Opening Night MAC Predictions

psc2009

Really looking forward to seeing how the OU@PSU game turns out with the perv aftermath and the Bobkitties looking strong. I believe the fans will still turn out to support the team but I have to root for the MAC team.

OU is ahead by ten with 2 left.

I had Northern Illinois as my Upset of the Week over Iowa, which could still happen. If tOSU hadn't woke up in the second quarter this could have been a MAC rout...

I watched the Ohio game. Very strange vibe at the end of that one. Penn State goes out with a whimper. Ohio totally outplayed them in the second half and won that game fair and square, but it almost looked like they were afraid to celebrate while the remaining fans were doing the We Are chant. PSU players just looked bewildered. Weird.

Biggest win ever for OU? It was anti-climactic.

I watched the Ohio game. Very strange vibe at the end of that one. Penn State goes out with a whimper. Ohio totally outplayed them in the second half and won that game fair and square, but it almost looked like they were afraid to celebrate while the remaining fans were doing the We Are chant. PSU players just looked bewildered. Weird.

Biggest win ever for OU? It was anti-climactic.

Beat a team that has lost everything? wow that's something to be proud of Ohio U fans.

Zips will be at PSU in 2014. Are you telling me we should blow them off the field by then?

By 2014, they'll only have 65 scholarship players, most of their BCS talent will have graduated or transferred out with no way to replace it, and fan support should be all but dead (today's loss may have already killed a huge chunk of it).

When we play them, they'll be FCS in everything but name. If we don't win, it would be an embarrassment.

By 2014, they'll only have 65 scholarship players, most of their BCS talent will have graduated or transferred out with no way to replace it, and fan support should be all but dead (today's loss may have already killed a huge chunk of it).

When we play them, they'll be FCS in everything but name. If we don't win, it would be an embarrassment.

I'm a Zips alum (law school) and root like hell for the Zips but as a Penn State undergrad that comment infuriates me and I hope we beat the crap out of the Zips. We just got crushed by UCF. OU is a lot better than the Zips. I hope Terry recruits some damn good players in the coming year and I'd love to see the Zips return to the postseason but Christ almighty... the Zips just had a transfer go TO the Nittany Lions at wide receiver.

Penn State will be down for a long time, don't get me wrong. But to think they'll never be back is a joke. USC had similar sanctions for 2 years and the first year they were bowl eligible they're ranked #1 in the AP poll. Do I think that'll happen to Penn St? Of course not. But to think they're gone forever is laughable.

I'm a Zips alum (law school) and root like hell for the Zips but as a Penn State undergrad that comment infuriates me and I hope we beat the crap out of the Zips. We just got crushed by UCF. OU is a lot better than the Zips. I hope Terry recruits some damn good players in the coming year and I'd love to see the Zips return to the postseason but Christ almighty... the Zips just had a transfer go TO the Nittany Lions at wide receiver.

Penn State will be down for a long time, don't get me wrong. But to think they'll never be back is a joke. USC had similar sanctions for 2 years and the first year they were bowl eligible they're ranked #1 in the AP poll. Do I think that'll happen to Penn St? Of course not. But to think they're gone forever is laughable.

The honest truth is that PSU will be Minnesota and IU level for the next decade or longer

Penn State hasn't lost everything. They lost 9 players. The talent they put on the field today should have won the game but Ohio outplayed them. If Akron was in Ohio's shoes we would certainly have Zips "fans" on this very board crowing about it as the greatest win ever. We would also have the same naysayers making snide comments as well.

The honest truth is that PSU will be Minnesota and IU level for the next decade or longer

And that's fine. I'm perfectly okay with this comment - I disagree that they'll be irrelevant for a full 10 years but yes, clearly they have an uphill battle. To say they'll "disappear" from college football forever is downright ignorant. To be honest again, though, IU and Minnesota would beat the current iteration of the Zips.

Here's hoping Bowden gets some good recruits in the coming years!! I would love for them to beat PSU en route to a berth in the Pizza Bowl or whatever in 2014!

Only in terms of name value, and only if you're judging that name value by it's past. This is just the beginning of that program disappearing into oblivion.

Syracuse was a big program at one point too, winning a National Championship in '59. Guess our win from a few years back was pretty epic! Name alone doesn't constitute a big win. Just because a team was successful in the past, doesn't mean they still are.

On a side note, I just saw that OU fans are talking about making a BCS game this year. Talk about dumb, it's not even statistically possible with their schedule. Why they would even be thinking that is beyond me. They are one of the best in the MAC, but that's all...

Syracuse was a big program at one point too, winning a National Championship in '59. Guess our win from a few years back was pretty epic! Name alone doesn't constitute a big win. Just because a team was successful in the past, doesn't mean they still are.

On a side note, I just saw that OU fans are talking about making a BCS game this year. Talk about dumb, it's not even statistically possible with their schedule. Why they would even be thinking that is beyond me. They are one of the best in the MAC, but that's all...

The Syracuse win wasn't big? You are a true moron.

Syracuse was 3-9 that season.

