WMU Game

Quickzips

Feeling a little under the weather tonight so I decided not to make the walk over to the JAR tonight. Listening to Frenchie and Dunn on the radio though. Zips came out a little flat and were just content to tie it up for a while before pulling away to a 40-25 lead at the half. Western going inside on us and getting a lot of good shots and drawing a few fouls but the zips are red hot from three point land. Futch is out with a sore foot from the Can't game but x-rays are negative for any fractures. Milum, Peterson and even Ryback getting some more minutes. Sounds like KD is wanting to give some of the guys a bit of a rest. Zips playing good bball. Hopefully we don't go into lockdown mode again in the second half.

i had to leave right before half time for a saac meeting, but i was a little worried because they only had like an 10 point lead (when i left) and they've been a little weak in the second half. as soon as i got out of the field house i rushed back over to catch the end of the game, but by then everyone was coming out. so i guess it wasn't even close. good game zips! keep adding em up in the "w" column!

Another quiet, methodical beatdown by the Zips.Linhart returned to form. You could tell once he made that big steal in the first half his face lit up...it was like a light switch was turned on and his confidence returned.Preston was OUTSTANDING in Futch's absense. No qualms with Joe Dunn's accolades tonight. Big Country deserved everything he got.I liked Rob's postgame comment regarding the loss to K-ent: "We got over it on Monday...man, that Monday practice was brutal!"Whoa, has Rybek lost it or what? I wish he had gotten a little more PT at game's end to get his confidence up. His three's are barely drawing iron.The "airball" chant whenever Snider touched the ball seemed to work? He was uncharacteristically terrible from the field. AK-Rowdies continue to impress.Matt Newhouse has a career as a game show host in his future. Commentary is great during the promos!The AK-Rowdie won 52 cases of pop??!! Holy Hell...he'll have "Marshall teeth!" Every dentist in the audience cringed! BTW: Anyone remember the pop give-a-aways 6 or so years ago. You had to make something like 7 shots in a row to win a freaking 6-pack! I didn't think Romeo played all that great, but he filled up the stat sheet...so I'll shut up.Quade can be a frustrating guy to watch sometimes, but we need him to improve and contribute in the low post at some point. The 19 minutes he got tonight hopefully helps make him a bit more game-ready. He played some useful minutes this evening.I wish K-ent defended like WMU did tonight. We picked WMU apart. Again, it was methodical. We're up 6...then look up at the scoreboard and all of the sudden we're up 18??!!I was disappointed to hear KD's post game commentary regarding the attendance. Obviously he reads this board. I am sure everyone on this board is tired of my Beacon rants, but I feel compelled to say the following:1.) EVERYONE on this board realizes the importance of the Beacon Journal's support with regards to Zips attendance. Myself included. Many here are frustrated with the lack of quality coverage, but no one denies it's importance and potential.2.) NO ONE on this board puts the blame for the Zips poor attendance solely on The Beacon. But to deny is is a contributor is taking all of us for fools. 3.) EVERYONE on this board realizes the Zips are playing some unbelieveable basketball this season. Some are frustrated that we're 0-3 vs K-ent recently, but KD - you should be happy about that...it shows people care about the rivalry, dammit!4.) We will sell out the OU and Can't games. That means in two weeks this whole attendance issue will be nul and void. Bank on that. 5.) If we proceed to the MAC finals at The Q, like we expect, you will see at least 10,000 Akron fans packing the joint. The final nail in the coffin regarding attendance will be dealt.6.) Next season, with the new recruits, plus Wood and Conyers, we will be much improved. We should also have the backing of a great season with a post-season NCAA/NIT appearance to legitimize the program's arrival. Next year the expectations and the sellouts will come. Bank on it.KD - Keep plugging away. I know it is frustrating. You have 17 wins in early February and it appears no one cares. Ride it out two more weeks. You will be drawing fans like flies to Portage County. You are sooo close. Finish strong and there will be a Motor City Bowl-esque love affair with Zips basketball within a couple weeks. Bank on it.Tom Gaffney - There's your answer.

The only good thing i saw tonight was the W we added to our list !Other than that, call me pessimistic but i was not happy and here is why:1-The fan turnout was horrible and even the ak-rowdies seats were not full. and before you start telling me about the weather, for gods sake basketball is played indoors so don't tell me you couldn't walk/drive there. 2-Even the fans who were there, it seemed like they were watching a movie. They were barely clapping their hands. In the second half, i decided to go to the GA section to cheer a bit, thinking that i might provide a spark but people looked at me like: "shut up and let us go back to sleep".Now about the team !3-We were winning by 20 in the second half and i was hoping that KD will give a blow to the 3 guards and give the others a chance to showcase their skills. Surprisingly, Mraz didn't get any second and Sowers and Goddard were checked in at the 1:01 mark.I admit that i haven't seen those guys playing much but whenever i saw Sowers he was awesome 100% 3FG (5/5) for 15 points, no turnovers and no messing up. So everytime i hear talks about our guards getting tired etc... i wonder why doesn't he get some pt ? any ideas ?

Yep 20 by the second half. Dials and Joyce look like they are dieing out there and you put in the guards with 1:00 left. Goddard and Sowers really did terrible out there didn't they? And didn't you see Mraz when KD tried to put him in? Thanks but no thanks coach with 1 minute left, I think I will pass. I give him credit!

i was hoping that KD will give a blow to the 3 guards and give the others a chance to showcase their skills. Surprisingly, Mraz didn't get any second and Sowers and Goddard were checked in at the 1:01 mark.
I am friends with one of the players on the team. I also asked why Chad didn't go in when the rest of them did. He told me that when KD was putting those guys in, he told Chad to go in and HE SAID NO!!!! I couldn't believe it! Wouldn't you want to fight for every minute and prove yourself every chance you get?????

Any player that tells a coach NO should get his sorry ass kicked off the team. Period, end of discussion. If the guy does not like his role as a human victory cigar maybe he should not have transferred from Geneva.I find it odd that Zip basketball fans are bitching when the team when by more than 20 points over another MAC team. If the team were as "unified" as the fan base it would be like a Hipsher coached team - a loser.Great job coaches and players, way not to have a let down as the POS bunch from Can't State and keep going strong into EMU on Saturday.

I admit that i haven't seen those guys playing much but whenever i saw Sowers he was awesome 100% 3FG (5/5) for 15 points, no turnovers and no messing up. So everytime i hear talks about our guards getting tired etc... i wonder why doesn't he get some pt ? any ideas ?
I agree 100%. I would LOVE to see Sowers get a little more PT.He seems like he has some skills. I know there are many more things that go into getting PT and it is a tough thing to administer,but as a fan, I sure would like to see him get in on some games.

Sorry to break it to you, but beating Western by 20 points at home is not saying much. They are a young team that needs to grow.We'll show you some real competition in Oxford if you guys are up for it.
Pink Steve: Who have you beaten by 20? You guys barely put up 20 points in a half, let alone beat someone by 20. :lol: It typically takes Miami double overtime to hit 40 points! :lol: Enjoy another 18 win season in the post-Wally era. He's the Lee Owens of MAC hoops.