Game 3—Savannah State Tigers

Dr Z

Tigers / Zips  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They were blasted in their only game yet this year at Colorado State by 65-13.

Speaking of CSU, it seemed as though Donnell Alexander was MIA last week. I also didn't notice Larry Hope or Josh McNeil either. Did I miss something?

Back on topic, it's a good thing Savannah State is a lousy FCS team and not someone like James Madison. Otherwise, this could have been a real downer. The Zips SHOULD, even with their offensive woes, demolish these paper Tigers.

GT tweets that KP16 is out for Saturday with a head injury.

Here we go again. Remembering last season, Pohl took a long time to recover from that head injury and the Zips' season fell apart without him. Hoping the best for his health. Desperately searching for the smallest bright spot, at least Chapman and Woodson have similar styles so the team can focus more on running plays including the QBs as neither has yet shown they can pass with any consistency. Without Pohl the Zips have no choice but to put more emphasis on the run. Now all they have to do is execute.

Savannah State is 0-1 after a 65-13 loss at Colorado State on Sept. 5. The Tigers had a bye last week.

After one game, junior RB Richard Williams leads the rushers with 73 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries. Under center, sophomore QB Tino Smith is 6-of-14 for 50 yards. Freshman WR Nicholas Carrera and sophomore WR Derek Kirkland are the top receivers with two catches for 17 yards each. Defensively, freshman DB Isiah Bennett has 10 tackles and a forced fumble.

In the NCAA FCS stats, the Tigers lead the nation in red zone offense (1.000). They are also ranked No. 3 in turnover margin (3.00) and fumbles recovered (4.0), and No. 22 in fourth down conversions (0.667). Individually, junior PK John Barron is the national leader in field goal percentage (1.000), and No. 2 in field goals per game (2.00). Three players are tied at No. 3 in forced fumbles (1.00) and fumbles recovered (1.00). source

1) This game could not have come at a better time. Some hope will be renewed after this one. I just hope it continues long after that.

2) I'd like to see Tommy W. throw the ball a little bit in this one. I want to see if some of what he showed at OU and in the first half vs. Ball State last year can possibly resurrect this offense.

Zippy Rulz....I tend to agree with you about Week 1 for the Cupcake game. Then it becomes somewhat of an extension of Training Camp, and a transition to the more difficult games.

But I believe the "big programs" have the same philosophy, which is why THEY might tend to want to schedule US in Week 1.

My comment was about desperately needing a WIN after the last two weeks. That's why I think that, in our current state, this game came at the perfect time.

Based on UA being an FBS team and their opponent this week being a struggling FCS team, the onus is on the Zips to destroy. It's the same kind of no-win that the premier teams face when they play UA in their openers. If they lose outright, they lose big-time. If they win a close game, they lose. If they win by a lot, they should have won by more. Really, the entire early season paradigm is bullshit in college football. Money games, running up 60 points on opponents, little programs hoping for the David moment, it's so cynical and cruel on so many levels. In the end the only winners are the mega programs (that win big in those early games of course) who pad their results with the 60 point wins on their way to the Tostitos/FedEx/MegaCorp FBS playoff games.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing if all the below is true. I'm not sure about everything else, but the weight loss was obvious to me in the spring. I might be in the minority, but I like Woodson's potential, especially if he has worked on the things coach speaks of.

“You have to get two guys getting reps. Woodson’s getting a lot of reps,” Bowden said. “There’s a lot of things when you’re dealing with Woodson. He’s had a lot more at-bats with things we do than Tra’Von Chapman, but it gives us two guys who are at least probably more similar in the way they do things.”

Woodson, like Chapman, has the ability to pass and run the ball, and in the time since he struggled as a starter when Pohl was injured last season, Bowden has noticed a difference with Woodson. “He hasn’t had a chance to show the maturity that he has,” Bowden said. “Last year, he was a redshirt freshman starter and there were times we were in games at halftime and we made the first mistake. “We made the first turnover. We made the first mistake offensively. And that’s what you’re hoping you’ll see from him, some maturity from that standpoint that he understands sometimes it’s OK to force something or try to make something happen.” Bowden said that along with that confidence, Woodson’s maturity shows in his loss of about 30 pounds.

• Like 2

Brings to mind the old John McKay line..

Reporter: "What do you think of your team's execution?"

McKay: "I'm all for it."

One of the classic quotes of all time. Post USC days when he was HC of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Even the current Browns aren't as bad as that team was. A few years later he had them in the NFC title game, I believe against the Rams.