Head Coach Poll

afootball

Head Coach Poll  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pretty good resume for such a young coach, has coached at:

Michigan - QB Coach

Central Michigan - QB Coach

Detroit Lions - QB Coach

Florida - QB Coach

Temple - OC/QB Coach

Just saying not a bad resume and he has recruited Ohio for some time now. Looks like he would probably have a pretty good staff with some of the schools he has coached previously.

Michigan - QB Coach

Detroit Lions - QB Coach

Florida - QB Coach

Temple - OC/QB Coach

Just saying not a bad resume and he has recruited Ohio for some time now. Looks like he would probably have a pretty good staff with some of the schools he has coached previously.

So he's only had one year as a coordinator (and thus only one year managing a staff of assistants) and he has never called plays, ever, because Temple's HC calls the offense. Yeah, that's the kind of guy we need. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you noticed, but Temple's quarterback was not very good. Before that, he had Tebow to work with and that would make you look pretty good no matter how your coaching skills are.

Temple was rated 117th in the nation in passing yards. Akron was 105th. Without Bernard Pierce (who this guy inherited from the previous coach) carrying the team, they would have been worse on offense than we were.

Michigan - QB Coach

Detroit Lions - QB Coach

Florida - QB Coach

Temple - OC/QB Coach

So he's only had one year as a coordinator (and thus only one year managing a staff of assistants) and he has never called plays, ever, because Temple's HC calls the offense. Yeah, that's the kind of guy we need. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you noticed, but Temple's quarterback was not very good. Before that, he had Tebow to work with and that would make you look pretty good no matter how your coaching skills are.

Temple was rated 117th in the nation in passing yards. Akron was 105th. Without Bernard Pierce (who this guy inherited from the previous coach) carrying the team, they would have been worse on offense than we were.

Um.....no

Re: Paul Winters Doesn’t Want to Win at Akron:

(have you read any other posts?)

Winning and dynasty are not the goals; he’ll have to settle for DOMINANCE. I recall seeing that word once on Zip Nation since this frenzy began (and after further review, not in a good way.) Paul will be relentless until his Zips are the dominant force in whatever conference they play. No other coach will ever out-work or out-prepare Coach Winters, it simply will not happen in his lifetime as a coach, it’s inconceivable.

Secondly: Paul has never left NE Ohio. Do you believe in your wildest dreams any of the coaches for whom he worked pulled him off his turf? That didn’t happen.

I have no clue if Paul will get the call from The University of Akron, but I do know nobody would do it better.

Michigan - QB Coach

Detroit Lions - QB Coach

Florida - QB Coach

Temple - OC/QB Coach

This sounds like the same thinking that got us Ianello. A positions coach at named locations. Names mean nothing. The ability to coach up talent does. Give me an FCS or DII coach.

a 500 record Overall and below 500 in conference record is not dominance and quite frankly isn't winning either. So if we want dominance hire someone who can bring it.....................

Taking an overall record is the same as taking a company's balance sheet for the past 10 years. It quite possibly could equal zero or negative. That doesn't mean the company isn't performing well or making a profit for most of those years.

The guy took over a program that had seen two winning seasons in 25 years, and has lead them to 4 winning seasons in the past 7. He took a team that had never been in the D-II playoffs and coached them to the championship game, going on the road beating teams that just don't lose at home.

a 500 record Overall and below 500 in conference record is not dominance and quite frankly isn't winning either. So if we want dominance hire someone who can bring it.....................

Whomever coaches the Zips for the next 4 seasons will not have a +.500 overall winning percentage after those 4 seasons conclude.

If that coach goes 8-4 in year #4, yet has an overall winning percentage of .445, does that mean he sucks?

Whomever coaches the Zips for the next 4 seasons will not have a +.500 overall winning percentage after those 4 seasons conclude.

If that coach goes 8-4 in year #4, yet has an overall winning percentage of .445, does that mean he sucks?

