Replace Porter! Replace Porter!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not dismiss Jared Embick. I just want him to have competition. I want there to be some deliberation about this. I would hate for TW to take the tidy path of least resistance, without challenge.

Kenny Arena is intriguing. So is Billy Thompson. Both of these are known. I am sure there are others.

Ahem...aka fknbuflobo. :lol:

I share part of your concern, because I feel Embick lacks the national name recognition needed -- and the experience outside Caleb's cocoon to lead a national recruiting program. Because of that, I am surprised you fail to mention Kenny Arena. He's just about the same age Caleb was seven years ago (31 I believe, a year older, amazingly). For those who remember, the old AD regime brought "Old Man Arena" USMNT Coach Bruce onto the search committee at that time. What role he had time to play is a good question. The name cache' alone created a buzz of attention at the time. I like Maisonneuve also -- like Caleb in 2005, he should know his potential to replace his current boss anytime soon is very low. Take a look at Billy Thompson (Crew Academy Coaching Dir.), who I mentioned earlier. He's well known enough in the region, and is a former UCLA All-American.

Yes! That makes at least three votes that Kenny Arena should at least be in the discussion. Me, Z.I.P., and DeAndre Yedlin's grandmother haha. Seems like an all star committee to me.

I'm of the same opinion as fknbuflobo, definitely not against Embick in any way, just against handing it to Embick because it seems like the easiest choice. If he really is the best candidate, then he will win out in the end and we will all be behind him. But here is an interesting point: It seems as though the mindset behind pushing Embick is the idea that Caleb's assistant will produce the same success Caleb has. Well if that's the case I'm wondering when VCU will start being a national powerhouse.

I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes right now.

Many of you youngsters out there do not fully realize how perilously close this program is to slipping from the elite, returning to the ranks of the very good also-rans, a position we have occupied for most of the program’s existence. This next hiring is monumentally important. I cannot over-emphasize that point.

I disagree with and am insulted by this statement here and it's alternate phrasing in your letter to TW. All of us have posted here because we are very much concerned about this. It is not your concern alone.

Like you, I will support whomever is chosen as Caleb's successor because our Soccer Program means a lot to me.

how and why does Furman recruit itself? How many times in the last 10 years has Furman finished in the top 15?

My guess is that Furman has finished within the top 15 three times during the last decade, according to the coaches' poll. Allison is a great coach.

Have you seen that campus in Greenville, SC? Every intersection is a roundabout with a fountain in the middle. Spanish moss hangs from the trees. 100 year old buildings are everywhere.

Some people collect stamps. Others visit museums. Some climb mountains, or attend Baseball games. All are hobby.

My thing? I tour college campi (plural campus). Trust me, Furman is wicked beautiful. ;)

Yes! That makes at least three votes that Kenny Arena should at least be in the discussion. Me, Z.I.P., and DeAndre Yedlin's grandmother haha. Seems like an all star committee to me.

And I know at least one of our current players thinks highly of Brian Maisonneuve.

I do see your and fknbuflobo's (as well as others') points, I just don't want to see Embick overlooked, which seems to be the Akron way in most things. [At least UA didn't do so when hiring our Men's Basketball Head Coach.]

Oh and one more thing about the Kenny Arena idea, for anyone who is dismissing it based on the idea that you shouldn't make a hire based on name recognition, I'm sure Kenny Arena is a better soccer coach than Jim Tressel is a "vice president of strategic engagement." Again, I'm just saying it's worth considering. Think about the draw it could have to kids trying to get into the pros. Maybe if you come to Akron and play well, your coach will call his daddy, the best American soccer coach ever, and recommend him taking a look at you. Also for anyone wondering, Kenny Arena's FIU has only dropped one match in eight outings this season, and it was to the above mentioned Furman.

I disagree with and am insulted by this statement here and it's alternate phrasing in your letter to TW. All of us have posted here because we are very much concerned about this. It is not your concern alone.

Like you, I will support whomever is chosen as Caleb's successor because our Soccer Program means a lot to me.

Insulted? Seriously? I apologize.

