Western Michigan

I know that their schedule has not been the strongest in the country. However, they have given up a grand total of 7 goals in 13 games and they have shutout their opponent in 8 out of 13 games. As someone else wrote, this could be the toughest MAC game.

The stats there tell an odd story. 2 GKs, 8 games each.

Rau has taken the starting position for last 3.5 games and has a league basement level .667 S%age and Shepherd lost the job with a startling .947 and only 1 goal allowed. Maybe Shepherd got injured in 1st half of loss to WV, the last time he played.

Edited by SwitchIt

Where is Rau when you need him? 6-3 205 pretty agile Shepherd must have been injured last 3.5 games he was out. Seems to give the back line allot of confidence. Pretty good, he probably transfers to needy big program soon enough. Tough conditions for both guys today.

"Drew Shepherd has allowed just one goal in eight games, spanning 605:00 minutes and is the nations leader for goals-against average (.149) as well as save percentage (.947)."

1. "Western has a great team that is very determined," Akron head coach Jared Embick commented. "It is a tough place to play and we're very happy we got a point to stay atop the MAC. We need to improve some aspects of our game to get a win on Wednesday, as we have another tough game at West Virginia."

Referencing skip-zip's comment from the MSU match, this is the 2nd match in a row where the Zips were out shot both in total shots (20-7) and shots on goal (10-4). Any team can have a bad game, but it's concerning now for 2 in a row. Also, the Zips seemed to regress some and show a tendancy to panic under pressure vs WMU. Oftentimes yesterday, our players were either heading the ball or kicking it long when not pressured when the better choice would have been to setlle it to the ground and work it up the field. I sure hope they find a way to again get away from that tendacy and get back to Akron soccer. It's crucnh time. Gotta finish the regular season ensuring the MAC Tourney is at FES-CCF and keep our RPI as high as possible.

ME87, I only watched via computer so I obviously did not have a good perspective like you and the other Zip fans at the game. The announcers kept talking about playing against the wind. From my perspective, I felt that Jake gave up way too early in the game and allowed Western Michigan's high pressure to determine how the zips played. Yes, WMU was pressuring up the field but they were not stealing the ball consistently. In the first half, when the zips were playing against the wind, Jake made the decision to wave off the defenders and kick long against the wind. I like Jake but he does not have a strong leg. Jake stayed with that strategy for the entire game and that played to WMU's advantage. I love our midfielders, especially Adam and Victor...but they are not tall and bulky and don't win balls in the air on a consistent manner. I would much rather have seen Andrew, Brad, Robbie, etal given a chance to work the ball up the field. Victor was not given the opportunity to get the ball at his feet to work his magic. There was no quick movement of the ball across the field. I rarely heard Andrew's name on the broadcast. In the 2nd half, the ball was on Niko's side for most of the time and he seemed to get beat up by the bigger WMU players. The Akron players are very skilled and should know how to punish a team that is coming with high pressure.

With 15 games in the books, I would like to see us settle on a side defensive back on the opposite side of Andrew and settle on a forward up top to go with Sam and Richie. It looked like Nate played about 20 minutes as a front forward yesterday. I like both Nate and Robbie as a corner DB but I did not feel that Nate was effective yesterday as a forward.

That being said, I have to give a tremendous amount of credit to WMU and their third year coach for playing soccer against the zips and leading in shots. They play at Michigan tuesday night and I think it would be great for the MAC for Western Michigan to get a win on the road.

After the Wake Forest game, the zips came out with renewed energy at Santa Barbara. I hope we will see inspired performances this week against W. Va and UCLA. speaking of UCLA, they defeated CAL a week ago 6-0....same two teams playing tonight. Cal leads UCLA 3-2 tonight at 79 minutes.

ME87, I only watched via computer so I obviously did not have a good perspective like you and the other Zip fans at the game. The announcers kept talking about playing against the wind. From my perspective, I felt that Jake gave up way too early in the game and allowed Western Michigan's high pressure to determine how the zips played. Yes, WMU was pressuring up the field but they were not stealing the ball consistently. In the first half, when the zips were playing against the wind, Jake made the decision to wave off the defenders and kick long against the wind. I like Jake but he does not have a strong leg. Jake stayed with that strategy for the entire game and that played to WMU's advantage. I love our midfielders, especially Adam and Victor...but they are not tall and bulky and don't win balls in the air on a consistent manner. I would much rather have seen Andrew, Brad, Robbie, etal given a chance to work the ball up the field. Victor was not given the opportunity to get the ball at his feet to work his magic. There was no quick movement of the ball across the field. I rarely heard Andrew's name on the broadcast. In the 2nd half, the ball was on Niko's side for most of the time and he seemed to get beat up by the bigger WMU players. The Akron players are very skilled and should know how to punish a team that is coming with high pressure.

