Dayton game - free stream on FSO website

zippyfan34

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what our last substitutions were about. We need a defensive stop so we put in Abreu? The guy coach has complained about not playing hard enough on defense and Diggs who has been abused? Zips played 'em tough tonight, but yet again it isn't enough. I'll give these guys a pass because it is early in the season and we have so many new faces, but at some point we need to man up and put a signature win up. The opportunity was there again tonight and the Zips couldn't convert.

We gave them all they could handle. We played hard all game and a lot of our guys stepped up. No way UD would want to come to the JAR next year. The deciding play was the traveling call on the hit three pointer at the end.

I am just waiting for that signature win on our tournament card. It will happen, I just hope it is soon (i.e. this season).

The MAC is getting killed in the OOC so far this season. No way we get an at-large bid. Even with a 23/24-X record, our RPI will be too low based on RPI from our conference schedule.

I go into every season with the expectation that Akron has to win the MAC Tournament to go to the dance. Until MAC teams make consecutive runs in the Tourney, at-large bids are a pipe dream.

I hope there's a lesson here for Zeke. If he focuses too much on defense, he risks getting in foul trouble. If he stays in the game and focuses more on offense, he becomes the inside scorer the Zips otherwise lack. I think it's best for the team if Zeke becomes a little less aggressive on defense to avoid foul trouble and uses the extra PT to become more assertive on offense.

With all due respect to Bardo's effort, which is beyond question, you can see the handwriting on the wall. As the season goes on, and they gain experience, the more skilled Euton and Egner will be taking more of Bardo's PT, especially when Zeke is sitting. Both freshmen have way more inside and outside offense to offer than Bardo.

I hope there's a lesson here for Zeke. If he focuses too much on defense, he risks getting in foul trouble. If he stays in the game and focuses more on offense, he becomes the inside scorer the Zips otherwise lack. I think it's best for the team if Zeke becomes a little less aggressive on defense to avoid foul trouble and uses the extra PT to become more assertive on offense.

With all due respect to Bardo's effort, which is beyond question, you can see the handwriting on the wall. As the season goes on, and they gain experience, the more skilled Euton and Egner will be taking more of Bardo's PT, especially when Zeke is sitting. Both freshmen have way more inside and outside offense to offer than Bardo.

Disagree on a lot of fronts here. The problem with Zeke last night wasn't so much of his focus on defense as it was our guards lack of ability to keep anyone in front of them. We played matador defense on the perimeter all night long. Dayton's guards and wings drove to the hoop relentlessly and with little resistance. When that happens it puts a lot of pressure on your bigs down low which results in foul trouble. Could Zeke have made some better decisions at times and avoided some of the foul trouble? Sure. But at some point our guards are going to have to step up and protect the big fella instead of taking the mentality of, "it's ok if I let this guy by me, Zeke will clean it up."

Completely agree with the assessment of Bardo. After five years I'm still not sure what he brings to the table. It isn't so much that he's a bad defender (although for the life of me I still don't see the great defense that KD and others rave about with him), but the problem is that when he's on the floor the Zips are essentially playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. Short of not leaving him wide open under the basket our opponents don't have to pay any attention at all to him. If you notice, during our patented 8 minute scoring drought in the first half, Bardo was on the floor for a good chunk of it. I hate to continuously criticize the guy, because by all reports he's a good kid who works hard, but playing big minutes at this level is just not for him.

As far as Euton and Egner, I can agree that I'm looking forward to Euton getting more time, not so much Egner. Last night confirmed my worst fears from after the Milliken game. KD is going to regret burning Josh's redshirt bigtime. It is one thing to look good against a bunch of D-III cupcakes, it is a totally different thing when you are up against a quality opponent who has athletes that match if not exceed what Josh brings to the floor. Josh looked completely lost last night and made little to no impact in the minutes he was on the floor. He needed to sit and watch this year, and now he won't have the opportunity. As far as Dakotah goes, burning his redshirt was absolutely the right idea. I personally want to see him on the floor with Zeke more as I think their combined skill sets really complement each other well. He set some very good screens last night, was aggressive on the boards and wasn't afraid to let it fly when he got the opportunity. Really looking forward to seeing more of him.

I'm with you on the rest of the team needing to help Zeke more on defense. But Zeke also has to take the mindset that not getting into foul trouble is more important than trying to plug every single hole in the defense. Zeke and the whole team have to work together on this. The Zips can still be competitive without Zeke on the floor. But they cannot win the big ones against big, fast opponents with Zeke playing only 19 minutes. As a team, the Zips have to find a way to keep Zeke on the floor for 30 minutes.