Zips at The University at Buffalo

RowdyZip

Who said anything about playing Harney more? I only inferred: Our chance of winning games against quality opponents is directly proportional to Harney's minutes. 20 is the number. math.gif

If Harney takes himself out of the game due to poor shooting or foul trouble, it is no different than KD taking him out.

Minutes are minutes. If Harney gets 20, we win. Against Miami or BG, the number drops. Against K.e.n.t., at home, magic number is 17+.

I would love for you to continue this prediction modality throughout the rest of the season to see how it plays out. Ready, go!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it's not always true, it's not a bad rule of thumb that the Zips are likely to do better when Harney ends up playing 20 or more minutes in a game.

Harney is effectively the replacement for B. McKnight as the Zips' designated frontcourt shooter off the bench. Like McKnight, Harney fires it up a lot, and when he's on he can score points in bunches. Even better, Harney shoots more high percentage shots than McKnight, and has a better field goal shooting percentage than McKnight ever did. You want Harney to take a lot of shots.

When his shooting is on, you want Harney on the floor a lot because he's going to score a lot of points. When his shooting is off, the Zips are deep enough to give more PT to other players to see if their shooting is on.

It'll be interesting to apply CK's Harney 20 Rule to the rest of the games this season and see how it works out.

It'll be interesting to apply CK's Harney 20 Rule to the rest of the games this season and see how it works out.

I will not let you down!

This week: >16, Zips win (as mentioned earlier, the number will vary slightly due to caliber of opponent, and home/away).

Obviously, if we play EMU, Harney can have 0 pts and 5 fouls and we'd win by 17.

Hmmm...maybe I'll add a "win by" factor for those games? Hmmm...

Apparently though, DiG, it's not exactly a 20 minute rule, but rather a magic number on sliding scale determined pre-game by CK. Sounds like something GP1 would dream up as a testament to his greatness.

I expect an ongoing spreadsheet type tally of this as the season progresses, CK.

If it was simply a 20-minute rule, anyone could do it. The Zips ain't so simple.

Spreadsheet? Once it turns from fun, into work, I'm out.

Who said anything about playing Harney more? I only inferred: Our chance of winning games against quality opponents is directly proportional to Harney's minutes. 20 is the number. math.gif

If Harney takes himself out of the game due to poor shooting or foul trouble, it is no different than KD taking him out.

Minutes are minutes. If Harney gets 20, we win. Against Miami or BG, the number drops. Against K.e.n.t., at home, magic number is 17+.

Great points. Good post.

Go Zips!

I would love for you to continue this prediction modality throughout the rest of the season to see how it plays out. Ready, go!

It would be interesting to see how that goes.

On the surface, I would think that if Harney plays a lot of minutes right now, it means that other people weren't playing well, which means that we're not playing a very good game.

I guess I'd certainly prefer to focus on his production rather than his minutes to measure his impact.

Beyond that, I hope that he is getting close to being a 20 minutes per night player anyway. Maybe that means we'll win all of the rest of our games :)

On the surface, I would think that if Harney plays a lot of minutes right now, it means that other people weren't playing well, which means that we're not playing a very good game.

What surface are you on...the moon?

If Harney gets an appreciable amount of minutes, it's because he's ridiculously talented. And he produces.

As Rico said after the OU game, the Zips have 9 players who could all be starters. If they're all good enough to be starters, they're all good enough to play long minutes.

Simple division of 200 game minutes by 9 players = about 22 minutes average per player per game.

With Rico being the only true PG and Zeke the only true center, it's understandable that they'd average closer to 30 minutes each per game. Subtracting that 60 minutes from 200 leaves 140 minutes for the other 7 players, or exactly 20 minutes apiece.

So it seems reasonable that whether those 7 players (including Harney) get a little more or a little less than 20 minutes per game depends on how their individual performances on both offense and defense are contributing to team results in any given game.

As Rico said after the OU game, the Zips have 9 players who could all be starters. If they're all good enough to be starters, they're all good enough to play long minutes.

Simple division of 200 game minutes by 9 players = about 22 minutes average per player per game.

With Rico being the only true PG and Zeke the only true center, it's understandable that they'd average closer to 30 minutes each per game. Subtracting that 60 minutes from 200 leaves 140 minutes for the other 7 players, or exactly 20 minutes apiece.

So it seems reasonable that whether those 7 players (including Harney) get a little more or a little less than 20 minutes per game depends on how their individual performances on both offense and defense are contributing to team results in any given game.

Bingo !

How did we manage to escape with a win with Harney only playing 14 minutes? Oh yeah, because as Dave pointed out, he scored 19 points in 9 minutes in the second half. You get half credit if his points exceed your minutes estimate. And the Zips still get the win. I think you might be onto something. He might be good.