New LeBron Nike Ad

Dr Z

LBJ, I'm not sure it's a good idea to ask Cavs fans "What should I do?" I don't think you will like the answer. :D

Good try by Nike. I wonder how many creative meetings there were. I would have liked to been in on a few of those brainstorming meetings.

That's actually a damn good message, even though between the lines, it's making excuses.

It's a great point, because you can't make everyone happy, and you'll go insane always bending to pressure.

It doesn't change the fact that he played cleveland all wrong.

Haven't looked at it. Probably will see it on TV soon enough. Whatever it says, he didn't write it. Some ad agency scripted it and test-marketing it to death. With the money Nike has invested in him, I'm sure they are praying this is the first step in rehabbing his image. Right now, he's endorsement poison. Except in So. Fla. That may change. Over time, people forgive. Except in Cleveland.

I have some ideas

1) not quit in the playoffs

2) keep his mom away from delonte

3) stop crying

4) eat a big pile of something

but no matter what he does, I'm sure he'll have an hour long special to announce it.

5) tip waitresses

6) follow AI

7) ask Jim Brown "what is it like to win a championship"

8) Realize that you are not the greatest player from Ohio. (that honor goes to Cy Young)

9) stop flipping off people with cameras

10) Realize that Akron was on the map long before Lebron James.

If you were Nike, would you have done something different, or do you think this ad is good? (Try to remove your "hatred" and think business).

What do you grade the ad, F to A?

I would give it an "A" for what it is trying to do. It is Nike, and they always have some of the best ad campaigns going. It's interesting to see Nike in full defensive mode. I don't believe I've ever seen Nike circle the wagons like this.

The ad could have perhaps had a more apologetic tone? While the message of the ad is true, I think a little false remorse may have been a nice touch.

IMHO the only way LeBron will recover from "The Decision" is winning a championship. The Decision was a disaster. He should have simply announced his decision via email.

Akron and NOT Cleveland!

same professional sports market. :wave:

Unfortunately.

As unfortunate is the fact that we share a common tv market, which Cleveland controls, and has been using to piss on Akron for decades now.

That's why it is so HUGE that LeBron drew the line in the sand between the two cities. We in Akron desperately need our own self-image. A self-image divorced from the old common assumption that Akron is simply Cleveland's little brother.

LeBron's explicit comments that he is from Akron and not from Cleveland is HUGE for Akron's self-identity. Psychologically, this is indeed a very large, healthy and much needed step.

I don't think anybody is "handing" out masks. It's a local radio stunt. I think. You download it and print it out yourself.

98.5 The Sports Hub

Here you go if you want to run around your house wearing it tonight.

delonte.jpg

Edit: I sent this to my sister in-law, she was a big Delonte fan last year, her comment "I understand why he is "rich", but I don't get the "toucher" part. What did he touch?" :lol:

Akron and NOT Cleveland!

Unfortunately.

As unfortunate is the fact that we share a common tv market, which Cleveland controls, and has been using to piss on Akron for decades now.

That's why it is so HUGE that LeBron drew the line in the sand between the two cities. We in Akron desperately need our own self-image. A self-image divorced from the old common assumption that Akron is simply Cleveland's little brother.

LeBron's explicit comments that he is from Akron and not from Cleveland is HUGE for Akron's self-identity. Psychologically, this is indeed a very large, healthy and much needed step.

+1

NOW he asks "What should I do"?

Things would have been a LOT different if he had asked that question before his hour long prime time SCREW OHIO FEST.

Here's what you can do. Go to he!!.

Akron and NOT Cleveland!

Unfortunately.

Except that:

1) Most people don't think there's any kind of rift between Akron and Cleveland (because, except on the streets, there's not)

2) Most people in Akron enjoy going to Cleveland, and follow Cleveland's sports teams

3) LeBron's "drawing a line in the sand" got almost zero national or local attention, aside from a few stories the day he made his comments

4) Nobody looks at LeBron as a credible source on anything but basketball and being an egomaniac

The commercial was a nice attempt by Nike, but anyone aware of James' actions this summer know he was begging for the same attention he's complaining about now. LeBron's going to need a lot more than trying to play the victim and attempts at humor to restore his image.

Except that:

1) Most people don't think there's any kind of rift between Akron and Cleveland (because, except on the streets, there's not)

2) Most people in Akron enjoy going to Cleveland, and follow Cleveland's sports teams

3) LeBron's "drawing a line in the sand" got almost zero national or local attention, aside from a few stories the day he made his comments

4) Nobody looks at LeBron as a credible source on anything but basketball and being an egomaniac

The commercial was a nice attempt by Nike, but anyone aware of James' actions this summer know he was begging for the same attention he's complaining about now. LeBron's going to need a lot more than trying to play the victim and attempts at humor to restore his image.

You know what, you can have your rivalry with Cleveland, it's all well and good. But LeLoser made an ass out of all of us. Not just Cleveland.

To warm my old quote back up, Just because you're from Akron doesn't mean I have to like you.

Celtics 88 Heat 80
The Heat looked like last years Cavs to me. LBJ and the rest of the team. I don't know a whole lot about the NBA, but I have watched a lot of LBJ in the NBA. It looks like his team will be the same. He tries to get everyone involved in the first half, then when/if that doesn't work, he tries to win it by himself in the second half. All the talk about which one of the three guys (LBJ, Wade, Bosh) will do this or that, it looks to me this is still LBJ and the rest of the guys on the floor. I figured I would start watching the game and get bored or mad and shut it off, but I ended up watching and enjoying the whole game. I guess I still enjoy watching LBJ play.