Suckeyes Tattoo Investigation

wadscarman

Blah blah blah. They do it, so it's not so bad if we do it. Cam Newton blah blah. Tress is well respected among the NCAA. Not that that says much. And Akron doesn't discipline it's players (like the starting QB).

The Buckeyes self reported it. But it was found out when the IRS investigated the tattoos. So which is it?

Oh well, you can't have an objective conversation with a honk. It's not that I hate the Buckeyes, I proved otherwise. But their defending these jerks, and filing appeals, only a few weeks after Gee's elitist commentary, casts a pall over the Shoe for me. They're no better than the rest of the NCAA.

Here's a point I haven't heard brought up yet.

If the NCAA had any sense, they would have released their ruling AFTER the Sugar Bowl. Then there wouldn't be any controversy about these men playing in the bowl game, yet suspended in 2011. Not only are they money grubbing hypocrites, they're also very bad at hiding it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah. They do it, so it's not so bad if we do it. Cam Newton blah blah. Tress is well respected among the NCAA. Not that that says much. And Akron doesn't discipline it's players (like the starting QB).

The Buckeyes self reported it. But it was found out when the IRS investigated the tattoos. So which is it?

Oh well, you can't have an objective conversation with a honk. It's not that I hate the Buckeyes, I proved otherwise. But their defending these jerks, and filing appeals, only a few weeks after Gee's elitist commentary, casts a pall over the Shoe for me. They're no better than the rest of the NCAA.

Here's a point I haven't heard brought up yet.

If the NCAA had any sense, they would have released their ruling AFTER the Sugar Bowl. Then there wouldn't be any controversy about these men playing in the bowl game, yet suspended in 2011. Not only are they money grubbing hypocrites, they're also very bad at hiding it.

Like I previously stated, the NCAA has no authority to suspend these players for a bowl game. Bowl games are not NCAA events. They are privately staged and funded exhibition games. Now if Ohio State had had the good sense to suspend the players themselves for the bowl game, the NCAA probably wouldn't have come down so hard. But because they basically gave the NCAA the finger, and continue to do so, the NCAA took them to the shed. The NCAA should be applauded in this instance, not criticized.

Like I previously stated, the NCAA has no authority to suspend these players for a bowl game. Bowl games are not NCAA events. They are privately staged and funded exhibition games. .....

The NCAA has stated that its suspension policy for bowl games or NCAA championships "recognizes the unique opportunity these events provide at the end of a season, and they are evaluated differently from a withholding perspective."

There have been alot of posts about paying athletes, giving cars, allowing athletes to sell items, pay for autographs, etc. A couple of things that need to be understood is that:

1. We are talking about "higher education" and that these are STUDENT athletes. The primary word is STUDENT and that these athletes are in school for an education. Yes, athletics is VERY much a part of "higher education" and their reason to be at that university, but they are still here for an education (in most cases).

2. 90% of universities lose money in athletics as shown in previous NCAA reports. Link 1

Link 2

Adding payment for student athletes will only make it worse for every university. Coaches and administrative salaries as well as expenses are at crazy levels. Programs for the 90% of the universities are "choked" as it is and as difficult it is already to recruit, paying student athletes will only add "fuel to the fire" in the recruiting war. Can you imagine adding "paying athletes" at Akron? People complain about $20.00 for a football ticket as it is, can't get 4,000 on a regular basis for basketball. Someone has to pay for all of this, the fans.

3. As a previous "car dealer" for Akron athletics, it was like "pulling teeth" assisting Akron in trying to get area car dealers to participate in the "car coach" program and provide vehicles for use by the coaches and/or administration. There are dealers that are standing in line to give cars to the Suckeyes and the other 10% of university athletics. Providing cars to athletes in exchange for autograph sessions, etc. only distances the 90% of athletic programs from the others in obaining quality student athletes.

