BJ reports Walther won't get release from Dambrot

InTheZone

ArticleWalther won't get UA releaseBy Tom GaffneyBeacon Journal sportswriterUniversity of Akron coach Keith Dambrot said Saturday that he has decided not to release Bubba Walther from his scholarship with the Zips.Walther, who left the team on Dec. 28, has since transferred to Ohio University.By not being released from his scholarship, Walther must follow NCAA rules and pay his own way for one year. He will be eligible to play for the Bobcats in January of 2007 and can receive a scholarship at that time. He has 2 ½ years of eligibility remaining.Dambrot said he has never not released a player's scholarship in eight years as a head coach, but the circumstances surrounding the transfer warranted it this time. Dambrot said he would not go into details about the decision.``I am fine with him transferring,'' Dambrot said. ``If a guy is not happy, he should transfer. That's all I want to say.''Walther could not be reached for comment.Walther, a 6-foot-4 sophomore swingman, started 14 games last season and averaged 8.8 points en route to making the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team.He started 3-of-8 games and averaged 8.9 points this season.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To think that Ohio committed violations to get Walther is out of line. I know for a fact that we followed proper protocol and that it was all done in a legal fashion. Coach O'Shea didn't even speak with Walther until he was enrolled here. It's ashame that Coach Dambrot won't let him out of his scholarship, but that't life....BUBBA WOULD RATHER PAY TO GO TO OHIO THAN ATTEND AKRON FOR FREE! :rock:Looking forward to beating you guys on Tuesday and proving once and for all who's boss! :gun:

Not saying that there is or there isn't violations from OU but there are some key points in your post my Bobkitten friend.#1- You mention that Coach O'Shea never talked to Walther, well thats all fine and dandy if Coach O'Shea is the only person on your basketball staff. While Coach O'Shea wasn't talking to him, was someone else on the staff talking? #2- Umm, didn't we beat, wait, humiliate you guys twice last year? Once in your own house? Aren't both teams returning most if not all of their key players from last season? #3- Concerning Bubba, you can have him. Quite frankly, I would rather see him pay to go to OU than see him on scholarship here.

The best thing tht has happened to Akron this season was having Bubba depart. A one-dimensional player at best. As an Ohio taxpayer I am also glad that I will not have to contribute to his education for the next 12 monhts. From what I had heard he was not a real top-flight student, which may be one of the reasons he had to leave Akron. OAt Ohio he can major in Taxidermy or maybe even work towards his advanced CDL.

To think that Ohio committed violations to get Walther is out of line.  I know for a fact that we followed proper protocol and that it was all done in a legal fashion.  Coach O'Shea didn't even speak with Walther until he was enrolled here.  It's ashame that Coach Dambrot won't let him out of his scholarship, but that't life....BUBBA WOULD RATHER PAY TO GO TO OHIO THAN ATTEND AKRON FOR FREE!  :rock:Looking forward to beating you guys on Tuesday and proving once and for all who's boss!  :gun:
I think i would rather walk-on at OU where the talent is not as good and get a chance to play rather than keeping my scholarhsip where everyone is so much better than me. What part of that doesn't make sense to you?I think we came in yo your house last year by embarrassing you by 20 points! Here to another W on Tuesday! Are you just upset that the Zips haven't lost in the MAC yet and beat the team you lost to by 13? Are you trying to get your scared emotions out on an opinion based message board? You're lucky you have 9 lives as cats because you are all already on your fourth as the last four times we have faced you on the gridiron and the court we have embarrassed you all four times! WE OWN YOU!football :macc: and soon to be men's bball :macc:

January 19, 2006Walther, OU in trouble?Men's basketballAn inside source told me there is much more to the Bubba Walther situation than what has been reported. In the events leading up to his transfer, a major NCAA violation -- one of Troy Smith, Chris Webber proportions -- may have happened between Ohio University and Walther.Walther was an All-MAC First Team selection last year. It was initially assumed that Walther transferred to Ohio because of a lack of playing time. A Buchtelite story that will come out later this month will report Walther's "real" reason, as he tells it.As I mentioned earlier, Walther had some not-so-kind things to say about coach Keith Dambrot to the Buchtelite's Mike Hixenbaugh.
i wouldn't believe anything this guy says. i've actually heard that he was released then i heard that he wasn't. still, to be using the buctelite or anything that was written by a buchtelite staffer as a source of information is a real bad idea. hixenbaugh can spin a story six ways to sunday and some of the stuff written in the paper are nothing but flat out lies. anyways, i think we should let walther go. by the time he can play for the he'll probably be ineligible because of grades.

ZippyRifle32,You wouldn't happen to be the same rifle team member who I tore apart in a column because you demanded to be covered as much as the football team, would you?I am a professional journalist. I am ethical. I expect an apology as soon as this story is published. You have been called out for your grudge.You said we should just "let Walther go." Do you realize he's going to a division rival who may have taken him unethically? I'm surprised the university isn't doing more -- such as reporting this information to the NCAA. But who knows? Maybe they will.blogs.ohio.com/rasoredit: I'd like to add that Mike Hixenbaugh is a future star sports journalist. Any college paper would love to get its hands on him.

to be using the buctelite or anything that was written by a buchtelite staffer as a source of information is a real bad idea. hixenbaugh can spin a story six ways to sunday and some of the stuff written in the paper are nothing but flat out lies.
I hate to be rude, so I won't be.I'm just curious (you know, I'm connecting with my paper's readers and/or haters), would you mind telling me a specific article where you think Hixenbaugh spun something "six ways to Sunday?"Maybe you're a little bias because we decided to not cover the rifle team, partially because a rifle team member threatened to furiously burn "every copy of the Buchtelite I can get my hands on."