To what do you disagree? Please tell me.

I hope you do not take exception to being called a youngster. I would love to be considered a youngster.

Yes, this is not my private concern. This is OUR concern. That is precisely why I share my thoughts with you, on ZNO. Otherwise, I would have a private conversation with TW.

Insulted? Seriously? I apologize.

To what do you disagree? Please tell me.

I hope you do not take exception to being called a youngster. I would love to be considered a youngster.

Yes, this is not my private concern. This is OUR concern. That is precisely why I share my thoughts with you, on ZNO. Otherwise, I would have a private conversation with TW.

Specifically this...do not fully realize how perilously close this program is to slipping from the elite, returning to the ranks of the very good also-rans, a position we have occupied for most of the program’s existence. This next hiring is monumentally important. I cannot over-emphasize that point.

Seriously, you don't think we realize this?

BTW...I happened to be a student at UA the first time UA Men's Soccer played for the National Championship. I'm not sure if that makes me a "youngster" in your book or not.

EDIT: This is a good, healthy debate. I really don't have a problem with any of this discussion or anyone's opinions here. I've not been a soccer fan as long as ZIP or you; when Caleb says that it's a goal of his to "grow the sport", he can count me as someone whom he has turned into a fan of the "beautiful game". My fear is not just of Akron Men's Soccer slipping from the elite, but also turning away from the beautiful style we currently enjoy.

Specifically this...do not fully realize how perilously close this program is to slipping from the elite, returning to the ranks of the very good also-rans, a position we have occupied for most of the program’s existence. This next hiring is monumentally important. I cannot over-emphasize that point.

Seriously, you don't think we realize this?

BTW...I happened to be a student at UA the first time UA Men's Soccer played for the National Championship. I'm not sure if that makes me a "youngster" in your book or not.

You were a student in 1986? That make you old, like me.

Only the past five years have been great for Zips Soccer. Before that, it was very good to downright mediocre. I would do just about anything to perpetuate this current streak among the elite.

You were a student in 1986? That make you old, like me.

Only the past five years have been great for Zips Soccer. Before that, it was very good to downright mediocre. I would do just about anything to perpetuate this current streak among the elite.

Yes, I was an undergrad from 1982 - 87 (5-yr co-op program), and I wholeheartedly agree with the statement in bold.

Oh and one more thing about the Kenny Arena idea, for anyone who is dismissing it based on the idea that you shouldn't make a hire based on name recognition, I'm sure Kenny Arena is a better soccer coach than Jim Tressel is a "vice president of strategic engagement." Again, I'm just saying it's worth considering. Think about the draw it could have to kids trying to get into the pros. Maybe if you come to Akron and play well, your coach will call his daddy, the best American soccer coach ever, and recommend him taking a look at you. Also for anyone wondering, Kenny Arena's FIU has only dropped one match in eight outings this season, and it was to the above mentioned Furman.

And exactly what "style" of soccer do Kenny Arena's team play?

Is it possession-orientated?

This is what Zip's teams are known for and this is the future IMO.

I'm not convinced that the players we now get are coming for Caleb Porter as much as they are coming for the incredible style that we play. Ampai and early classes came for Porter, but they started the beautiful style that drew the rest. Porter himself asserts that there are only a few schools in the country that play the beautiful way we do i.e. Maryland, UCLA, Wake. Wistrcill has a decision to make regarding that style, do you keep it intact or do you try to find a charismatic coach like Caleb who brings his own style. If TW keeps it intact he hires Embick. That keeps the style, current players, best staff of assistants in the country and 2013 recruits. It also lets us get back into the hunt for the 2014 recruits who want to come but they have to know who the coach is soon. TW hasn't named Embick which leads me to believe he is looking elsewhere. If he does pick Embick he has colossally screwed up our future recruiting because of time lost and indecision. Caleb has said many times that recruiting is an ugly dogfight and if you take some time off you lose.