4. Athletes needing spending money etc. I know there are some instances when athletes come from a less than usual financial situation. Well that happens for thousands of other students throughout the world that are getting an education as well. As some have stated, there are student loans, Pell Grants, etc. that can help in these instances. So what a "student athlete" needs to have a few student loans to get them through college. There are hundreds of thousands of students doing this everyday!!!!!!!! I see on a regular basis where a young person purchasing a vehicle and has $80-$100K of student loans upon graduation (including those from a poor situation) If a student athlete needs this type of situation, so be it, it sure will NOT be in the $80-$100K range like many students. AFTER they are done with school or their playing time, they can THEN sell their stuff to pay off their loans.

5. Letting athletes get jobs opens up another can of worms. Guaranteed a "higher level" athlete getting a job from a donor etc. would receive excessive compensation vs others in their position as well as different working conditions, hours, etc.

Oh well, just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas to everyone.

5. Letting athletes get jobs opens up another can of worms. Guaranteed a "higher level" athlete getting a job from a donor etc. would receive excessive compensation vs others in their position as well as different working conditions, hours, etc.

Oh well, just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Good post wadscarman. I hope you and your family are doing well. Merry Christmas.

In terms of your last point, it does open up the potential for bad business decisions on the part of the business owner. However, people get all sorts of jobs for all sorts of reasons. There are people in corporate America grossly overcompensated for their efforts yet everyone looks the other way because it is legal. A college athlete getting paid for a job allows the payment to be above table and in the public. It allows the employee to accept money in a legal manner as earnings have to be reported to the IRS. Right now, under the table money is not reported making these people actual criminals.

At the end of the day, nobody was hurt by what the tOSU players did or their reasoning behind what they did. Everyone is doing what these kids did and college football gets more popular every year. If student athlets get paid, college football would not be hurt and would continue to become more popular. There isn't a starter on the tOSU football team, or any other similar level team, that pays for a drink when he walks into a bar in their city....they are getting $20 handshakes all the time...the amount of money passed around to high level student athletes is huge and will continue..It did not change the performance of the team.

I was watching the 30 for 30 story on SMU again this morning. It is a must see for anyone interested in paying college athletes. Eric Dickerson received a sports car while being recruited in high school by an A&M recuiter (a private person from A & M making a bad decision is OK with me). Let's say SMU did give it to him. Some might say that's terrible. I say, "Is that all"? The amount of money that guy made for SMU while he was in school was huge. They were a national championship contender. The least they could have done was give him a $18,000 car in exchange for his services that made them millions and made people take notice of SMU.

Some say, "But GP1, they get a full scholarship so they are being compensated." OK, let's go down that road because there is a point of inequity here as well. Are all full scholarships equal? Of course not. It costs $50,000 per year to go to Wake Forest. I don't know what a full scholarship is at tOSU or UofA, but I'm sure it is not $50,000. Should the ncaa make it so that a player can only get the average of all grant in aids? Some at Wake would have to take money out of their pockets to make Wake Forest millions. If your school is below the average, should the players get cash compensation to the average grant in aid level?

What the NCAA does with all of their rules is the same thing the IRS does with the tax code. There are so many tax laws now we have all become law breakers. The NCAA has so many laws that every school has become a rule breaker. Reforming the tax code would allow all of us to more freely have money. Reforming the NCAA to allow for players to get jobs would allow schools to concentrate on important things like winning or getting these kids closer to graduation.

I think I've read enough comments about this not being a big deal, and that nobody got hurt, that it's not a crime, and that it does not create an unfair advantage.

Come on.

The fame that a player obtains from becoming a star at OSWho instead of Akron is already something we have to deal with that creates an unfair advantage. Does someone really want to add the fact that players might also obtain pants that they are free to sell for thousands of dollars? How about the street value of a MAC title ring to the Big 10 title ring? Plus, with no restrictions on employment, we can run the risk of a major donor giving a future star a job that pays a lot of money for doing maybe nothing? And a school like Akron wouldn't be hurt by this during the recruiting process? Do we really want to naively think that kids wouldn't know of these opportunities?

The closer we stay to a college football culture that enforces the idea that these kids are exclusively college students who get a free education to play sports for that school, and can gain nothing more, is the best situation to keep Akron on a level playing field.

