Akron Things to Do, Where to eat

TexanMark

I would recommend anyone staying a night or two to stay in west Akron/Montrose. Close to Cleveland if you want to see the Rock and Roll HOF, but it is still basically in Akron. Anything you may need is within 4 miles of the area.

Enjoy your trip.

I know alot of Cuse fans are staying north of Akron in Macedonia next to I-271. I've driven through the area and looks pretty nice. Any good late night restaurants around Macedonia that will still serve around 11pm?

BTW, so where is "The Valley"? anyone have a street intersection? I googled it and it looked to be pretty far out in the suburbs.

Directions to the Merriman Valley, from Market Street on the northern edge of campus

So this is the place?

Yes. Papa Joe's is a very good place to eat if you like Italian. My wife and I lived just above that in west Akron by Stan Hywet Hall and we used to go there all the time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend anyone staying a night or two to stay in west Akron/Montrose. Close to Cleveland if you want to see the Rock and Roll HOF, but it is still basically in Akron. Anything you may need is within 4 miles of the area.

Enjoy your trip.

I know alot of Cuse fans are staying north of Akron in Macedonia next to I-271. I've driven through the area and looks pretty nice. Any good late night restaurants around Macedonia that will still serve around 11pm?

BTW, so where is "The Valley"? anyone have a street intersection? I googled it and it looked to be pretty far out in the suburbs.

Directions to the Merriman Valley, from Market Street on the northern edge of campus

So this is the place?

I edited my orginal post. Google Maps didn't allow me to save the directions, so I just provided them myself.

Enjoy your trip.

Macedonia? There's no way to get to campus from there without driving through major construction. Route 8 is still the fastest way, but you have to go through the Boston Heights speed trap. Macedonia is mostly chain restaurants and strip malls. It's about the most generic suburb that you'll ever see, unless you head off into the national park.

As far as the Valley goes, it's still in Akron, but barely. We're used to having to drive to get places. Nothing's really centrally located in Akron, everything is spread out all over so we don't really think about it. It's where most of the complaints come from when people out of town complain that there's nothing to do, because they don't know where to go and wrongly assume that all the good stuff is concentrated downtown like in other cities.

Appreciate all your inputs...but my small caravan group is driving over Friday night...getting in late around 11pm...most are getting up early to hit the HOF in Canton then to the tailgate. A couple of us not going are getting last minute tailgate supplies for 100. Then we are tailgating early afternoon, watching the game, be back to the hotel around 11pm (unless we stay and continue at a place like Brubakers--obviously depends on the outcome of the game)...get up Sunday and drive home. Macedonia will work for us...others in my tailgate might find some of your other places to stay very useful...thanks. Keep it coming...BTW, Brubaker's looks awesome. Not sure I have time but would like to have a beer there. I see the downtown location is a short walk to Lot 34...hmmmm maybe a post game meetup there.

Macedonia has a few things NE Ohio is famous for in the Winking Lizard and Panini's....both will be open late when you return from the game. The Lizard has (IMHO) the best wings in the area and Panini's is famous for their overstuffed sandwiches with cole slaw and french fries on freshly sliced bread (think Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh). Both bar/restaurants will have plenty of sports on for your viewing pleasure.

The next morning you've got your choice of Leo's, Luna's, The Dolphin and Bob Evans for breakfast....there is also Panera if you don't want to sit down.

Enjoy your trip.

Macedonia? There's no way to get to campus from there without driving through major construction. Route 8 is still the fastest way, but you have to go through the Boston Heights speed trap. Macedonia is mostly chain restaurants and strip malls. It's about the most generic suburb that you'll ever see, unless you head off into the national park.

As far as the Valley goes, it's still in Akron, but barely. We're used to having to drive to get places. Nothing's really centrally located in Akron, everything is spread out all over so we don't really think about it. It's where most of the complaints come from when people out of town complain that there's nothing to do, because they don't know where to go and wrongly assume that all the good stuff is concentrated downtown like in other cities.

Appreciate all your inputs...but my small caraven group is driving over Friday night...getting in late around 11pm...most are getting up early to hit the HOF in Canton then to the tailgate. A couple of us not going are getting last minute tailgate supplies for 100. Then we are tailgating early afternoon, watching the game, be back to the hotel around 11pm...get up Sunday and drive home. Macedonia will work for us...others in my tailgate might find some of your other places to stay very useful...thanks. Keep it coming...BTW, Brubaker's looks awesome. Not sure I have time but would like to have a beer there. I see the downtown location is a short walk to Lot 34...hmmmm maybe a post game meetup there.

