Of the supposed "finalists"... Who's your choice

InTheZone

Head Coach  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still stumped as to what Winters have ever done that anyone here thinks he would be a good HC.

He has coached in the little league and has a slightly above record. So he is having a good season this year.

He has done nothing.

What did Brian Kelly do? Took over a successful Lakers program and continued to win, whoopity-do. That got him the CMU job, where he took a team that had been down for 7 seasons and righted the ship. Kelly's record at CMU 19-16 in three seasons, one of those being 10-4 so 9-12 the two years prior? But people consider him a little more than a good coach.

Winters has a slightly above average record? He took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in a decade and hadn't had significant success since 1975. They didn't even have all 38 scholarships given out nor people willing to take them when he got there. It's funny some of you on here are "what have you done for me lately" type people yet you dismiss his current success to focus on the very early part of his career there. He took a kid that should have had talent (Joe Long, Jake Long's brother) and made him work so that he could actually show that talent. He will likely have 3 people in the NFL when everything is said done, from a D-2 school. He knows how to develop talent, he was a successful OC in the MAC. What do you people have against him?

I am still stumped as to what Winters have ever done that anyone here thinks he would be a good HC.

He has coached in the little league and has a slightly above record. So he is having a good season this year.

He has done nothing.

Au contraire. He's somehow managed to get Buckzip and skip-zip to wholeheartedly agree on something. That's worthy of a Nobel Peace prize nomination :rofl:

He has done nothing.

Au contraire. He's somehow managed to get Buckzip and skip-zip to wholeheartedly agree on something. That's worthy of a Nobel Peace prize nomination :rofl:

Ha Ha !! I knew someone would notice that.

But, I don't feel like he's done nothing. I just don't see any way I'd move the guy up two divisions. And I don't see any other activity out there in coaching searches that would make me feel any differently. Most Zips fans I know personally agree as well.

That's fine that some people like him. I see a lot of emotion in those who support him, which I think is clouding some people's thoughts. I wouldn't even consider picking him to coach our football team.

He has done nothing.

When Tressell was named the OSU head coach, I knew plenty of people who had the same "little league" complaint about him.

Your comment about Winters having just a "slightly above" average record was the same thing I heard when OSU hired Earle Bruce. Earle's over-all record was just a bit above .500 when he was hired, but that was because he had taken over two losing programs and it took him a few years to build them into winners.

What has Paul Winters done that would make anyone believe he would be a good coach? Just took a crappy program and made it steadily better, and now has it among the best in its class. That sounds like a good coach to me. Someone who gets the most out of his players.

Bob Huggins was a only coach in the basketball "little leagues" before Akron took a chance on him. Of course, so was Hipsher. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

@skip-zip, forget about D2 coaches for a minute.

What would you think of an experienced D1A (FBS) offensive coordinator who ran an offense that ranked 7th nationally in passing offense (311.3 yards per game), 9th nationally in total offense (470.2 ypg) and 11th nationally in scoring offense (36.2 ppg)?

What if that OC was so good that he was twice nominated for the Broyles Award, a national honor recognizing the nation’s top D1A assistant coach?

What if he had accomplished all that at a school with no history of winning in D1A?

Now, would you hold it against that successful D1A OC if he went to D2 to get head coaching experience and had the same success with a D2 school that previously had no history of winning?

At some point you probably caught on that the person being described is Paul Winters, a man who has accomplished much more in his long career than just taking a perennial loser D2 team into the national championship game as a head coach.

The man has a long body of work that deserves to be considered alongside all the other candidates' bodies of work.

Toss out the D2 work if you think it's irrelevant. Compare only his D1A accomplishments to the D1A accomplishments of other candidates who have no college head coaching experience at any level and whose D1A assistant and coordinator successes have been largely accomplished at schools with much stronger football programs than UA.

No emotion here. Just the facts.

I voted for Stoops as well. My reasons are as follows...

1. Name recognition. Not only is this helpful in landing recruits, it also gains fan interest and creates a buzz (ticket sales)

2. The name recognition will also help in bringing in a higher quality coaching staff.

3. He has a heck of a nice resume and success at every job.

4. He is a good recruiter and his NE Ohio ties and big name will help.

5. It is fairly easy to put up points in the MAC. He is a defensive guru and it is one thing that we have never had at Akron....a good defense.

We have no shot at getting him, but he is my #1 choice.

I voted for Stoops as well. My reasons are as follows...

1. Name recognition. Not only is this helpful in landing recruits, it also gains fan interest and creates a buzz (ticket sales)

2. The name recognition will also help in bringing in a higher quality coaching staff.

3. He has a heck of a nice resume and success at every job.

4. He is a good recruiter and his NE Ohio ties and big name will help.

5. It is fairly easy to put up points in the MAC. He is a defensive guru and it is one thing that we have never had at Akron....a good defense.

We have no shot at getting him, but he is my #1 choice.

I must agree. I do not believe he would stoop so low as to take the Akron position.

He has done nothing.

What did Brian Kelly do? Took over a successful Lakers program and continued to win, whoopity-do. That got him the CMU job, where he took a team that had been down for 7 seasons and righted the ship. Kelly's record at CMU 19-16 in three seasons, one of those being 10-4 so 9-12 the two years prior? But people consider him a little more than a good coach.

