UB at Akron

GJGood

Speaking of Hurley....now that I've gotten to watch him for a game, I saw some interesting things, to say the least.

1) What coach spends 3/4 of his timeouts talking to the officials?

2) What coach is classless enough to go after an opposing player? (Diggs) I'd love to know what was said.

3) I also noticed him yelling at the Zips fans in the first row right behind his bench. I'd love to know what was said there also. Again, Classless.

4) I've never seen a coach run out on the floor as often as him. Ever. They could have given him 2 T's and booted him in the first 5 min., if they wanted to.

However, I do see that Zips fans will have a reason to get excited about playing Buffalo for however long that he is their coach, even if it's just to watch his despicable side show.

I loved the "Bobby's Gonna Cry" and "Bobbbbyyyyyyy" chants.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch any recent 49er's games?

LOL...no kidding. I guess there's two of them. I stand corrected.

What was really interesting is that it also seemed like his asst. coaches were helping him lobby to the officials. I don't recall that anyone was sitting in the huddle "coaching" the players. Did anyone else notice this?

He'll ultimately become an embarrassment for the school, and eventually for the league. I'll just bet that nobody at UB or the league office sees that right now.

Yes. Please. Someone bring up the video from this "cheap shot." Anyone?

In the same light as OJ's glove not fitting, there was no video of the rabbit punch, so it must not have happened.

But moving onward - McCrea is the 2014 POTY. It will be interesting to see if he gets his ring this year, or simply a personal award and a CBI away game. Stay tuned...

Did McCrea throw the ball at Isiah Johnson earlier this season and receive a technical? I don't think he did because I couldn't find a video clip of this.

Go on ubfan and sing McCrea's praises, I simply don't care how good his stats are, he has never led his team to a championship. Maybe he will this year but until he does... he is a nice player but not a great player.

BTW, I literally have never seen a coach lobby for more calls in my life. Simply embarrassing that coach Hurley had such a long leash. Literally could have called a couple technicals at any point in the first half. Couldn't believe he went after diggs early in the first half, never seen a coach go after a player so aggressively.

In the same light as OJ's glove not fitting, there was no video of the rabbit punch, so it must not have happened.

But moving onward - McCrea is the 2014 POTY. It will be interesting to see if he gets his ring this year, or simply a personal award and a CBI away game. Stay tuned...

I totally agree. And he is going to be big time on the draft radar. He is an all around player. Has all the moves.

Maybe he will this year but until he does... he is a nice player but not a great player.

Romeo was a great player and didn't win a championship (thanks for an inept clock operator in Cleveland). Ditto for Charles Barkley and Dan Marino, and hundreds of others in their respective sports.

McCrea may have done some stupid crap, but he's been on the verge of being to top player in the league for a long time. And with Buffalo finally being one of the top teams in the league in his senior year, I think it's hard to pass him up for the award this year.

Tree should have a great shot at being our next MVP next year.

If not a well deserving Demetrius Treadwell .... the POY award goes to "Juice" Brown.

Hey, Buffalo-is-in-Canada fans, class counts. Of which McCrea has none.

Awarding thug play only leads to more and more thug play.

We wish McCrea well in the Calafornia Penal League.

I simply don't care how good his stats are, he has never led his team to a championship. Maybe he will this year but until he does... he is a nice player but not a great player.

That's the beauty of a player of the year award, it is based on the whole body of work for the current year. Doesn't matter what his stats or accomplishments are from other years, the award is given based on the player's successes in the current basketball season. Additionally, since the 1990-1991 Basketball season, the POY has come from the team that won the MAC Championship just 6 times in that 23 year timeframe. Checking if the POY was on the team that won the championship in the previous season - that has happened just 3 times since 1991.

Looking at his body of work this season, it's a clear cut choice. And - he could still lead his team to a championship.

Akron's sole POY recipient - Romeo Travis (2007) - never won a MAC championship either. Would you say he was undeserving because of this?

@ubxcretired, just wanted to say that I appreciate your thoughtful contributions to ZN.o. It's not easy to post on a rival team's forum without ruffling some feathers, so you're going to get some pushback here. But the data you post to make your points is interesting and informative. The Zips and Bulls are getting quite a rivalry going, which is good for all of us.

Great find, remember that well. It's pretty clear on that video, let's see how our UB friend spins this...

