Some Stadium News

sgm405

Bobby,Marla is the OSU beat writer for the BJ.  Cool it a little bit on calling her out.  She's doing her job.Maybe you should be upset that Sheldon Ocker doesnt' cover the Zips enough?  Would you?This is a prime example of you attempting to derail a useful thread ... take it easy.
I am, but it's the attitude some people have towards the University of Akron in this community that I don't like at all. Should it be acceptable that the local newspaper covers that school in Columbus more than their own Zips???I understand she's just doing her job. I guess my beef's not with her, it's with the ABJ. I still feel my email was necessary. I was just pointing out that I don't think it could have been Marla that sgm saw and why.This is great news about the stadium. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Sounds like big news to me!?!Where was this? Did you see a BJ writer there? Who?  :blink:
No way a BJ writer was in attendance. Someone will forward a release to the BJ. A phone interview with Mack would probably follow...IF the BJ thought it was newsworthy.
Sooo I'm lying? The woman said she was from the BJ. Why in the world would I lie about that? :rolleyes:
I was responding to Dr. Z's post. At the time I was typing, the post where you explain meeting the reporter at lunch was not yet viewable. I didn't see it until just now. I can understand you being PO'd, but I think we were simply typing at around the same time. Thanks for the insight regarding the stadium progress. We all appreciate it. :wave:

Bobby,Marla is the OSU beat writer for the BJ.
Just how many sports writers cover OSU? :unsure: I'm sure there are far more people covering them than Akron. I understand that Marla doesn't have a choice in what she covers, but what about the others? Or, why are there so many AP stories about OSU in the sports section? Is it just filler because there aren't enough AP stories about Akron? If that is the case, then the editors need to realize that there are more successful sports at Akron that aren't covered, such as Tennis, Rifle, Track/Cross Country, ect. If they need to fill up a given number of inches on a page, why not give recognition to those teams?

Enough with the BJ and Suckeye rants. I don't like them either. I would rather talk about the original point of this post which is discussion about a new footbal stadium. HNTB is definitely a player when it comes to sports archtecture. I was looking at a few of their works. I really like the stadium that they designed for the other OSU in Corvallis, OR. Reser looks real nice. I'm guessing that that one is unfortunately probably much bigger than the one that UA will build. I hope that ours seats at least 40,000, but I am predicting 30K because Akron won't spend the extra money to do it right the first time (See JAR Arena). It will still be very nice and much better than the Rubber Bowl. I am excited to read the Beacon tommorrow. I hope they can write a good story with plenty of artist's renderings of the design.

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...0&ATCLID=611151This is not really stadium related but just when you think the practice facilities cannot get much better, the University is actually adding on to the field house to relocate the entire football program from the JAR to the fieldhouse. The new facility will be two stories with office space and a meeting room for the team. The Olympic sports are also expected to move as well. Excellent Idea!!! This is also going to lead to much needed rennovations to the JAR. Way to go Mack!!

I've been checking the following website a lot the last few years:http://www3.uakron.edu/capplan/futureprojects/futproj.htmlAs you can see at this link http://www3.uakron.edu/capplan/futureprojects/Football.htm HNTB was hired last year and did one study. It took them 1 year to do more work after their 1st site study or is Akron finally making a decision?

for the ones holding out, they would just use eminent domain. Maybe they were waiting to use that card.
That's right, and if they don't hurry, they will probably lose out. I am sure that the university is making them a more generous offer now, for legal reasons (to prove due diligence), then the 20% above fair market appraisal that they would get from the eminent domain proceedures.