Two Types of Winning

GP1

There are two types of winning in college football.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

We have just hired a guy who won 75% of his games at category #2, at a school on probation for part of the time. The league is absolutely brutal. This guy is a real winner. Do you guys know who else wins in the SEC? Nick Saban...Les Miles...Steve Spurrier. Recognize these names? We have a coach who did what these guys did/do.

I hope everyone understands what a great hire this guy is. Of the available talent on the market right now, this guy is the only one who has done it at category #2.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

We have just hired a guy who won 75% of his games at category #2, at a school on probation for part of the time. The league is absolutely brutal. This guy is a real winner. Do you guys know who else wins in the SEC? Nick Saban...Les Miles...Steve Spurrier. Recognize these names? We have a coach who did what these guys did/do.

I hope everyone understands what a great hire this guy is. Of the available talent on the market right now, this guy is the only one who has done it at category #2.

Pardon my ignorance, but was the SEC as prominent in the 90's as they are today?

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Pardon my ignorance, but was the SEC as prominent in the 90's as they are today?

No. The SEC has won the last five national championships and is about to make it six in a row. It was still the best conference in the country at the time though.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Tennessee, Florida and Alabama won national titles in the 90s and Auburn went undefeated but was on probation. Not bad, I guess. :)

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Tennessee, Florida and Alabama won national titles in the 90s and Auburn went undefeated but was on probation. Not bad, I guess. :)

Many polling services gave Auburn the National Title for the 11-0 season. Just not the official AP/Coaches Title or whatever the banner was called back then.

How many Portage County fans had a real "Oh Shit!" moment when they heard who the Zips hired?

I went to their board last night. They were making comments about his partying and womanizing and saying how that was okay for a college student, but not for the head football coach. Although the points are well taken, there is no proof that Bowden ever did these things. If it is true, it was almost 20 years ago. Funny that this is the only thing that the Can't losers can come up with.

How many Portage County fans had a real "Oh Shit!" moment when they heard who the Zips hired?

I went to their board last night. They were making comments about his partying and womanizing and saying how that was okay for a college student, but not for the head football coach. Although the points are well taken, there is no proof that Bowden ever did these things. If it is true, it was almost 20 years ago. Funny that this is the only thing that the Can't losers can come up with.

they're just upset that the days are numbered until the wagon wheel is out of their possession! :screwks: funny how Can't State fans can only leech onto decade old unsubstantiated rumors to prove that we still suck... sucks to suck!

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

All of which makes it even more mind-boggling that our crack A.D., the Clueless One, did not consider Bowden two years ago...and apparently wasn't targeting him this time around, either. Does everyone also understand what a hindrance it is to have such a worthless representative running the athletic department? This needs to be rectified...and quickly.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Not to rain on the parade I do think this is a great hire BUT comparing what Terry Bowden did In the SEC to what Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier has done and continue to due is down right dumb. Terry won two years with the previous coaches recruits. Plus the sec was no where near what is now. LSU was not bowl eligble the first three years he was there. They lost to them during one of those years. Plus this is the time when Nebraska was dominate with Tommy Frazier and Florida state was a dynasty. Tennessee won their title in 1999 Florida won in 1996 when they beat auburn. Just bottom line if your saying that the SEC was the best hands down your wrong. He won but not with his recruits like les miles. But he didn't get a ring so he's not les miles or none of the above

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Not to rain on the parade I do think this is a great hire BUT comparing what Terry Bowden did In the SEC to what Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier has done and continue to due is down right dumb. Terry won two years with the previous coaches recruits. Plus the sec was no where near what is now. LSU was not bowl eligble the first three years he was there. They lost to them during one of those years. Plus this is the time when Nebraska was dominate with Tommy Frazier and Florida state was a dynasty. Tennessee won their title in 1999 Florida won in 1996 when they beat auburn. Just bottom line if your saying that the SEC was the best hands down your wrong. He won but not with his recruits like les miles. But he didn't get a ring so he's not les miles or none of the above

During the 10 year period

SEC 3 National Championships

ACC 2

Big 12 (though didn't really exist) 3

Big 10 1

Big East 1

So the SEC was one of the dominant conferences at that time.

The Big 8 had 3 one with Colorado in 1990, two with Nebraska (one of which was considered split with Penn State)

The SEC saw Alabama, Tennessee, and Florida win national titles. They would have had 4 if not for Auburn's NCAA sanctions which would take away Florida State's national title.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

All of which makes it even more mind-boggling that our crack A.D., the Clueless One, did not consider Bowden two years ago...and apparently wasn't targeting him this time around, either. Does everyone also understand what a hindrance it is to have such a worthless representative running the athletic department? This needs to be rectified...and quickly.

Give credit where credit is due. TW is to be blamed for Iannello because it happened under his directorship. Conversely, TW gets the credit for Bowden, as it also happened on his watch. We must remain logically consistent.