Hello GP1 and Merry Chistmas to you. I do agree with skip-zip. The NCAA can never lose sight that these are STUDENT ATHLETES and their reason to be in college. However, they may be able to come up with some "policy" that provides the scholarship athletes the opportunity to get jobs throughout the year. This is something that may be provided through the individual Athletic Departments and their Compliance Departments, to keep the businesses above board(as much as possible). I can still guarantee you that the 10% larger schools will have businesses standing in line to be able to provide these "services/jobs" in exchange for their "perks" and ANOTHER recruiting point the other 90% of athletic program coaches will have to overcome. It is tough enough to recruit in todays current athletic world. Now throw in "We can guarantee you a job paying $XX.00, etc, etc. vs. Mid majors and others who are just trying to survive.

Either they're student athletes, in which case they go to school primarily to learn and make money after they graduate and get a professional job like every student non-athlete, or ditch the concept of student athletes and just allow each school to field a team in a professional college league where there's no pretense of the athletes being students and every school can spend as much as they want attracting the best athletes regardless of their scholastic abilities.

Tressel rumor still just a rumor. Nothing on any of the major sports websites yet as you might expect on a Christmas holiday weekend. But another small sports website quotes either additional information on the two original sources or possibly two new sources that something may be going on.

ftrsports.com

The new rumor in the above article that "the OSU Athletic Department has even more self-reported infractions to deliver to the NCAA" could, if true, be the kicker that brings down Tressel. There is some plausibility to that based on a Tweet from former OSU player Antonio Pittman, who cited violations going back to 2001 and then deleted the Tweet:

sportsbybrooks.com

Tressel rumor still just a rumor. Nothing on any of the major sports websites yet as you might expect on a Christmas holiday weekend. But another small sports website quotes either additional information on the two original sources or possibly two new sources that something may be going on.

ftrsports.com

The new rumor in the above article that "the OSU Athletic Department has even more self-reported infractions to deliver to the NCAA" could, if true, be the kicker that brings down Tressel. There is some plausibility to that based on a Tweet from former OSU player Antonio Pittman, who cited violations going back to 2001 and then deleted the Tweet:

sportsbybrooks.com

From the FTR websire;

For The Record Sports is up to date sports news with a large side of satire. We’re the anti-nerd of sports blogging. We’re simply here to keep readers entertained and laughing. If you’re looking for in-depth analysis of 3-4 defenses and stats on 8th inning pitchers in single A baseball, this is not the site for you. If you’re looking for in-depth coverage of all the ridiculous things athletes do and say, you have found your new home.

When I logged onto the second site, the first thing that happened was my antivirus had to defend an attack on my computer. I guess I'll stay away from that one. :mad_flame:

Rumor started by a scUM fan as an attempt to hurt OSU recruiting. Currently OSU is #2 in recruiting according to Scout.

Why anyone would believe a rumor started by a Chicago blogger is funny.

I find it interesting that EVERY YEAR I hear of OSWho having one of the top couple of recruiting classes. Yet, they aren't winning national titles. Honestly, doesn't that leave you to question your coach? If they are indeed getting the best players, but aren't winning the titles, isn't that a no-brainer to classify that as an "underachieving" situation?

Rumor started by a scUM fan as an attempt to hurt OSU recruiting. Currently OSU is #2 in recruiting according to Scout.

I find it interesting that EVERY YEAR I hear of OSWho having one of the top couple of recruiting classes. Yet, they aren't winning national titles. Honestly, doesn't that leave you to question your coach? If they are indeed getting the best players, but aren't winning the titles, isn't that a no-brainer to classify that as an "underachieving" situation?

You could ask that same question of USC, Texas, Florida, and others They should win them every year if recruiting was all that mattered and the rankings were always accurate..

OSU rarely has the #1-5 class. Usually they are between 5-10.

They are consistent top 5 finishers having appeared in more BCS games than anyone else and has a winning record in BCS games.