One very small complaint about Brubaker's is that they don't have a deep fryer, so no french fries! One HUGE complaint about Brubaker's is that they sometimes have an inflatable Brutus Buckeye right outside their front door - right in OUR DOWNTOWN!!! Rat bastards.

One very small complaint about Brubaker's is that they don't have a deep fryer, so no french fries! One HUGE complaint about Brubaker's is that they sometimes have an inflatable Brutus Buckeye right outside their front door - right in OUR DOWNTOWN!!! Rat bastards.

We walked into Brubakers dressed in zips gear last year prior to a home game and the bartender/waitress asked us if we were here for the game. We told her that we stopped in to have a beer prior to heading over to tailgate. She was surprised that we were going to have a couple of beers and drive to Columbus...

:rofl:

BTW Zach, Ohio Brewing Company no longer has a pub. They're making beer again, but it's only available on tap in other establishments (69 Taps Downtown, Johnny J's Pub in the Merriman Valley among others).

I talked to the owner in July and was told that a new pub was opening in the Valley in August. Anyone know if she happened for sure? When the Aeros aren't in town its hard to find the best beer in Akron.

BTW Zach, Ohio Brewing Company no longer has a pub. They're making beer again, but it's only available on tap in other establishments (69 Taps Downtown, Johnny J's Pub in the Merriman Valley among others).

I talked to the owner in July and was told that a new pub was opening in the Valley in August. Anyone know if she happened for sure? When the Aeros aren't in town its hard to find the best beer in Akron.

The Valley location (the old Rax/Scorchers) was the last location I've heard from the Verich's as well (about the same time frame as you). I do know they've been focusing on getting the brewery on Selle St up and running. This may have delayed any new pub from opening? They have a Facebook page, but the information kind of trickles in.

The Valley location (the old Rax/Scorchers) was the last location I've heard from the Verich's as well (about the same time frame as you). I do know they've been focusing on getting the brewery on Selle St up and running. This may have delayed any new pub from opening? They have a Facebook page, but the information kind of trickles in.

This disappoints me. I'm all about seeing the downtown develop; I don't care much about the valley. It's cool, and all, but a downtown is the face of a city.

Enjoy your trip.

Appreciate all your inputs...but my small caraven group is driving over Friday night...getting in late around 11pm...most are getting up early to hit the HOF in Canton then to the tailgate. A couple of us not going are getting last minute tailgate supplies for 100. Then we are tailgating early afternoon, watching the game, be back to the hotel around 11pm...get up Sunday and drive home. Macedonia will work for us...others in my tailgate might find some of your other places to stay very useful...thanks. Keep it coming...BTW, Brubaker's looks awesome. Not sure I have time but would like to have a beer there. I see the downtown location is a short walk to Lot 34...hmmmm maybe a post game meetup there.

I won't go to Brubaker's again. Last year for the OU game (the 2nd game at ICS), they were totally overwhelmed with Zips fans. You would think that you would be prepared for an event at a 30,000 seat stadium less than a mile from your establishment. Of course, the entire staff was dressed in Ohio State gear and the girls waitressing were more worried about helping out the college boys than the other fans where were there to eat. It was terrible, we walked in 90 minutes before kickoff, ordered our own food from the bar and thankfully had cash so we could just leave. We barely made kickoff!

I won't go to Brubaker's again. Last year for the OU game (the 2nd game at ICS), they were totally overwhelmed with Zips fans. You would think that you would be prepared for an event at a 30,000 seat stadium less than a mile from your establishment. Of course, the entire staff was dressed in Ohio State gear and the girls waitressing were more worried about helping out the college boys than the other fans where were there to eat. It was terrible, we walked in 90 minutes before kickoff, ordered our own food from the bar and thankfully had cash so we could just leave. We barely made kickoff!

I had a similar experience before a football game there but i also watched the college cup semifinal there (could only make the final last december) and i had a blast watching it. They had Zips souvenir beer cups and anyone with Zips gear on got that 16 ounce cup full of a domestic for 1.50. Twas a very drunken and fun night.

getting back to the topic at hand....i no longer live in akron but still live close enough to go out there from time to time. the two things that i miss the most is Luigi's and swensons (both are land marks for akron and very close to campus). if you are looking to go out i'd also stick by campus (if you're young) you've got barely house and posh as well as the other bars mentioned above. the street will be similar to the main street at su. texan mark i took you up on your advice for dino bbq now i am returning the favor. Luigi's and swensons! lots of great beer. most have talked about akron beer but you have to try at least one great lakes. by far the best beer in the area and very easy to get (every place will have it). i brought dortmunder gold up to su and everyone loved it.

hope this helps!