There is no debating that Syracuse sucked. It was a big win to me for the following reasons:

1. It did carry some weight with my "non-MAC fan" friends, just because Akron beat someone they had heard of.

2. It was a road win, as an underdog against a BCS (albeit shitty) team.

3. Their fanbase lost their minds over the loss.

4. It was the second game of the season and at that moment things looked to be moving in the right direction.

As a Zips fan, big wins have been few and far between, and as sad as it may be, I consider this win to be a big one. Sorry for calling you a moron. Maybe I'm the moron.

There is no debating that Syracuse sucked. It was a big win to me for the following reasons:

1. It did carry some weight with my "non-MAC fan" friends, just because Akron beat someone they had heard of.

2. It was a road win, as an underdog against a BCS (albeit shitty) team.

3. Their fanbase lost their minds over the loss.

4. It was the second game of the season and at that moment things looked to be moving in the right direction.

As a Zips fan, big wins have been few and far between, and as sad as it may be, I consider this win to be a big one. Sorry for calling you a moron. Maybe I'm the moron.

I also enjoyed that win, but unlike the Ohio U fans I didn't make it out to be more than it was.

As a side note, Youngstown State is going to beat Pitt. Same scenario really, Pitt has been in the dumps lately. Kinda glad we didn't get Chryst.

So which are you cj?

You say as a Penn State undergrad "I hope WE beat the crap out of the Zips" then you say "WE just got crushed by UCF"

If you are saying WE (Penn State) hope you beat the crap out of the Zips".......don't say WE just got crushed by UCF........You my friend are not US.

:moon:

So which are you cj?

You say as a Penn State undergrad "I hope WE beat the crap out of the Zips" then you say "WE just got crushed by UCF"

If you are saying WE (Penn State) hope you beat the crap out of the Zips".......don't say WE just got crushed by UCF........You my friend are not US.

:moon:

I'm both a Zips fan and a PSU fan. I'll root for Penn State over Akron in football and women's volleyball. I root for Akron men's basketball and men's soccer over Penn State. All other sports are determined by current ranking and schedules but quite frankly, who cares about any other sports?

Getting back on topic, I didn't participate in the predictions, but the MAC had a pretty respectable day yesterday. It's just too bad Toledo (OT loss) and NIU came up just a little short in their upset bids. BGSU also played very well against Florida, but it's hard to tell what is going on on Gainesville these days. I don't think Muschamp will be around for next season.

Maybe it was big because a lot of people were picking them AND they pulled it off (on national TV). How many MAC teams are trendy upset picks at lower level BCS schools only to choke for one reason or another. Yes Penn State was / is / and will be down but that's still a tough place to play. Plus, take into account how many times youve heard "Penn State loses its first game post Paterno to Ohio." how many times have the highlights lead sportscenter? Atleast for a day, everyone knew Ohio didn't mean that team in Columbus. Cant beat that publicity. Not nearly the same as beating a 3-9 Syracuse team no one cared or talked about. Especially since penn state has been relevant more than 50 years before the win.

Did you see the schedule Boise state played in 2006 when they beat Oklahoma in the fiesta? OOC games against Sacramento St, Oregon St., @ Wyoming, and @ Utah. It's very unlikely (probably lose @ Marshall). But It could happen. Every athletic department in the MAC is rooting for a share of that BCS payout.

Anyway, on to FIU

Maybe it was big because a lot of people were picking them AND they pulled it off (on national TV). How many MAC teams are trendy upset picks at lower level BCS schools only to choke for one reason or another. Yes Penn State was / is / and will be down but that's still a tough place to play. Plus, take into account how many times youve heard "Penn State loses its first game post Paterno to Ohio." how many times have the highlights lead sportscenter? Atleast for a day, everyone knew Ohio didn't mean that team in Columbus. Cant beat that publicity. Not nearly the same as beating a 3-9 Syracuse team no one cared or talked about. Especially since penn state has been relevant more than 50 years before the win.

Did you see the schedule Boise state played in 2006 when they beat Oklahoma in the fiesta? OOC games against Sacramento St, Oregon St., @ Wyoming, and @ Utah. It's very unlikely (probably lose @ Marshall). But It could happen. Every athletic department in the MAC is rooting for a share of that BCS payout.

Anyway, on to FIU

I agree with this post. OU had everything to lose going into that buzz saw yesterday and somehow came out with a win. I just came back from breakfast in Cuy. Falls and there were four people in the restaurant wearing OU stuff and I was approached by three people who remarked on the game. I was in Europe last month and was approached in an airport by a California resident who wanted to congratulate me on the Sweet 16 run. OU is cashing in on this big-time. Season tickets sales are through the roof for football (up 71% before yesterday) and they just put on an extra sales crew for today and Monday. B-ball renewals have already set a record. OU has an excellent AD who understands the importance of building on all of this momentum, which is why they are spending big money on B-ball (more than $4 million in upgrades to the arena, including a practice facility, and the big contract for Jim Christian) and football (just signed Solich and staff to 5 year deal this week, breaking ground (finally) for an indoor facility, planning stadium expansion).