RE: Give credit where credit is due. TW is to be blamed for Iannello because it happened under his directorship. Conversely, TW gets the credit for Bowden, as it also happened on his watch. We must remain logically consistent.

Dude, Ianello "happened" under TW's watch because TW was the ONLY one who wanted the guy. Wake up. "Credit" for Bowden? Uh, no no no...not until we hear that Bowden was on UA's short list and that TW personally contacted and persuaded him to come to Akron. In total reality, TW may have had ZERO to do with this hiring. Your "logic" is nonsense.

Just because men's soccer happened to have great players and a coach in place, yet the National Championship occurred under "TW's watch," are you giving HIM the "credit" for it? Surely you're a Can't State student.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

Even so you can't argue that he won against better talent AND coaches then he will have to face in the MAC. Personally I think he will be a better recruiter now than he was then with his experience as a public/motivational speaker AND he had time to brush of 10 years of coaching rust at his previous job.

1. Regular winning

2. Winning in the SEC

During the 10 year period

SEC 3 National Championships

ACC 2

Big 12 (though didn't really exist) 3

Big 10 1

Big East 1

So the SEC was one of the dominant conferences at that time.

The Big 8 had 3 one with Colorado in 1990, two with Nebraska (one of which was considered split with Penn State)

The SEC saw Alabama, Tennessee, and Florida win national titles. They would have had 4 if not for Auburn's NCAA sanctions which would take away Florida State's national title.

Thanks for saving me the time. I've been outside staining the deck I said, in July, I was going to stain before my family got to my house the day after Christmas.

Thanks for saving me the time. I've been outside staining the deck I said, in July, I was going to stain before my family got to my house the day after Christmas.

Not a problem, I'm stuck at the office because corporate thinks we are "productive" on days surrounding a holiday.

Not a problem, I'm stuck at the office because corporate thinks we are "productive" on days surrounding a holiday.

The guy I work for is entirely too smart for that type of thinking.

RE: Give credit where credit is due. TW is to be blamed for Iannello because it happened under his directorship. Conversely, TW gets the credit for Bowden, as it also happened on his watch. We must remain logically consistent.

Dude, Ianello "happened" under TW's watch because TW was the ONLY one who wanted the guy. Wake up. "Credit" for Bowden? Uh, no no no...not until we hear that Bowden was on UA's short list and that TW personally contacted and persuaded him to come to Akron. In total reality, TW may have had ZERO to do with this hiring. Your "logic" is nonsense.

Just because men's soccer happened to have great players and a coach in place, yet the National Championship occurred under "TW's watch," are you giving HIM the "credit" for it? Surely you're a Can't State student.

No coach gets hired or fired without an AD playing an integral role. Does not happen! Period! Also inextricably involved is the approval of the Board of Directors. Both the AD and BOD are culpable for Iannello. Both are to be praised for Bowden. There is an element of chance in every occurrence. Maybe TW got lucky. So what! All that counts is the scoreboard.

Yes. It is because of Men's Soccer 2010 Championship that I am willing to defend TW. Was he primarily responsible for it? Certainly not! But TW played his part in it. Top executives take both the criticism and the accolades.

What is your suggested response here, what is your rationale? "Nice job, Tom, but you're still fired because of that other thing." Are we allowing for Wistrill to redeem himself?

If you EVER associate me with Kan't State again, I will make it my personal business to find out who you are. There is a difference between argument and insult :mad_flame: .

:D

:D

My boss gave me the whole week off! He must be brilliant. ;)

No coach gets hired or fired without an AD playing an integral role. Does not happen! Period! Also inextricably involved is the approval of the Board of Directors. Both the AD and BOD are culpable for Iannello. Both are to be praised for Bowden. There is an element of chance in every occurrence. Maybe TW got lucky. So what! All that counts is the scoreboard.

Yes. It is because of Men's Soccer 2010 Championship that I am willing to defend TW. Was he primarily responsible for it? Certainly not! But TW played his part in it. Top executives take both the criticism and the accolades.

What is your suggested response here, what is your rationale? "Nice job, Tom, but you're still fired because of that other thing." Are we allowing for Wistrill to redeem himself?

If you EVER associate me with Kan't State again, I will make it my personal business to find out who you are. There is a difference between argument and insult :mad_flame: .

Your reasoning is senseless. Yeah, WAY TO GO, TOMMY BOY! WAY TO BRING HOME THAT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH!!

And if TW did not personally contact Terry Bowden to inquire of his availability or interest in UA's coaching job--two years ago or a month ago--then trust me, buddy, YOU are the O-N-L-Y person showering our "beloved" lame-duck athletic director with accolades today. Sheesh. You sound like some corporate exec who takes credit for every good idea the real workers in the company suggest or implement. Meanwhile, you're at your desk... :zzz:

So auburn would of just been given the national title would of ran through Florida state no contest. And also Nebraska shared a title with michgian so that's 3 for them. And the sec was dominate you proved my point at no time Did they have back to back. My whole point was that the SEC of the 90's is not the SEC od today.