is way off campus. It's crumbling and has a high school stadium atmosphere.

Next you have the team itself. Since when was the last time we even made it to a bowl or played in a MAC championship? Ya, exactly. Miami, BG, NIU, and Toledo would all have the same lousy MAC fan support without winning teams. The MAC as a whole is in the same boat as we are. We must win and build a winning tradition. We MUST build this new stadium if we want to be on par with everyone else in the MAC. What is taking so long? :wall:

the rubber bowl did not stop 25 k last year,marshall ,and 35k when we played Can't in the opener a few years ago. if we win the fans will show up. no doubt a new stadium on campus would help, but if you don't win for how long? if we win the fans will show at the rubber bowl. as for comments on the board being negative. some of the fans have been following the program for years, and paid a ton $ of money to frezze our butts off to see losing teams year after year.while i try to be positive ,and not overeact after one game i can see why some of the posters are so negative. i think the two wins got the expectations way to high.i did not think the cmu game would be easy, and was not surprised at the outcome.

We had 10,000 fans at the game. 10,000 people that could have done anything they wanted on one of the last beautiful days of 2005 in NE Ohio. They elected to come to the Rubber Bowl to watch the Zips. The tailgating was in full force. The lower bowl lot was packed out to the BMX track. People began arriving at 1pm.

Look around the MAC. Who else is drawing more than 10,000 fans. BG had 19k for their Temple game. Not 39k...19k. And they're coming off a couple championship seasons. Miami had around 16k (announced) for their big showdown/rivalry with Cincinnati. OU students empty the stadium immediately following their band's performance. But, 10,000 Akron fans are "the worst in sports" because some left before game's end? Please...

I have a video of a Zips vs. BG in the Rubber Bowl about 7 years ago. It was held on a day very similar to last Saturday. You would never know if fans left early...because there were about 400 TOTAL in attendance. You'd never know students left early because there were none to be found (except for players and band members). Despite winning absolutely nothing for the past 7 years, our game attendance has risen exponentially. And, without handing out freebies like last season. Yet people feel compelled to rip on the fans that showed up.

The AK-Rowdies show up in force for NIU and in respectable numbers for game #2 even though they need to catch a bus for the 7-mile jaunt out to the bowl...but they suck because some left early? Please...

Yeah, there are a-holes on this board. There are fair-weather fans too. If you think what you read on here is bad, you should see the stuff that gets deleted. It seems that all to often, the 3 or 4 flaming a-holes somehow get to represent the entire board while the 25 rational posts that are interesting, insightful or educational get summarily dismissed.

Ryno mentions "booing." I didn't hear any of the 10,000 "worst fans in sports" boo last week...and there was probably ample reason to do so as the 4th quarter progressed.

I'm tired. I'm going to bed. In summation: What a broad brush people seem compelled to paint people with around here. Despite what some have written regarding the fans who participate on this board, there are a lot of quality people who contribute here. I've met many of them. I've also met many players, parents, coaches etc. through the board. To a man, all are solid people.

If you come on this board to rip the 10,000 fans that actually decided to spend their Saturday afternoon/evening watching Zips football for 1 quarter...3 quarters or the entire game, you will likely run into some resistance here. Why? Because it is absurd. Oh yeah...and because this board is run by Zips fans.

Capt, I would not say we are a-holes because we don't agree with you that fan support doesnt affect a team. I also think it is sad when a team plays their hearts out and nobody stays to watch.

Those are 2 comments you made that I don't agree with.

Some of us are ex-players giving you insight to the impact the crowd has and each of us would also like to see the program become successful.

I don't bash the true Zip fans, the few there are, I wonder where the rest of the community is. Also praise to the mothers and fathers of the players.

I am skeptical a new stadium will get filled, because it would take the community to fill it.............they would still have to drive somewhere, it will still be cold, and we might lose a game or two (we might even get outscored in a half).

I think when recruits and bowl representatives see an Akron game, they look for other options.

I think a new stadium stadium would be nice, but think the people running the programs and teams are more important.

I would like to see the school, former students and the community reap the benefits of a nationally known university.

And I would like people to stop asking me..."why did you go to Akron?"

Capt, I would not say we are a-holes because we don't agree with you that fan support doesnt affect a team. I also think it is sad when a team plays their hearts out and nobody stays to watch.

Those are 2 comments you made that I don't agree with.

1.) Nowhere did I say you were an a-hole. Absolutely nowhere. I said a-holes sometimes post on this board, and the critic's "broad brush" comes out. That no one remembers 90% of the people posting here are solid fans with interesting opinions who keep things on a civil level. One a-hole posts something stupid, and all of the sudden EVERYONE on the board is a jerk. That's what I said. Z-P mentioned this in a post too.

2.) Nowhere did I say players love playing to an empty stadium or seeing fans leave. I said that once the whistle blows, the fans are invisible.

I read the news releases for the game. Hixson said the team let down. Brookhart said the team lacked intensity. That "we missed more assigments in that game than any other two combined." Of the top 50 things that caused us to lose the game last week, fans exiting the game during the 3rd/4th quarter would not rate...even at #50. CMU won that game and they had all of 34 fans in the seats.

Yes, I'm sure it is disappointing to a player to see fans leave. In my post I said it disappointed me too. But they showed up while the rest of NE Ohio stayed home. As I stated earlier, the "early exit" phenomena is in no way unique to Zips fans.

Yes I realize that a packed house gives the team energy. It is a lot more fun in the stands when there's 20k+ too.

I've beaten this one into the ground. It seems like regardless of what I write, people just read something else anyhow...

I have to say that I believe the maximum number of fans in increasing. They don't fully arrive till the end of the first, and leave near the end of the third, but at least there are more fans at the height. I could be wrong though, blocking off the end zone kinda packs everyone in and gives the illusion that there are more fans there.

Another indication I have that fan support is growing is that the number of new posters here seems to have spiked. It is a bummer when people flame on the board, but isn't that kinda why this board is here, for people to bounce around their thoughts on the team? People can say I'm a crappy fan, but I don't see a packed visitors section at the away games. There will always be one fan pissed and one fan who think's we would knock off USC if we played them tomorrow.

If the players read this then they are getting a good idea of what the hardcore fans really think, unfiltered. In the end, I can't play football (I picked a sport that required the LEAST amount of physical activity remember) so it shouldn't matter to the players. Most of us are out of college anyway and even more would be out of work for a week if we played one down out there. I'm done with this thread now. Lets move on to UB.