2015 Team and Recruiting

Now that the season has ended on a disappointing note. How do we feel about next years team? How many transfers are going to leave and can Embick get any top notch recruits to join the program? Maybe Caleb can send some more of his Timbers academy players or we can get back to getting some nationally ranked recruits. In my opinion Embick needs to have a better year next year or I hope we find someone else who could get us past the first round of the NCAA tournament.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2015-mls-draft:-big-board-v-10_aid35455

there are underclassmen on this list. Very surprised that Adam is not on the list.

Like all of us, I would love to see Adam come back next year. Richie, Victor and Adam can accomplish great things together.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2015-mls-draft:-big-board-v-10_aid35455

there are underclassmen on this list. Very surprised that Adam is not on the list.

Like all of us, I would love to see Adam come back next year. Richie, Victor and Adam can accomplish great things together.

Adam would not be a draftee. He would be a NYRB Home Grown. So, if that list is only projections for the draft (not those potentially going pro), he would not be included.

The first game in which I saw Adam play was against Chad and Will (NY Red Bulls Reserves vs Crew Reserve in Columbus). He was committed to Akron, but it was the summer before the fall in which he joined the Zips. I want Adam to be successful and go professional, but not yet. Given where they are this season, I hope the NYRB decide to wait at least another season on Adam. With MLS salaries where they are, I'd also like to see Adam get his degree or at least get closer to it.

Adam would not be a draftee. He would be a NYRB Home Grown. So, if that list is only projections for the draft (not those potentially going pro), he would not be included.

The first game in which I saw Adam play was against Chad and Will (NY Red Bulls Reserves vs Crew Reserve in Columbus). He was committed to Akron, but it was the summer before the fall in which he joined the Zips. I want Adam to be successful and go professional, but not yet. Given where they are this season, I hope the NYRB decide to wait at least another season on Adam. With MLS salaries where they are, I'd also like to see Adam get his degree or at least get closer to it.

I agree with your good analysis. I think they said they tried to include home growns on their list.

from article:

In the first edition of the Big Board, we've included players with ties to MLS Academies, a handful who could or should be signed as homegrowns players before the draft, in order to compare their talent to the rest of the player pool (Jordan Morris will not be in the draft). Those players are noted with the (^) symbol, while those with asteriks are our recommendations to sign Generation adidas deals. As players sign homegrown deals, turn down GA offers or head abroad, they will be removed from future updates.

knbuflobo, on 22 Nov 2014 - 3:19 PM, said:snapback.png

This should be the most stable off-season roster in some time. I would really like to get Brennan from Copley.

Very talented Junior, multi sport athlete (baseball spring into summer?) that has killed local HS soccer in fall but did not test waters at Dev Academy. That should be the standard and I am not saying a HS multisport kid can't break thru, they do, but it will be rarer and rarer. Bevin like player? (but not from NZ ;)) He is fine too, but UA should find the best, no less.

Hard need at RB, guys are talking about Najem will he get HG, but what about Saad loss to graduation? You could almost take 2 OBs unless you like the heavy asymmetrical play. Souders was better than the rest at defending in that position but offered little forward threat or effective crosses (assists), and that in turn made Zips easier to defend.

As for Fs that 'promising' group needs to produce. Thought we would see many more goals from them but Sepe and maybe Holthusen were just above ok and rest poor shooting and no real sense for the frame. Gainford shot like mad and rarely found the mark. Has to be much better than that. Group tended to get narrow into final third too, but that's correctable.

2 OBs and a dangerous guy somewhere up top from some foreign land (2015s gone here) would be my ticket.

Have you seen (Chris) Brennan play? He is a scorer without a conscience.

Developmental Academies are great and all, but there is more than one path.

+1

Wil Trapp ... Gahanna Lincoln High School

OK I promise to go watch him pitch in the spring and switch to futbol boots for the fall and see him on the pitch. He might be the best athlete in the state so I am behind the curve on this one. Probably commits by then so we will be see a UA or UL scarf around his neck by the time I see him on the mound. Somebody said he was lead off batter too. Given he is listed around 5-10 170lb he is not the 6-2 super dominant physical HS multisport player, he must have gotten there on pure athleticism. Impressive. Could probably start as their point guard if he wanted to. Is he leaning both ways soccer/baseball? Saad was also non DA, also Gahanna, I hear ya. Did Saad also play basketball at Gahanna?

One is still left with:

Is there a convert to RB (Schultz or one of the other 14' young guns) or is there a hot iron in that fire?

Is there a dangerous player in the weeds they are recruiting here, or overseas about to emerge?

Will the LB remain at home and more defensive or will a more balanced attack out of the back be needed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This youngster is a 2016 senior, but I sure hope our Crew Academy connex (Hello, Wil!) are working to put our best face forward with Ben Swanson, the #1 ranked player in the Great Lakes region in his class. http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player-profile/benjamin-swanson/pid-10017624

Ben Swanson signed a homegrown contract with the senior team a couple months back

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2014/10/crew-sign-homegrown-player-ben-swanson-special-crew-youth-soccer-event-thursday

Ben Swanson signed a homegrown contract with the senior team a couple months back

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2014/10/crew-sign-homegrown-player-ben-swanson-special-crew-youth-soccer-event-thursday

Ya know, frankly that's sad for both college soccer and I think the young man. He will not get beyond some reserve play for a couple years. At least. Would you give this recommendation to your kid?

• Like 1

I am most interested selfishly in who will be the RB. I sit in the first row of the reserved section so I get to see these guys up close running down the flank. Since 2008 it's been Kofi, Deandre and Saad. 3 extremely talented speedy players and I believe Saad will have a pretty good career in the MLS.