:screwks:

I've been frequenting Edgar's for the past couple of years, and it's become one of my favorite places for dinner in the Akron area. Chef Gillespie is not only outstanding in the kitchen, but he always makes a round of the tables and he has to be one of the nicest people I've met. He richly deserves the nomination, and I'll be voting for him!

I talked to the Ohio Brewing Company folks tonight, so I have a few updates. First, the brewery on Selle St is JUST ABOUT ready to come on line. I think it has more to do with state inspections, etc. than anything else. Now here is the interesting news.

The Rockne's on Hudson Drive (just off of Route 8) in Cuyahoga Falls is soon to become the "featured bar" for OBC beer. I was there tonight and had some Cardinal Ale, Steel Valley Stout and Alternative Amber. They (Rockne's) are going to change their name to "OBC at Rockne's" (presumably that location only), and they will always have 5 or 6 OBC beers available on tap. And get this! OBC beer will soon (September, I was told) be available in bottles (6 pack) at select Acmes, Giant Eagles, and Fishers around the area. Verich Gold, Cardinal Ale, and Ohio Fest will be the 1st selections available in stores.

I talked to the Ohio Brewing Company folks tonight, so I have a few updates. First, the brewery on Selle St is JUST ABOUT ready to come on line. I think it has more to do with state inspections, etc. than anything else. Now here is the interesting news.

The Rockne's on Hudson Drive (just off of Route 8) in Cuyahoga Falls is soon to become the "featured bar" for OBC beer. I was there tonight and had some Cardinal Ale, Steel Valley Stout and Alternative Amber. They (Rockne's) are going to change their name to "OBC at Rockne's" (presumably that location only), and they will always have 5 or 6 OBC beers available on tap. And get this! OBC beer will soon (September, I was told) be available in bottles (6 pack) at select Acmes, Giant Eagles, and Fishers around the area. Verich Gold, Cardinal Ale, and Ohio Fest will be the 1st selections available in stores.

That is GREAT news all around. It's too bad no one has OBC downtown but to be able to drink it and not have to buy a keg is awesome. I know what i'm having for tailgating this year (Verich Gold FTW)

• 9 months later...
you have to try at least one great lakes. by far the best beer in the area and very easy to get (every place will have it). i brought dortmunder gold up to su and everyone loved it.

It ain't bad but it's not worth the $5 a pint most places charge for it.

you have to try at least one great lakes. by far the best beer in the area and very easy to get (every place will have it). i brought dortmunder gold up to su and everyone loved it.

It ain't bad but it's not worth the $5 a pint most places charge for it.

I believe the restaurant is in stow

Well, in the spirit of this thread, my wife and I had a great time in Akron last weekend. We went to Stan Hywet in the morning, stopped by Bricco for a very good, very reasonable lunch, and then took a ride down the toe paths in the afternoon. We're probably going to head back and do it again sometime this summer.

It has been around 40 years since I last ate at the Diamond Grille.

But it was the best steak I ever had. I can still remember it.

And they used to have banquets and such in the back room. I recall seeing Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Howard Cosell in the place.

Wow, I'm surprised those guys all came to Akron for a Zips game. Was that the one Howard called on ABC?

I also had one of the greatest steaks ever at the Diamond Grille about 40 years ago. Fabulous dining experience.

Then I went about five years ago. The service was slow, the orders got mixed up, and my steak was tough, dry, and way overpriced. Not a great dining experience. Haven't been back since.

What? NoTex/Mex downtown? If thats the way you want to go try Azteca on E. Market,El Meson in Cuy. Falls(Portage Tr),Mariachi Loco on Waterloo Rd.

But anybody coming to this area this time of year has to go to Cuy Valley NP. Ride the train from downtown if you don't want to drive. Hit the Winking Lizard in Peninsula. Ride the train back. Around here you can't waste good weather sitting inside.

Papa Joe's is a good Italian place in the Valley. A little more expensive but a nice place. But,you will have to wait if you don't have a reservation most evenings.

What? NoTex/Mex downtown? If thats the way you want to go try Azteca on E. Market,El Meson in Cuy. Falls(Portage Tr),Mariachi Loco on Waterloo Rd.

But anybody coming to this area this time of year has to go to Cuy Valley NP. Ride the train from downtown if you don't want to drive. Hit the Winking Lizard in Peninsula. Ride the train back. Around here you can't waste good weather sitting inside.

Papa Joe's is a good Italian place in the Valley. A little more expensive but a nice place. But,you will have to wait if you don't have a reservation most evenings.

Lee,

I am in the area for a while and would live to take my young daughter to ride the train...she loves trains. Can you give me more info on where to catch the train and when it is operational??