If TW goes through the way he is indicating no new coach will be hired until after the season since they can't interview until then. We will lose half our current players, most of the 2013 recruits and find a different style of recruit in 2014, one that suits the new coach's philosophy. Since few coaches play the way we now play I see the end of the beautiful game. The new coach will win but not entertain. It is wishful thinking to hope TW will find another coach who believes in possession soccer. They don't exist because it is so risky to play that way and big time college soccer coaches want to keep their jobs. So the top kids who can play possession go to the elite schools and coaches turn to overseas to bring in talent. When you do that you must play the way the recruits have been brought up. You aren't going to change them so you adopt to their ways and build the team around them. This is the case for many college teams.

I also worry that TW wants to use this as an opportunity to show that he can make a big hire after having blown the Ianello hire and damaged his career. If TW makes a splash with the soccer coach hire he can point out that he drew a name coach into the program to continue our tradition. It looks good on his resume but long-term it could set us back because we will become another top 25 program that plays dull, boring soccer. Say goodbye to an elite top 5 program.

I will always support the Zips, but I'm worried about this one.

I'm not convinced that the players we now get are coming for Caleb Porter as much as they are coming for the incredible style that we play. Ampai and early classes came for Porter, but they started the beautiful style that drew the rest. Porter himself asserts that there are only a few schools in the country that play the beautiful way we do i.e. Maryland, UCLA, Wake. Wistrcill has a decision to make regarding that style, do you keep it intact or do you try to find a charismatic coach like Caleb who brings his own style. If TW keeps it intact he hires Embick. That keeps the style, current players, best staff of assistants in the country and 2013 recruits. It also lets us get back into the hunt for the 2014 recruits who want to come but they have to know who the coach is soon. TW hasn't named Embick which leads me to believe he is looking elsewhere. If he does pick Embick he has colossally screwed up our future recruiting because of time lost and indecision. Caleb has said many times that recruiting is an ugly dogfight and if you take some time off you lose.

If TW goes through the way he is indicating no new coach will be hired until after the season since they can't interview until then. We will lose half our current players, most of the 2013 recruits and find a different style of recruit in 2014, one that suits the new coach's philosophy. Since few coaches play the way we now play I see the end of the beautiful game. The new coach will win but not entertain. It is wishful thinking to hope TW will find another coach who believes in possession soccer. They don't exist because it is so risky to play that way and big time college soccer coaches want to keep their jobs. So the top kids who can play possession go to the elite schools and coaches turn to overseas to bring in talent. When you do that you must play the way the recruits have been brought up. You aren't going to change them so you adopt to their ways and build the team around them. This is the case for many college teams.

I also worry that TW wants to use this as an opportunity to show that he can make a big hire after having blown the Ianello hire and damaged his career. If TW makes a splash with the soccer coach hire he can point out that he drew a name coach into the program to continue our tradition. It looks good on his resume but long-term it could set us back because we will become another top 25 program that plays dull, boring soccer. Say goodbye to an elite top 5 program.

I will always support the Zips, but I'm worried about this one.

You're confusing the cart and the horse. Akron doesn't play that style because Akron plays that style, Akron plays that style because Porter plays that style. It's like the service Academies in football. They never had the athletes to compete so they continued to play variations on option offenses, not necessarily because of the coach, but because thats all they could do. No matter who takes over the style will be different, even Embick.

Great posting, 72 Roo!

So, you suggest that we are, at this point, screwed either way? I hope you are wrong, but I share your concerns.

The international success of Barcelona and Espana has propelled the beautiful game forward. This same short-passing style promoted Swansea to the EPL. It is the next evolutionary step in Football. Our USMNT skipper, Jürgen Klinsman is a proponent. Tiki-taka is here to stay, and Caleb Porter is not the only missionary espousing the faith. Count me among them. I too want to keep this possession style that translates so well to international success, the style that is so exquisitely beautiful to watch.

I absolutely love Zips Soccer; that could never be over-stated! But our ultimate goal is for the USA to win a World Cup. Do we all agree on that point? NCAA Championships are awesome (reeeally awesome!), and I hope to experience at least one more, but our national side is priority. Caleb Porter definitely gets this. Ask him. Klinsman, Porter, Ramos and an ever increasing throng believe that tiki-taka is the style most likely to earn the USA a World Cup.

