Game #3 Marshall Thundering Herd

Dr Z

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/ua-zips/university-of-akron-zips-blog-1.277207/zips-football-sophomore-rb-may-be-in-line-for-more-action-1.523434

We might see more of Hakeem Lawrence. I'm fine with that. Maybe Chisholm will get the message that he needs to spend less time stutter-stepping in the backfield while the defense closes in.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/ua-zips/university-of-akron-zips-blog-1.277207/zips-football-sophomore-rb-may-be-in-line-for-more-action-1.523434

We might see more of Hakeem Lawrence. I'm fine with that. Maybe Chisholm will get the message that he needs to spend less time stutter-stepping in the backfield while the defense closes in.

And here is the 'Meister's favorite part:

"There’s a good chance he’ll get an opportunity to do that in the game to do that.”

Back in the Rubber Bowl Days, Marshall would bring 8k fans to a game. The whole "We Are...Marshall" chant going left-to-right in the stands was always pretty impressive.

Will Marshall still get 8k to travel to Akron? 4k?

I have no clue regarding Marshall fans since they left the MAC. Just curious if TV and Internet availability of games has eroded their road fan base.

The Zips have no injuries to report, so I assume Tyrell Goodman is available again. MU has three players on the report, but I’ve seen elsewhere that they’ve all been upgraded to probable.

http://chicagosports.sportsdirectinc.com/football/ncaaf-injuries.aspx?page=/data/ncaaf/injury/injuries.html

I think how the Zips try to contain WR Allen is critical. His height (6’2” and seemingly plays a little bigger) caused great difficulty for OU’s DBs last weekend. As the ‘Meister likes to hammer home, Zip DBs are a bit vertically challenged as well. I expect UA to counter with physical play. How close the game is called might be the biggest key to the game. Zip defenders will have to walk the fine line between being physical and risking a dreaded replay of the Miami game a few years ago.

It’s tough for me to read too much into either team’s results so far this year. This game, for both teams, looks to be pivotal in determining how the rest of 2014 will proceed.

This is a game I’ve been anticipating for a long time. The forecast looks to be spectacular and I expect a quality football on Saturday, possibly the finest game to have been played there to date.

BTW, in reviewing both team’s schedules so far, how did we all (apparently) miss the fact that Zip 2005 OC Moorehead whipped 2005 DC Fleming two weeks ago?

Also, does the loser of this game get the consolation prize of not having to concern themselves as much with the goings on in Morgantown for 2014?

Zips 38

Herd 35

Betting Trends

-Marshall is 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 nonconference games.

-The Thundering Herd are 2-5 ATS in their last seven road games.

-Akron is 4-1 ATS in their last five following an ATS loss.

-The Zips are 11-4 ATS in their last 15 following a bye week.

-The home team is 6-0 ATS in the last six meetings between these teams.

Really? :rolleyes:

I didn't say they were. I asked the question: "When was the last time the Zips were favored by 9 points vs. a Division 1A opponent?"

Obviously a long time. Don't really understand why it's being brought up..

Just saw LJ fam foundation has invited 2500 people to attend the game. Love it!

We won't be able to keep up, unless we get a ton of turnovers.

I was watching TV last weekend and ESPN was running one of their weekly sob stories about a guy from an urban environment who makes it out and good in college football. Marshall's QB was the main character in this sob story.

Quite honestly, if he throws up the ducks he has earlier this season, we should be able to get some turnovers. He doesn't throw a very good ball. We have a solid defense an can get some picks.

Obviously a long time. Don't really understand why it's being brought up..

22 months ago. Nov 2012 the Zips were 14 point favorites to UMass at home. We lost 14-22 on a sunny day...or as some call it Shame Day.

Yes, it was their first year as Div I, but that is the answer to the question asked.

iDummy was only favored once against Div I teams during his tenure, 2010 at home against Buffalo -1, he actually won the game.

In 2009 JD's Zips team was favored to beat Eastern by 14, Akron won, but did not cover.

Betting Trends
-Marshall is 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 nonconference games.
-The Thundering Herd are 2-5 ATS in their last seven road games.
-Akron is 4-1 ATS in their last five following an ATS loss.
-The Zips are 11-4 ATS in their last 15 following a bye week.
-The home team is 6-0 ATS in the last six meetings between these teams.

Better betting trend: Marshall is 1-9 ATS as road favorites under Doc Holliday.

Sneak peek of the new Nike unis with backwards Z on right side of the helmet. These are sure to fire up the team for a big victory. Oops, wrong thread.
10486379_824694374229262_747097566067511

Funny, that guy looks a lot like Lebron in an Akron football uniform....with the "Z" on the one side backward of course.

I was watching TV last weekend and ESPN was running one of their weekly sob stories about a guy from an urban environment who makes it out and good in college football. Marshall's QB was the main character in this sob story.

Quite honestly, if he throws up the ducks he has earlier this season, we should be able to get some turnovers. He doesn't throw a very good ball. We have a solid defense an can get some picks.

I completely agree with this. I know marshall fans are excited about being 3-0. We would be too. But Cato will throw his first interception against us.

Sneak peek of the new Nike unis with backwards Z on right side of the helmet. These are sure to fire up the team for a big victory. Oops, wrong thread.

Is this picture real? I'm glad The King couldn't be bothered to take a real photo and they have to photoshop the jersey onto him...

When they first posted it, the jersey had Adidas on it. They must have changed it due to LeBron's affiliation with Nike. But what about Akron's deal with Adidas?