Tuition cuts approved

They can keep "slashing" on that Earth Science class...if it's the same one I paid for.

"UA plans to offer six classes in the fall for $50 a credit hour, a major reduction from the usual $359 per hour for undergraduate students at the main campus."

This is interesting to me. I think its a good idea to lower costs, but to HALF of what a community college costs? Makes little sense to me. Why not make them the same or only slightly lower than community colleges? Your name alone should give you an edge over community colleges if all things are equal (or close to it). Seems there is quite the opportunity loss there. Will the assumed increase in enrollment make up for the loss from such a steep decrease? Do we care about quality or quantity? I was thinking there was more of an emphasis on quality towards the end of Proenza's term with actually implementing some requirements to get accepted. This seems to point more towards quantity.

• Like 1

If Kasich is warning state universities in Ohio to cut costs, I wonder if he is telling his alma mater in Cowlumbus to stop spending over 100k per athlete, per year, on athletics.

If they're bringing in $150k/year per athlete, then good for OSU.

OSU athletics is absolutely no drain on the University as a whole. Instead it's is a cash cow. You need to find a new drum to beat to a pulp.

Skip, the argument that tOSU spends too much on athletics isn't going to resonate with Governor Kasich as tOSU's athletic department is one of a handful that generates a substantial profit. The USA Today study shows that tOSU's athletic department generates revenue of $145,232,681 vs. $113,937,001 in athletic expenses.

Dave, Dave, Dave. Thanks for ruining a little fun on an Akron forum. I'm well aware of the numbers. Just poking fun at a situation where a Governor is asking for reduced spending when his alma mater is the biggest spender.

I happen to be a huge Kasich supporter.

Maybe the better solution here is to apply Barack's "spread the wealth around a little bit" philosophy. What a perfect way to demonstrate that the #TeamOhio concept is in full force.

Dave, Dave, Dave. Thanks for ruining a little fun on an Akron forum. I'm well aware of the numbers. Just poking fun at a situation where a Governor is asking for reduced spending when his alma mater is the biggest spender. ...

Not trying to ruin your fun, just trying to protect your reputation as an astute businessman who knows the difference between big spending and big profits. Some people don't realize that your constant digs at tOSU are all in fun and not to be taken seriously, so I wanted to give you a chance to set the record straight. ;)