+1,000

Regardless of WINS at this point, I think UA fans are looking for a coach and team that can simply "compete" on Saturdays, and pull off the occasional upset. What TW's protoge, Ianello, brought us was two full years of embarrassing, boring, non-competitive blowouts. Between the Zips on Saturday and the Browns on Sunday, we've wasted more time suffering through ridiculously-unwatchable football than should be permitted by law.

Taking an overall record is the same as taking a company's balance sheet for the past 10 years. It quite possibly could equal zero or negative. That doesn't mean the company isn't performing well or making a profit for most of those years.

The guy took over a program that had seen two winning seasons in 25 years, and has lead them to 4 winning seasons in the past 7. He took a team that had never been in the D-II playoffs and coached them to the championship game, going on the road beating teams that just don't lose at home.

If you are making a profit with zero or negative assets, you are doing one hell of a job, but odds are the IRS (or some other authority) is keeping an eye on you.

If you are making a profit with zero or negative assets, you are doing one hell of a job, but odds are the IRS (or some other authority) is keeping an eye on you.

Oh Meister...

If you see a Million dollar loss in year one (as expected in most new or rebuilding businesses) and see profit of a one hundred thousand each of the next 9, you are still 100 grand in the hole. Ask Ford about my example, or Apple.

Regardless of WINS at this point, I think UA fans are looking for a coach and team that can simply "compete" on Saturdays, and pull off the occasional upset. What TW's protoge, Ianello, brought us was two full years of embarrassing, boring, non-competitive blowouts. Between the Zips on Saturday and the Browns on Sunday, we've wasted more time suffering through ridiculously-unwatchable football than should be permitted by law.

No, we are looking for a team that wins. I want a team that odds are they are going to win on Saturday. I think anyone that wants less than that should have been mad that Brookhart got fired. "Compete" isn't what we are looking for, "compete" means we are happy with a 3 point loss. No, I for one want to WIN!!!!

No, we are looking for a team that wins. I want a team that odds are they are going to win on Saturday. I think anyone that wants less than that should have been mad that Brookhart got fired. "Compete" isn't what we are looking for, "compete" means we are happy with a 3 point loss. No, I for one want to WIN!!!!

No doubt, I want wins, too. But the Wistrcill/Ianello Team brought about such regression, just basic "competing" will be a huge step forward. Tragic as it is.

Oh Meister...

If you see a Million dollar loss in year one (as expected in most new or rebuilding businesses) and see profit of a one hundred thousand each of the next 9, you are still 100 grand in the hole. Ask Ford about my example, or Apple.

Somebody didn't get zipmeisters joke :lol:

No doubt, I want wins, too. But the Wistrcill/Ianello Team brought about such regression, just basic "competing" will be a huge step forward. Tragic as it is.

Something blew up in the program during the Miami game. I have no idea what, but the whole attitude around the team changed the week following CMU.

But you could tell there was a loss of faith in the coaching from the players. Maybe GP1 is right and the whole lot of them should be giving walking orders, but the right coach can come in here and get wins right away. I'm not saying championships (we don't have that kind of talent on the team just yet) but no reason these guys cant win 6 games considering the conference we play in.

Who would you say was the better coach... A guy who went 5 years of 9-3 at Minnesota or a guy who went 9-3 at OSU?? Perspective...not much here today.

Something blew up in the program during the Miami game. I have no idea what, but the whole attitude around the team changed the week following CMU.

But you could tell there was a loss of faith in the coaching from the players. Maybe GP1 is right and the whole lot of them should be giving walking orders, but the right coach can come in here and get wins right away. I'm not saying championships (we don't have that kind of talent on the team just yet) but no reason these guys cant win 6 games considering the conference we play in.

It would be nice if they would win 6. That would be an 6-4 record not including the "pay for beating" games. I think we should expect to win 3 games and keep expectations realistic. As it is...the new HC must find lots of competent OL and DL to even be competitive. Plus...I think the MA is on the upswing. We will ge a better feel after this year's bowl games.