shake up

Ok... time for a shake up here in Akron

Let's start by increasing our spectator sports and getting rid of some others.

Rifle and the 3.6 schollys you are the first to go. I am not sure if these are gender specific schollys (i think they are mens).....but the sport is gone. Mens Track/ CC 12.6 schollys --gone, mens golf 4.5 schollys --gone (your home course is Firestone CC and you are still not even the best program in NE Ohio?) womens golf 6 schollys-- gone.

Now what to do? Well lets get some sports students and the general public can watch....and how about sports that Akron can compete in at a national level. Soccer has worked out well. Obviously title IX and MAC regs tie our hands a bit, but lets look at adding Mens Lacrosse , Womens Lacrosse, and to keep the MAC satisfied Womens field hockey. All 3 can be played right in the middle of campus, are do not necessarily need to be fully funded to be competitive. Both M+W lacrosse are enjoying tremendous growth nationally and locally... field hockey is a throw in as I am sure the MAC has minimum limits on MAC sports needed (and lacrosse is not a MAC sport).

Flame away

• 2 weeks later...

Rifle and the 3.6 schollys you are the first to go. I am not sure if these are gender specific schollys (i think they are mens).....but the sport is gone. Mens Track/ CC 12.6 schollys --gone, mens golf 4.5 schollys --gone (your home course is Firestone CC and you are still not even the best program in NE Ohio?) womens golf 6 schollys-- gone.

Now what to do? Well lets get some sports students and the general public can watch....and how about sports that Akron can compete in at a national level. Soccer has worked out well. Obviously title IX and MAC regs tie our hands a bit, but lets look at adding Mens Lacrosse , Womens Lacrosse, and to keep the MAC satisfied Womens field hockey. All 3 can be played right in the middle of campus, are do not necessarily need to be fully funded to be competitive. Both M+W lacrosse are enjoying tremendous growth nationally and locally... field hockey is a throw in as I am sure the MAC has minimum limits on MAC sports needed (and lacrosse is not a MAC sport).

Flame away

First, Track & Field/Rifle have been doing well nationally from Akron's programs, and I don't see that happening.Golf is on the rise as well. What needs to happen is the MAC needs to stop making some sports like softball and baseball required so that schools can put lacrosse or any other sport missing in place of that...

I agree concerning lacrosse. It's another up-and-coming sport with which Akron could get in on the ground floor & possibly become a national player.

I work with kids & quite a few middle school boys are involved in lacrosse leagues. In fact, a family I know recently made the trip to see the NCAA Lacrosse Final Four. It's also becoming quite popular at the high school level. It's a fun, tough, spectator-friendly sport.

I agree concerning lacrosse. It's another up-and-coming sport with which Akron could get in on the ground floor & possibly become a national player.

I work with kids & quite a few middle school boys are involved in lacrosse leagues. In fact, a family I know recently made the trip to see the NCAA Lacrosse Final Four. It's also becoming quite popular at the high school level. It's a fun, tough, spectator-friendly sport.

Everything that is great about football and soccer rolled into one. 50,000+ showed up for the final 4 and national championship game. And historically good soccer schools do fairly well in the sport, if you catch my drift.

men's and women's table tennis.

the amount of international students we have, we could do very well at it... :D

Back in the 70s, the Buchtelite regularly included coverage of the table tennis team, including match results against BIG name schools across the country and injury reports, until it was discovered a couple of guys were just making the stuff up and sending the reports to the editor.

Back in the 70s, the Buchtelite regularly included coverage of the table tennis team, including match results against BIG name schools across the country and injury reports, until it was discovered a couple of guys were just making the stuff up and sending the reports to the editor.

Did you get in big trouble?

Flame away

My only flame is before you post an idiotic comment like this, get your facts straight.

(Edit): Sorry, my numbers were off, but I still think you're an idiot.

Did you get in big trouble?

Sadly, I was not one of the culprits, but I admire them.

• 3 weeks later...