You could ask that same question of USC, Texas, Florida, and others They should win them every year if recruiting was all that mattered and the rankings were always accurate..

They are consistent top 5 finishers having appeared in more BCS games than anyone else and has a winning record in BCS games.

... and 0-9 against the SEC, going on 0-10. Despite the delusions of OSU fans, you aren't a big time program in this country, because you can't compete with the BIG TIME conference. Arkansas is maybe the 5th best team in the SEC, and they're going to spank the Suckeyes with no problem. Having double digit wins every year when you play a pattycake OOC and then go play a bunch of other teams in the Big 10 that have no national significance either means nothing. The Suckeyes would be a middle of the road team in the SEC, if that.

... and 0-9 against the SEC, going on 0-10. Despite the delusions of OSU fans, you aren't a big time program in this country, because you can't compete with the BIG TIME conference. Arkansas is maybe the 5th best team in the SEC, and they're going to spank the Suckeyes with no problem. Having double digit wins every year when you play a pattycake OOC and then go play a bunch of other teams in the Big 10 that have no national significance either means nothing. The Suckeyes would be a middle of the road team in the SEC, if that.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm glad you can laugh at your 0-9 record against the SEC like the rest of the country does. Most Suckeye fans get their panties in a wad when you bring it up, it's a real sore subject apparently. I give you props for accepting reality and taking it with a smile :bow: .

Agree 100%. I say this in all seriousness. The Big Ten is not a big time conference. It is the top confernce in the second tier of conferences. It falls somewhere between the PAC10 and the ACC.

Like I said before. Tressel badly needs to win the Sugar Bowl If they lose against Arkansas, they will have once again made fools of themselves.

Lastly in regards to rivals.com, etc. I can't believe anyone takes them seriously.

..... When I logged onto the second site, the first thing that happened was my antivirus had to defend an attack on my computer. I guess I'll stay away from that one. :mad_flame:

I was having some problems with my computer's Java when visiting the Sports by Brooks site. I ended up uninstalling Java, deleting all the old Java files and directories, and downloading the latest Java setup. After that I haven't had any problems. But if anyone is concerned about visiting that site, I'll just post what I find there that might be of interest. That has been one of the leading sites in documenting the Cam Newton situation at Auburn, and it looks like they will also be monitoring the OSU situation pretty closely, as well. Here's the latest from sportsbybrooks.com :

Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith also made clear during a press conference to announce the NCAA penalties that his compliance staff had fell down on the job when it came to making it known to players that they couldn’t sell such items.

“We were not explicit with these young men that you could not resell items that we give you. We began to be more explicit in November 2009.”

On the same day Ohio State and the NCAA claimed OSU player ignorance of the rules, the Buckeye football player with the most tattoos on the team between 2007-09, Thaddeus Gibson, said that Ohio State football players during the time in question were repeatedly (explicitly) informed of the NCAA rule in question.

From a report assembled by Zack Meisel and James Oldham of the OHIO STATE LANTERN last Thursday and published early Friday:

The OSU players in questions are using a common answer, the same answer that Newton used in the midst of his scandal. Basically, they didn’t know they were in the wrong.

While it’s possible that the players are telling the truth, former Buckeye defensive starter and current San Francisco 49er Thaddeus Gibson said that they were told not to sell personal items fairly often. Gibson played for OSU from 2007-09.

“Oh yeah, they (OSU athletic director Gene Smith and the coaches) talked about it a lot,” Gibson said Thursday in a phone interview with The Lantern.

This would appear to contradict what Gene Smith said Thursday, unless those warnings didn’t start occurring until November 2009.

Wednesday I reported that multiple current Ohio State football players had gotten tattoos at the Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor in Columbus. I did not include Gibson at the time of that report because he was not a present member of the team.

That said, while he was a player at Ohio State, Gibson got tattoo work done at the same Fine Line Ink establishment that led to the subsequent suspensions of five current Ohio State players.

