Donald Garth of Bucthel

What is a preferred walk-on? Does anyone knoww for SURE, I can guess.
Preferred walk ons pretty much have a guaranteed spot on the team. Also, they are in-line for a scholarship if someone (like Bubba) drops out. KD must like Garth. You don't see the "preferred walk on" tag in hoops too frequently. It is pretty common in football.

"Preferred walk on" is a term used to make a "walk on" sound special. Sounds like it was made up by somebody with a finance background (preferred stock versus common stock). Good news is if either category drops out with unsatisfactory academic performance, the school is not penalized as would be the case with a scholarship player. Other terms may work as well. e.g., "super walk on," "extraordinary walk on," "wonderful walk on," etc. :puke:

"Preferred walk on" is a term used to make a "walk on" sound special. Sounds like it was made up by somebody with a finance background (preferred stock versus common stock). Good news is if either category drops out with unsatisfactory academic performance, the school is not penalized as would be the case with a scholarship player. Other terms may work as well. e.g., "super walk on," "extraordinary walk on," "wonderful walk on," etc. :puke:
preferred stock and common stock are different. so the analogy is not quite the same.

AK - I didn't say common and preferred stock were the same. I said the term preferred walk on was probably invented by someone with a finance background. Anyway, you have to admit that "preferred walk on" sounds better than "another guy we aren't giving a scholarship to - first class." :eek:
i agree with you there 100%. it's always nice to have a glorified title!