I am fine with McCrea winning POY, his stats clearly indicate he is the POY but let's not pretend he isn't a dirty player who complains just as much as his head coach.

I also think that McCrea also benifits from a lot of no calls, I love his physicality but also think he gets away with a lot. Just my two cents.

I am fine with McCrea winning POY, his stats clearly indicate he is the POY but let's not pretend he isn't a dirty player who complains just as much as his head coach.

There is no player or coach on the face of the earth thast whines like Hurley. I've never seen anything like it. I don't think his dad "coached" that way?

After his review of the video, I would be curious to hear our new friend's opinion on whether Reggie would be faring similar to Hurley had he stayed @ UB? I think he would have been similar.

Nice find. Curious to see if our new member w/selective memory calls that a clean off-ball screen.

Yes, excellent find. Indisputable. Did you see how hard his head snapped?

A guy like Kretzer, who is a strong former football player, could not be staggered straight to the ground like a rag doll from behind without a good shot to the lower back. It's obvious.

Hurley and him must get along well.

His class (lack thereof) and MAC POY are mutually exclusive. I don't think he has much class, but he's a heck of a player. I don't think there's much of an argument against McCrea as POY. There isn't much argument for him being a classy player either, but those two don't have anything to do with each other.

His class (lack thereof) and MAC POY are mutually exclusive. I don't think he has much class, but he's a heck of a player. I don't think there's much of an argument against McCrea as POY. There isn't much argument for him being a classy player either, but those two don't have anything to do with each other.

It should. But it won't.

Nice find. Curious to see if our new member w/selective memory calls that a clean off-ball screen.

I wouldn't call it clean, but it certainly doesn't warrant the reaction that you guys seem to be having to it. It is not as conclusive or clear cut as you are making it out to be - Jake was trottng back and McCrea was set. It was a hard contact but you guys are making it sound like Javon walked up and punched him in the kidney. It also doesn't define Javon as a "dirty" player.

If the zips fans want to make that jump, so be it, but its a pretty big leap.

There is no player or coach on the face of the earth thast whines like Hurley. I've never seen anything like it. I don't think his dad "coached" that way?

After his review of the video, I would be curious to hear our new friend's opinion on whether Reggie would be faring similar to Hurley had he stayed @ UB? I think he would have been similar.

I'm not so sure what the discussion of Reggie vs. Hurley has to do with the topic at hand or the video?

I think Reggie would have us in a similar situation than we are now, perhaps with another conf. loss. Hurley brought in Freelove, who has been integral in some of our wins, but also has a bad habit of going cold and continuing to chuck up bad shots at inopportune times (with tons of time on the shot clock). Hurley's also cost us at least one game getting t'd up for jawing at the ref (Bowling Green) and Hurley's been giving Shannon Evans many more minutes than Reggie was known for giving freshmen. We'll see if Hurley can finally get us over the hump in Cleveland. I'm retaining the comparison between the two for the post season. I'm also curoius to see how his recruiting abilities stack up agains the rest of the conference.

Great find, remember that well. It's pretty clear on that video, let's see how our UB friend spins this...

I also think that McCrea also benifits from a lot of no calls, I love his physicality but also think he gets away with a lot. Just my two cents.

McCrea is an aggressive player - zips fans seem to have a special hatred of him and view him as a dirty player based upon..... well...... not much really.

McCrea is an aggressive player - zips fans seem to have a special hatred of him and view him as a dirty player based upon..... well...... not much really.

In his last 4 games vs UA, he's knocked a player to the ground with an elbow away from the ball, and threw a ball at a player and got T'd. Your coach is a buffoon. I don't think you can fault Akron fans for thinking this probably happens a decent amount in non-Akron games as well.

In his last 4 games vs UA, he's knocked a player to the ground with an elbow away from the ball, and threw a ball at a player and got T'd. Your coach is a buffoon. I don't think you can fault Akron fans for thinking this probably happens a decent amount in non-Akron games as well.

This coming from the poster who is ready to let Convicted Drug Dealer Alex Abreu come back to play next year, pardon me for not exactly taking your assessment of other players as dirty with any seriousness.

McCrea leans into the contact. sorry no way to spin it, it's a dirty hit. We don't have to make much of a leap at all...it's pretty clear; physics.

It's not the smoking gun your fans are making it out to be. it was hard contact, probably not totally clean, but does not paint McCrea with the brush strokes your fanbase has within this thread.