Gibson is the second Ohio State player to contradict statements made by Ohio State AD Smith. Also last Thursday, despite Smith assuring the media that the NCAA violations involving the tattoo parlor were “isolated”, former Buckeye Antonio Pittman Tweeted that OSU football players had been getting “hookups” on tattoos “since 2001″.

I'm glad you can laugh at your 0-9 record against the SEC like the rest of the country does. Most Suckeye fans get their panties in a wad when you bring it up, it's a real sore subject apparently. I give you props for accepting reality and taking it with a smile :bow: .

First off, it's not my record. I don't know why anyone would get upset. It's a fact. I am sure these are the same friends you always use to try to make a point. You know, the friends that don't exist.

By the way, OSU is 7-11-2 VS the SEC. Get your facts straight. They are 0-9 in bowl games.

Your "facts" are incorrect.

The thing I find amusing about you and the others that think they can hurt my feelings when they say that stuff is because I don't care what you think. You are absolutely clueless about college football and you have no objectivity. You are consumed with jealousy and hate. Deny it all you want.

I have never come on here and said OSU is the greatest team or anything even close to that. I stated facts.

Fact-OSU has appeared in more BCS games than anyone else.

Fact-OSU has a winning record in those games.

I predicted 3 losses this season. I am surprised at only 1. I have no idea if they will beat Arkansas.

I also find it funny that no matter what you say, you are just showing more SPS. Obviously it makes you feel better to attack OSU non stop. That is why you say Suckeyes, and OSwho. It's a defense mechanism that you use. I admit it , I used to do the same type of thing before I reached puberty.

I find it funny that you just happen to know their record vs the SEC. Do you know everyones record against every other conference or just the one you like to follow and hate?

I love how you have prepared yourself just in case OSU beats Arkansas. You say they are middle of the road in the SEC. Maybe historically they are, but not this season. We go by this season only since this is when they are playing.

Again, if OSU loses you and the others will be on here trying to attack me over it. If OSU wins, you will make an excuse for it and say they were lucky, bla, bla, bla. In case you never noticed, I don't come here after OSU games. I don't rub in a win or care what you have to say about a loss.

Let's face it, if OSU went 12-0 made it to the NC game and won it, you would find a reason to say they were lucky or give some other excuse as to why they won it.

Another poster here mentioned how OSU beat Oregon last year in the Rose bowl only because Kirk Herbstreit made it happen. ROFLMAO. Of course, Oregon was over rated. LOL

Perhaps you guys that are so enamored with the SEC can answer why they rarely if ever travel out of conference to road games. OSU has played USC, Texas, Miami, and have Miami and Colorado both next year.

Since you are so in love with the SEC, you should probably check out most of those teams OOC schedule. You will see it is as weak or weaker than OSU's. Of course that wouldn't fit your agenda.

Keep attacking, you only make yourself look foolish.

As for your buddy GP1. After I correct his BS information and lack of facts he never responds. He is like the big bully that isn't used to anyone standing up to him.

I know, If I don't care why do I make such long posts?

It's because I love pointing out how flawed and ridiculous your posts are.

Happy New Year. I am sure your wish is for OSU to lose every game.

I think you are happier with an OSU loss than a UA win.

Bucknut...the SEC doesnt travel often to the BigTen because they would lose here in the cold in these crappy conditions (that football was meant to be played in). That's a fact.

The Buckeyes and most Big Ten teams are built to play slug it out football in the cold weather in bad conditions, something that they dont play on when they play on perfect bowl fields or at SEC stadiums. The SEC teams are built to play fast football that suits their playing surface (credit to my Dad for enlightening me on that one). Our Zips are built for forfeiting to avoid embarrassment or maybe playing underwater...there is a slight chance that they may be better swimmers.

But people on here DO have an unreal hatred for the NOTC's and it is really starting to get annoying. And yes I will use things like that and "OSwho" because they are our rival and that's what I call teams that I dont like!

Truly though, some people on here are ridiculous with how they are about them. My hatred stems from them being a rival and because i hate the front runners that root for them. I hate the steelers and yankees for the same reasons (among others).