ZipsRifle,You wouldn't happen to be the same rifle team member who I tore apart in a column because you demanded to be covered as much as the football team, would you?
:laugh_up: hardley, i'm the same person on that team that said it wasn't right to ignore the number one soccer team in the country. funny enough, after i did a little complaining everything i complained about changed :blink:. besides your column showed how little you actually knew about my sport :rolleyes:, but that's ok most people don't. oh and dan, the buchtelite is a great way to get a campfire started anyways back to the topic of this forum... i think we're better off without him even if he goes to a division rival because if he doesn't want to be here we don't need someone bringing down our team. our guys have the chance of a lifetime. i really think they could take the mac title and go to the ncaa's. if bubba was forced to stay his attitude could negatively affect his teammates. look at the nba and all the ego that coaches and teams have to put up with. i know bubba and i'm not saying he's like that, but why take the chance. now with so many people talking about this supposed ncaa violation, it should be investigated and ohio should be cited if found guilty. but if it was just in your "newspaper" i'd ignore the whole thing.

I hate to respond to your attention-seeking post again. However, I must clear up some more inaccuracies.1) We covered the heck out of the soccer team from day one. We had at least one soccer story per week. Once the team achieved national ranking, we went all out on several occasions. Go to the library and look for yourself.2) I never showed a lack of knowledge about rifle in my column. I only used you as an example to make a point about story selection in our newspaper. Read it by going to this site: http://www.buchtelite.com/2005/1122/sports_05.shtml.3) Nobody wants Bubba Walther back on the team. The issue is whether to release him from his scholarship.MODERATOR EDIT: Personal Info deletedSorry to the great members of this site who had to see this childish argument.blogs.ohio.com/rasor

I've read some of this dyke's rantings over on the buchtelite website. She's pathetic, not to mention obsessive and borderline stalkerish. No offense to Zipsrifle, a great poster around here and great university fan, but football and men's basketball are the only sports that really matter to most fans, administrators, and the student body. If the Buchtelite started wasting newspaper space on covering rifle matches they really would start ending up in campfires or for toilet paper over in Bierce after they forget to restock just about every day. So just shut the hell up and get off the site. From what I've read online the Buchtelite, Hixenbaugh, Kadar, and Rasor are all doing an outstanding job and are some of the sharpest student journalists in the country.

yeah mike, go ahead and use my name cause that big picture of me in my siggy didn't give it away :rolleyes:since you guys want to keep going off topic i guees i'll just join you. you always seemed to make the mistake that i just wanted rifle posted. i don't give a shit about some front page article on us. whatever. what i have been saying is that in the sports brief section (the little paragraphs that sum up ua athletics) should have results for every athletic event. and while basketball and football are the big two (although soccer has finally gain the respect they deserved), akron has 14 different sports and it would be nice to see something on everyone at least once including the smaller sports such as golf or tennis. you've already made it clear that you don't want to cover that.

I never showed a lack of knowledge about rifle in my column
please...in that column you "ripped" me up in, it definately showed with the line "Rifle ranks up there with billiards and bowling as far as athleticism is concerned." i admit that i don't know much about billiards or bowling except perhaps we share a similar mental game.
Stephanie, I find your behavior unacceptable as a representative of Zips athletics.
i also like how you tie my personal opinions to me representing athletics, yet anything that you say you proudly point to the disclaimer on the editorial section. pathetic.me obsessive? i just don't like settling for mediocracy in any form, but i've stopped expecting greatness from the buchtelite a while ago...

At Ohio he can major in Taxidermy or maybe even work towards his advanced CDL.
That would be Hocking College, just north in Nelsonville. I see they don't teach Ohio geography up there in Crack'ron. Or you don't get out much.Plus Razor:"I am a professional journalist. I am ethical." HA! :laugh_up: Blogging about a story that hasn't come out yet and also baiting a story with potentially huge ramifications may not be ethical by some people’s standards. And most likely not professional by any means. I just hope that you guys up there are triple checking your sources up there and doing responsible journalism for this piece you have hyped up.Now I have to say I have only read The Buchtelite a couple times (You guys are in session shouldn't there be a new edition out by now?) so I'm no expert, but...InTheZone: "From what I've read online the Buchtelite, Hixenbaugh, Kadar, and Rasor are all doing an outstanding job and are some of the sharpest student journalists in the country."Do you read alot of other student newspapers around the country? Can these journalists (or "journalists" like Razor) back up your statements with awards? Can your School of Journalism back up your statements?And I don't know if your posting is typical of members of this board, but I don't think zippyrifle deserves the very degrading insults you made about her. You are not showing much class.We will see how Round One goes tonight PouchyNation... Best of luck to ya! I think you'll need it.

Do you read alot of other student newspapers around the country? Can these journalists (or "journalists" like Razor) back up your statements with awards? Can your School of Journalism back up your statements?
Doubtful. There are only three schools with accredited journalism programs in the state. All of them are in the MAC, but Akron is not one of them.