Zips Hoops Rankings

RootforRoo44

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in an ESPN article about that latest bracketology, you have this:

Never underestimate the power of a nonconference win at a place like Creighton. Boise got a good one at Wyoming last week, but other than that it hasn't beaten anyone remotely noteworthy. But the Broncos are a No. 8 seed right now because, by golly, they beat Creighton on its own floor. You can't hate on that.

Opportunities lost...

See, the only thing that matters is winning the MACC. :rolleyes:

Joe Lunardi had a chat session today and someone from Fort Worth submitted a question that was remarkably close to the same one I submitted.

Scott (Fort Worth)

Do you see any chance that if Akron and Ohio U each have 25+ wins and meet in the Conference Championship that the loser could get at-large consideration and finally make the MAC a two-bid league again?

Joe Lunardi (3:26 PM)

Not gonna' happen, Scott. The MAC continues to schedule too poorly out-of-conference to put itself in position for multiple bids.

I'd disagree on that one. I think the Zips did a pretty good job scheduling OOC this year. I think in conference is where their SOS takes a big hit.

Seth Davis is one of the AP top 25 voters. He shared the votes he sent in today in a tweet. Since tweets are limited in number of characters, he had to break it up into multiple tweets. The last tweet was for positions 16-25. He voted for Akron as #25 in the AP top 25. So Akron should at least show up under "others receiving votes" in this week's AP top 25.

Gotcha. That is awesome. Who knows, a few others may have done the same. I predicted yesterday we would get two votes. Looks like I will be at least 1/2 right.

I think they'll get at least another vote this week. Media polls are obviously all about perception. The twitter coup, the leveling of OU on the U, and taking over the nation's longest winning streak all serve to put the Zips in the minds of the voters. It's this very momentum that also keeps me believing there is still a chance for an at-large bid, assuming the Zips can somehow win out and stumble in the MAC championship (although I agree with Quicksips that losing in the MACC is looking less and less likely). I think, in that scenario, the Zips RPI would not be the end all criterion for whether they would get in or not. I think the huge, late-season winning streak would put them over in the minds of the selection committee.

The obvious caution in all of this talk is health. For instance, AA simply needs to stay healthy all year for the team to reach it's potential.

I think they'll get at least another vote this week. Media polls are obviously all about perception. The twitter coup, the leveling of OU on the U, and taking over the nation's longest winning streak all serve to put the Zips in the minds of the voters. It's this very momentum that also keeps me believing there is still a chance for an at-large bid, assuming the Zips can somehow win out and stumble in the MAC championship (although I agree with Quicksips that losing in the MACC is looking less and less likely). I think, in that scenario, the Zips RPI would not be the end all criterion for whether they would get in or not. I think the huge, late-season winning streak would put them over in the minds of the selection committee.

The obvious caution in all of this talk is health. For instance, AA simply needs to stay healthy all year for the team to reach it's potential.

I think too many people on here get caught up in RPI. RPI is not the sole decider in who makes the tournament, far from it.

We are on the minds of the media with the twitter thing, we're putting together a nationally recognized winning streak, and with a little more winning we'll have a fairly solid resume. Keep winning and it'll be hard to deny us, regardless of RPI.