MNF - Seattle/Green Bay

tbozeglav

Did anyone else watch this game? This weekend of NFL football has shown all the signs I need to see that these replacement officials need to go. NOW.

End of the game, hail mary pass gets ruled a touchdown giving seattle the win after a green bay player comes away with the ball. Not only that, but they COMPLETELY missed a blatant pass interference call on the seahawks, and have completely botched every part of the rules regarding the end of the game. Theyre ruining the game and I completely agree more players are going to get seriously hurt.

Almost makes me not want to watch the NFL anymore. Awful.

Did anyone else watch this game? This weekend of NFL football has shown all the signs I need to see that these replacement officials need to go. NOW.

End of the game, hail mary pass gets ruled a touchdown giving seattle the win after a green bay player comes away with the ball. Not only that, but they COMPLETELY missed a blatant pass interference call on the seahawks, and have completely botched every part of the rules regarding the end of the game. Theyre ruining the game and I completely agree more players are going to get seriously hurt.

Almost makes me not want to watch the NFL anymore. Awful.

If we have to deal with MAC refs, so should the NFL. :thumb:

skip....i think some of the replacement refs are actually MAC refs. If I understand correctly the higher level refs are part of the same union as the NFL refs or have some agreement with them in hopes of getting called up. So if poor refereeing drives them to us we'll then drive them back right?

That call cost me money. Green Bay was favored by 3. Maybe the ref had money on Seattle........just sayin'

skip....i think some of the replacement refs are actually MAC refs. If I understand correctly the higher level refs are part of the same union as the NFL refs or have some agreement with them in hopes of getting called up. So if poor refereeing drives them to us we'll then drive them back right?

You could be right. Again, it's just wishful thinking on my part that Akron Football could maybe benefit from disgruntled NFL fans.

Like soccer (futbol), bad calls are part of the game. The issue is that instead of ruling an interception the refs ruled it dual possession. Once that call was made there is no way to reverse it, since possession requires contact to the ground who controlled the ball in the air is irrellevant.

Now the supposed blown interference call on the drive leading up to that, if you look at the film you can clearly see the GB defender pulling the jersey of the Seattle receiver, that is blatant interference and whenever cloth is seen being tugged it is getting called.

GB fans seem to be missing the biggest botched call of the night, and that is Aaron Rogers scramble that was ruled a first down. he was down with ball a good ball length short.

The bad calls happen every season with the real refs, its getting blown out of proportion because of the replacements. Tuck rule, that was the best refs in the league, there were several last year, the infamous Jerome Bettis coin toss. The attention is on the refs because of the lockout/strike so bad calls appear to be more common this year but they really aren't.

The money the NFL brings in can be measured in billions. $9 billion in 2011. The extra money the owners would have to pay referees can be measured in thousands. The hundreds of millions of dollars in between those numbers don't even have to be discussed in the conversation. What the owners are doing is almost insane.

i respectfully disagree, g-mann. If you look into the statistics of the season thus far, youll find that that coaches challenges are setting record high overturn percentages this season at, i believe, 75%, give or take some. That alone is indication that these referees are grossly incapable of the task at hand.

Now, I will concede that it may not even be the ref's faults. It may just be that they were thrown into a situation where the chances of them doing well were nearly impossible. As many have pointed out, the replacements come from at the very least High School, D3, D2, and possibly the bottom of the D1 pool in collegiate football. The speed, intensity, and precision of the NFL game is leaps and bounds beyond anything theyve seen. So yes, it'd be hard for anyone to do what theyre doing.

However, my point circles mostly around the fact that the NFL, who used to proclaim to all its teams/owners to "Protect the Shield", is letting this shoddy, poor excuse for refereeing pass as acceptable and is refusing to budge on the differences between them and the officials union. They might claim their ratings are super high or that interest in the brand is at an all-time high, but at the cost of the game's and the league's integrity.