Therefore, I do not agree that hiring someone other than Embick is tantamount to abandoning the beautiful game. I refute that logical leap. There are others who believe in tiki-taka, if for no other reason than it is preached from the top (Klinsman) on down the line. Otherwise, I agree with everything you say, and I sympathize with your trepidation.

Let the first interview criterion be belief in tiki-taka (for lack of a better term). I reiterate that if Embick is indeed the man, then so be it. Just so long as the job is not simply given to him.

At any rate, TW and his committee (or whatever) had best already be rolling on this. Time is a-wastin’. There is recruiting to do.

And exactly what "style" of soccer do Kenny Arena's team play?

Is it possession-orientated?

This is what Zip's teams are known for and this is the future IMO.

semantic quibble here

a team can be "possession oriented" and not necessarily want to dominate possession

ex., Lobanovskyi's Kiev

/beingpretentious

It seems as though the mindset behind pushing Embick is the idea that Caleb's assistant will produce the same success Caleb has. Well if that's the case I'm wondering when VCU will start being a national powerhouse.

Next year would be my prediction if VCU is following Caleb's plan. ('06, '07, '08, ... '09 College Cup) Giffard at VCU --- '10, '11, '12, ... '13

Although, thinking about this as I type, I believe we could have been there in '08 had we not had our home field advantage taken away from us. If I recall Mich St had lost, and we were the top remaining seed in our bracket.

EDIT: UNC promoted an assistant and was rewarded with the National Championship in his first season as head coach (last year).

Next year would be my prediction if VCU is following Caleb's plan. ('06, '07, '08, ... '09 College Cup) Giffard at VCU --- '10, '11, '12, ... '13

Although, thinking about this as I type, I believe we could have been there in '08 had we not had our home field advantage taken away from us. If I recall Mich St had lost, and we were the top remaining seed in our bracket.

EDIT: UNC promoted an assistant and was rewarded with the National Championship in his first season as head coach (last year).

I am still sore about that! Some wounds never heal.

Whatever the decision, I hope it is occurring right now behind the scenes.

Starting the process after the end of the season is way too late.

BTW, the more I learn of Kenny Arena, the better he looks.

I truly believe Tom Wistrcill is an awful athletic director and I'm very worried about this. Embick is the safest choice.

Embick safest choice? He's the only choice. If we want to keep watching soccer like we had tonight we need continuity and the guy Coach Porter named his 'Associate HEAD COACH' for a reason. I understand it's a team effort from all involved creating what we know as Akron Soccer and the current style of play and philosophy. If we want Akron soccer to look like we have become accustom to over the last 5 seasons then we need the people who have been involved to stay involved. Isn't it Embick who coaches the attackers? Bunbury, Nanchoff, Nagbe and Mattocks! Not a bad resume, two Hermann Trophy winners, leading scores in the nation, first round MLS draftees, two now international players and oh yes, Steve Zakuani! Compared to the list put together submitted by Robert Tucker posted to TW, the suggested candidates resume's don't come anywhere close to what our current staff have achieved in college soccer.

• 2 weeks later...
the rumors are pointing to Brian Maisonneuve, but I believe Shaun Docking should still be in the running. Coastal Carolina could go far in the tournament this year.

Maisonneuve bio - Louisville Cardinal men's soccer assistant coach.

Sure seems to have the resume for the job. Don't really know anything about his people skills or coaching philosophy/style.

Maisonneuve bio - Louisville Cardinal men's soccer assistant coach.

Sure seems to have the resume for the job. Don't really know anything about his people skills or coaching philosophy/style.

Brian Maisonneuve is currently Assistant Coach at Indiana; Louisville was his previous stop prior to 2010.

Who is Head Coach at Indiana? Todd Yeagley is Head Coach at Indiana (of course), and Yeagley will have that job until he no longer wants it. If Maisonneuve wants to run his own program, his representatives had better already be talking to TW. An opportunity like Akron will not likely come around again anytime soon.