With 15 games in the books, I would like to see us settle on a side defensive back on the opposite side of Andrew and settle on a forward up top to go with Sam and Richie. It looked like Nate played about 20 minutes as a front forward yesterday. I like both Nate and Robbie as a corner DB but I did not feel that Nate was effective yesterday as a forward.

That being said, I have to give a tremendous amount of credit to WMU and their third year coach for playing soccer against the zips and leading in shots. They play at Michigan tuesday night and I think it would be great for the MAC for Western Michigan to get a win on the road.

After the Wake Forest game, the zips came out with renewed energy at Santa Barbara. I hope we will see inspired performances this week against W. Va and UCLA. speaking of UCLA, they defeated CAL a week ago 6-0....same two teams playing tonight. Cal leads UCLA 3-2 tonight at 79 minutes.

The wind was a problem, and I agree with much of what you stated. However, there were numerous (many more than I can remember) times when our players, including Victor, Andrew, Brad were heading the ball back up for grabs when there was no one pressuring them not just the times when Jake was booting the ball up field into or with the wind.

Earlier in the season there was talk about the back line + GK and possible changes that the staff could make to improve things pronto given +2GAA at the time. Changes were made on the line, and by a staff that does not like change with good results except unresolved LB. I agree that Niko, quick as he is, remains challenged at that position size wise. I wonder how Clarke looks out there, and could he be a menace running up in addition to known defending capabilities?

As for GK I do not remember anyone ever saying much about Jake or keepers generally, and while he seems likable and hangs in there for the most part he was a probable career back up to Pina until he inexplicably left (does anyone know the real story there, seems Coastal likes him well enough) and has given a slew of weak goals this year capped by what the announcers described as 'horrible goal keeping' to take Zips 0-1 and 'very shaky' play afterwards, not forgetting to credit a solid last minute save to avoid losing a game he might have set the team up to lose in the H1. Comment by TennZip was does not have a strong leg. Yes, and is smallish in hands and arms as part of a slight build overall. WMU's Shepherd (6-3 205) is more prototypical, but then again some favor the smaller more nimble guy. MNT and Intl plays to 6-2 to 6-4 (except Rimando, always an exception it seems). Best collegiate the same.

Embick apparently coached Farrell at Internationals DA, he went on to WF. Good size. Pina YNT top keeper, left and thriving at Coastal. Quickness and great reach. Rubio top DA prospect and still well regarded, no minutes, size and reach but lacks Pina like quickness. Now the stage is set and you have a single option, and if this keeps playing out the Zips will progress in the 3rd or 1/4s on the back of Richie and Adam, but risk falling on the sword of burned LB or GK give. I will close that by saying I thought ND 2013 Patrick Wall at about the same size would hinder the Irish's hopes of winning it all, but was wrong. (I still like this year's model Chris Hubbard 6-4 205 much better ;) )

• Like 1

For whatever reason, Pina was not doing it at Akron. From what I recall, he wasn't agile nor was he directing the play in front of him. Thus, Jake took over the starting role. Pina never seemed to push to win it back. I assume that he transferred because he was not playing. Maybe the change of venue shook him up enough that he stepped up his game. Perhaps the back line in front of him coupled with lesser competition than the Zips are facing make him look better. Then again, maybe he is better. I don't know, nor does it matter. Pina, not our coaches, is the reason he lost his starting job at Akron.

As far as Jake, I think he is playing very well and doesn't get enough credit. As I told him the other day, when I thanked him for the job he's been doing...I long for the days when Meves was "able to do his homework back there" because our back line (Barson, Korb, Valetin, Sarkodie) + our holding mid, Kitchen were so good. I wish Jake could get a break. Look at the number of saves he has had to make. Percentages are not in his favor for clean sheets when he has to make 9 saves in a game (10 to get the clean sheet). That's not on him.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

The highly rated Fernando Pina turned in mediocre performances, one after another through 2013. When challenged by Jake Fenlasson, Pina did nothing to fight for his playing time. Pina never won back his position, and Fenlasson has been in the first eleven since then. In the annals of Zips Soccer, few recruits have held as much promise as Pina, and yet delivered such little production. Dormant talent often requires a change of scenery in order to flourish. See Coastal Carolina.

Like David Meves, Jake Fenlasson is an expert shot blocker with decent foot skills. But his leg strength is insufficient at this level. There is no subsititute for being able to consistently club the ball over the midfield circle when nothing else is working. Surely, Zips coaches and players realize this deficiency. But the opposition realizes this as well, putting the Zips at risk as front lines continue to pressure our defenders with impunity.

Fenlasson has been asked to do too much this season, too many acrobatic saves, too many desperation clearances. For the most part, he has handled his business well. He has developed into a good leader. But lurking in the minds of Zips Nation are the feeble punts and the weak goal kicks into the wind. See Marquette in 2013.

I hope this one aspect of Jake's profile does not hurt us.

• Like 4