Coaching at Akron was my first big break

Great recognition for recently departed Akron assistant coach Mario Sanchez, who took over for long-time (24 year) HC Barry Barto at UNLV. Mario's listed by Soccer America magazine as one of the nine "Rising Stars" in American Soccer coaching and administration, along with people like UCLA head coach Jorge Salcedo and US national youth coach Brian Maisonneuve, the former Columbus Crewman.Here's what Mario said to Soccer America: "I think everyone needs a break to get their first coaching job of significance. One break for me, believe it or not, was when Fresno State dropped its soccer program. I was fortunate to land a job as assistant at Akron. That's when my coaching career took off."Akron: The cradle of coaches. :bow:

Met Mario once or twice, he was always a class act and always took time to talk to the kids. With this thread in mind, read this in Roger Browns column today in the Cleveland Plain Dealer:How much respect is the University of Akron starting to earn as an athletic program? Well, other Division I schools have been hiring away numerous UA assistant coaches in recent months: Zips football coaches Jim Pry and Terrell Williams have been named assistants at Big Ten schools Illinois and Purdue, respectively. Men's basketball associate head coach Shaka Smart has been hired by Clemson. Women's basketball assistants Geoff Lanier and Susan Blauser have taken jobs at Ohio and Dayton, respectively. Men's soccer head coach Ken Lolla has taken the same job at Louisville. And Mario Sanchez, Lolla's assistant at Akron, is now head coach at University of Nevada-Las Vegas. Source

How...OH HOW are we ever going to recover from the losses of Geoff Lanier and Susan Blauser??!!! Dark ages here we come!!!  Well, I wasn't worried till I read the Captn's comment. Now that he has pointed out the key departures, I'm not going to be able to enjoy the 4th of July holiday festivities. What do we have to do to lure these two back to the Hill? 
Lanier and Blauser are devastating losses....you guys are definately funny and I guess you are content.....Lets recap the post of the most successful year.....FootballJim PryMatt WallerstedtKevin VerdugoSoccerKen LollaMario SanchezMichael HamiltonAdministrationMTUAMBasketballShaka SmartSoftballJulie WrightI am sure I missed others but WTF, lets build bigger stadiums :rock:

FootballJim PryMatt WallerstedtKevin VerdugoSoccerKen LollaMario SanchezMichael HamiltonAdministrationMTUAMBasketballShaka SmartSoftballJulie WrightI am sure I missed others but WTF, lets build bigger stadiums  :rock:
Kevin Verdugo: He left before last season began and we won the MAC championship without him...is that correct?Pry and Wallerstedt? I think SOMEHOW we'll survive. There some guy named Brookhart that's still running around somewhere on campus.SoccerKen LollaMario SanchezMichael HamiltonTime will tell regarding the soccer guys. Give the new coach some time to coach...say...maybe a game or two before the pieces of the sky begins falling? He was the top assistant at Indiana before coming to Akron. Indiana, not Indiana State.AdministrationMTUAMAgain, time will tell. MT was, no way in F-ing hell, going to stay in Akron. If it wasn't Cincinnati, it would have been somewhere else. He met JD when he was interviewing for the Pitt AD job. He'd only been at Akron for two years and he'd sent out God knows how many resumes. Mack seems to know what he's doing. The Kest hire seems like an excellent one.UAM ruled. I miss his dynamics, ideas, and about everything else. But...I'll give the new regime a shot. Let's see what Hunter and Mack can do. BTW: It is July 4th and I still have not have info in my mailbox regarding the tailgate section or football season tickets. That concerns me. Mack said at the golf outing it was immensely important to draw 15k+ this year, but as of July 4th....about 8 weeks from the Zips opener...the team hype is invisible.BasketballShaka SmartGood for Shaka. I really liked the guy. However, did you see the student athlete from WPa that recently verballed to the Zips? He seems like a hell of a player. He committed without Shaka anywhere near Ohio. Others of his caliber are sure to follow. I think the hoops staff will survive quite well without Shaka.SoftballJulie WrightShe didn't win squat. He loss is our gain. If her heart wasn't in coaching Akron, the it is best she's gone.Schools lose assistants and head coaches all the time. We're not immune. There's a good chance we'll replace them with someone better, and with more commitment.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Akron to burn to the ground when JD leaves. You know its only a matter of time. If not after this season, then after next. My guess is once the first car is flipped and burned, Akron will riot all the way to the rubber bowl, at which point the stadium collapses on its own. Don Plusquellic will then declare that day to be "The darkest day in Akron history". Every year from there on, school will be cancelled on that day, for a day of mourning and reflection. Charlie Frye will use Microsoft paint to change his diploma to say "K ent State". The whole university will be torn down and a new ITT Tech building will be built in its spot. everything will be gone, sans a golden statue of Brookhart, depicted coaching a game and curing cancer. Anyone who even mentions the initials JD in Akron will be arrested and shackled in the center of the city for all to throw stuff at. Life as we know it will come to an end.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Akron to burn to the ground when JD leaves. You know its only a matter of time. If not after this season, then after next. My guess is once the first car is flipped and burned, Akron will riot all the way to the rubber bowl, at which point the stadium collapses on its own. Don Plusquellic will then declare that day to be "The darkest day in Akron history". Every year from there on, school will be cancelled on that day, for a day of mourning and reflection. Charlie Frye will use Microsoft paint to change his diploma to say "K ent State". The whole university will be torn down and a new ITT Tech building will be built in its spot. everything will be gone, sans a golden statue of Brookhart, depicted coaching a game and curing cancer. Anyone who even mentions the initials JD in Akron will be arrested and shackled in the center of the city for all to throw stuff at. Life as we know it will come to an end.
i nominate this as a candidate for "Post of the Year"! :bow: