Scarborough's next move...

No, it's called "Taking an action without enough forethought, that ended up not being necessary in the first place, which added to your already-existing pubic relations nightmare when you are a public University that relies upon impressing potential students and athletes".

That is infinitely more damaging than a Coach making a wrong decision on a starting player, etc., then reversing his decision.

• Like 1

I don't like the way Scarborough has been operating... do something, tell us that the media has reported it incorrectly, then tell us a different story. It's all very shady. It's a public university. He should be able to operate transparently for the most part. Also, I don't understand why UA has a Board of Trustees. All they ever seem to do is rubber stamp whatever the Prez brings them, be it Scarborough, Proenza, or any of their predecessors. Group think is not a good way to operate. Do those apparent stemwinders get any pay from UA? If so, there's some savings to be had there by eliminating completely unnecessary figurehead positions.

Morris....if this implies that nobody is paying attention, so it doesn't matter, that would be a bad assumption.

Again, Students and Athletes who are being recruited by Akron are hearing this news, because they are tuned into what's going on at the U that they are considering attending. And in the short term, that's the most painful and damaging part of this bad PR.

The stores are losing money, adding to UA's debt. Universities shouldn't be distracted by trying to be successful in the fickle retail business. If there's a good business case for stores like that in downtown Akron, other retailers will move in to fill the void.

• Like 1

The stores are losing money, adding to UA's debt. Universities shouldn't be distracted by trying to be successful in the fickle retail business. If there's a good business case for stores like that in downtown Akron, other retailers will move in to fill the void.

The Selle Generator Works is supposed to be turning into something similar to what Quaker Square used to be.

Sadly, the final nail has been put in the coffin. Without travelers, restaurant patrons, and retail shoppers, everything that was left was doomed for good the moment it was not going to be used as a hotel any longer. And the beginning of the end may have actually been 20 years ago when the once-vibrant theme bars in the complex started to close.

I already miss being able to drop off and pick up people, both business and person, from such a unique place. Most people were so awestruck by it. As a "college campus building" it just seems like such a waste to me.

Morris....if this implies that nobody is paying attention, so it doesn't matter, that would be a bad assumption.

Again, Students and Athletes who are being recruited by Akron are hearing this news, because they are tuned into what's going on at the U that they are considering attending. And in the short term, that's the most painful and damaging part of this bad PR.

I highly doubt any potential U of A recruit cares if the General Store in Quaker Square was closed.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that 75% of ZN didn't even know that the General Store was even there.

Sadly, the final nail has been put in the coffin. Without travelers, restaurant patrons, and retail shoppers, everything that was left was doomed for good the moment it was not going to be used as a hotel any longer. And the beginning of the end may have actually been 20 years ago when the once-vibrant theme bars in the complex started to close.

I already miss being able to drop off and pick up people, both business and person, from such a unique place. Most people were so awestruck by it. As a "college campus building" it just seems like such a waste to me.

Skip - it is sad to me. When I played back in the 80s my family and friends actually looked forward to staying at the Quaker Square Hilton, they had a great brunch that I was able to join them for the day after our game - special time for me. I think it was cool that UA bought it (do we own it?)…..it is a historical part of Akron. If there are not profitable stores, shut em' down, no biggie, smart move…..it is not a commercial hotel….its a dorm right? Hopefully we can maintain it and it could potentially be touted as one of the coolest dorms in the US!! IT COULD BE!!

On a separate note, if you want to find a hotel IN Akron…..good luck. I got disjoined from some of my buddies while in town last visit and got a room at Akron City Centre Hotel. Wow, it is creepy (possibly haunted)

And as Sportsjunkie mentioned……a recruit doesn't give a rats ass about a store a Quaker Square being closed. He wants to see a full stadium, pretty girls……and let TB close the deal. Simple

On a separate note, if you want to find a hotel IN Akron…..good luck. I got disjoined from some of my buddies while in town last visit and got a room at Akron City Centre Hotel. Wow, it is creepy (possibly haunted)

How long ago was that? The situation now isn't so bad. There's a Hilton Garden Inn next to the original Goodyear HQ building. The Marriott hotel next to Luigi's should be completed in a few weeks, if it isn't already open. A third hotel is currently being converted from the United building at Main and Market.

It may be unpopular here, but that place had been losing money for a LONG time. That's why the owners (when it was Crowne Plaza) dumped it, and UA snapped it up.

Still a little sad though. :-(

As for the hotel situation, i used to work at City Center (when it was a Radisson). And as thankful that I am for them giving me a job that eventually got me working at another college FT, that place needs a MAJOR renovation- or least being put in the hands of someone who will fix it up. Thankfully, the market for new hotels is fixing that. (never thought i would see a downtown Marriott!)