Winters has a slightly above average record? He took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in a decade and hadn't had significant success since 1975. They didn't even have all 38 scholarships given out nor people willing to take them when he got there. It's funny some of you on here are "what have you done for me lately" type people yet you dismiss his current success to focus on the very early part of his career there. He took a kid that should have had talent (Joe Long, Jake Long's brother) and made him work so that he could actually show that talent. He will likely have 3 people in the NFL when everything is said done, from a D-2 school. He knows how to develop talent, he was a successful OC in the MAC. What do you people have against him?

So because Brian Kelley made it that now means that all D2 coaches are future ND coaches?

Give me a break.

That logic makes no sense.

He has done nothing.

Oh crap. I give. Hire Winters...... :D

He has done nothing.

When Tressell was named the OSU head coach, I knew plenty of people who had the same "little league" complaint about him.

Your comment about Winters having just a "slightly above" average record was the same thing I heard when OSU hired Earle Bruce. Earle's over-all record was just a bit above .500 when he was hired, but that was because he had taken over two losing programs and it took him a few years to build them into winners.

What has Paul Winters done that would make anyone believe he would be a good coach? Just took a crappy program and made it steadily better, and now has it among the best in its class. That sounds like a good coach to me. Someone who gets the most out of his players.

Bob Huggins was a only coach in the basketball "little leagues" before Akron took a chance on him. Of course, so was Hipsher. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Apples and Oranges.

Earl Bruce was known as 8-3 Earl. That is great by Akron standards but got him fired where he was.

Tressel had won multiple NC at YSU. He was being courted for other big jobs before OSU. He was offered the Miami, Fl job a couple years earlier and turned it down and they hired Coker.

Geez, we want to get Akron football on the map and the best you guys can come up with is a D2 coach that improved a lousy team. To this day, he has still won absolutely nothing.

If he was such a great coach, you would be r eading other schools, even D1aa courting him. But you aren't.

This isn't really worth arguing about. We all have our own opinions. Perhaps we will bring this up in a few years when Akron has improved all the way to 4-8 and maybe even 6-6. After all, that is improvement.

I don't know about you all, but I want to win championships and leave the MAC. I think some of you are just happy to get to 500. I know we have to start somewhere, but I would like to start with a proven coach.

He has done nothing.

Ha Ha !! I knew someone would notice that.

But, I don't feel like he's done nothing. I just don't see any way I'd move the guy up two divisions. And I don't see any other activity out there in coaching searches that would make me feel any differently. Most Zips fans I know personally agree as well.

That's fine that some people like him. I see a lot of emotion in those who support him, which I think is clouding some people's thoughts. I wouldn't even consider picking him to coach our football team.

How's about this for injecting a little logic into this conversation then? UA is, at this point in time, the worst coaching job in the country at the FBS level. The only positive is facilities. All else is objectively negative. The pay is marginal, the team is not talented, there are practically no recruits for next year, there is an abysmal tradition of losing only worsened recently by The Grim Reaper, no fan support outside of a few hundred intrepid souls on this board. If anything, my worry is whether Winters will take the job, not whether he's good enough for the job. To turn the question on its head, why would any prospective candidate want the job? It's a coach killer. For me, Winters is the most likely to really know what he's up against here and to be able to do what it takes to recruit, run a good MAC offense, appeal to the Akron fans and move the program forward.

Stoops. Yeah a name guy. Because of his brother. Some of you discount the job Winters has done at WSU, but want the total failure that is Mike Stoops? Overall record of 41-49. Best season was 8-5. A guy that was such an unacceptable train wreck that he was fired mid-season. Yeah. Let's get him.

aw-hell-naw.jpg

Another reason I like the idea of Winters is that as a true local high school football product, I believe he will recruit locally much more effectively than recent coaches here. Can you IMAGINE the reaction that coaches and players at Buchtel must have had to Ianello? It makes me shudder that he's considered a recruiter. Now picture Winters, a local guy done good, meeting with local coaches who remember him from days of old, and tell me that he won't be very effective in recruiting in NE Ohio. It's also a very comparable sales job to the one he will be coming from, in that he had to recruit kids to an inner city campus that had zero history/tradition of winning, and from what I've read, has done very well at finding good players there. The recruiting angle is a major part of why I'd like to see him here.

Stoops. Yeah a name guy. Because of his brother. Some of you discount the job Winters has done at WSU, but want the total failure that is Mike Stoops? Overall record of 41-49. Best season was 8-5. A guy that was such an unacceptable train wreck that he was fired mid-season. Yeah. Let's get him.

aw-hell-naw.jpg

+1 But I think they are referring to another Stoops. Mark

Did you take that picture while Obama was vacationing in Ashland??

Another reason I like the idea of Winters is that as a true local high school football product, I believe he will recruit locally much more effectively than recent coaches here. Can you IMAGINE the reaction that coaches and players at Buchtel must have had to Ianello? It makes me shudder that he's considered a recruiter. Now picture Winters, a local guy done good, meeting with local coaches who remember him from days of old, and tell me that he won't be very effective in recruiting in NE Ohio. It's also a very comparable sales job to the one he will be coming from, in that he had to recruit kids to an inner city campus that had zero history/tradition of winning, and from what I've read, has done very well at finding good players there. The recruiting angle is a major part of why I'd like to see him here.

So let me get this right...because Winters is black he will recruit better? That is what I am getting out of your response.

aw-hell-naw.jpg

+1 But I think they are referring to another Stoops. Mark

Did you take that picture while Obama was vacationing in Ashland??

I was referring to Mark, not Mike Stoops.