Comprehensive New Players Listing - 2017

Dr Z

2 hours ago, Buckzip said:

As always, it is amazing how many players are listed on the first post as having signed or committed, yet never show up. I will never understand why so many players just vanish every year with absolutely no information available. When you only sign 13 players and some of them don't make it, you have serious issues. 

There are a lot more than 13 new faces. Only 2 members from the signing class have not shown up - Bentley and Jacobs, one of which is apparently greyshirting and one who only had 1 FBS offer. As I said, take everything on there with a grain of salt.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UA1987 said:

It will be interesting to see if Hanson makes his way to the two deep at DE and plays as a true freshman (note he was offered by Iowa State - Cykron?). Also, is the experiment of moving big Andrew Siegman to the DL over as he is back listed as a an Olineman?       

Matt Campbell has been giving out tons of offers, especially in Ohio, Louisiana, Texas, and Georgia.  His philosophy seems to be to try to offer early on guys they like in terms of character and try to hold on if they blow up and get tons of other offers.  They also are coming in later on some 4-stars to try to coax them with immediate playing time (an advantage of being a three-win team).  His first two recruiting classes have been the best ever for Iowa State.  We are looking pretty good for the future.

I'm also hoping that you having a freshman DE is a sign of some weakness at that position.  Hopefully, he won't have a breakout MAC player of the week game against us!  

28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

There are a lot more than 13 new faces. Only 2 members from the signing class have not shown up - Bentley and Jacobs, one of which is apparently greyshirting and one who only had 1 FBS offer. As I said, take everything on there with a grain of salt.

I get your point. However, it doesn't matter how many new faces there are if many are walkons. Occasionally a walkon will be a player but the odds aren't good. You are correct. We signed 13 and "only 2" are missing. 2 of 13 is a crappy percentage imho. Other new faces are transfers from last year that counted on last years total. Every year we count guys as new that were part of a previous class. They somehow get counted in multiple classes because they didn't make it the previous year or they were RS or GS or whatever. I understand your saying take it withe a grain of salt, as I know things will change between now and opening day. I wish one thing that would change is the UA SID. information on this team is nearly impossible to find. 

Edited by Buckzip
  • Like 2

13 players seems like a really small class. 85 scholarships divided by 5 classes equates to an average of 17 players per year assuming 100% of all freshman redshirt. When you factor in players dropping out of school, leaving via transfer, or leaving early for  the draft that number is likely closer to ~20 new scholarship players we could get per season.

I wonder how many of out allowed 85 scholarships we are using?

But on a serious note, there were 24 players on last year's roster that were listed as a Senior or Redshirt Senior.  How many others left the program, I don't know, but the report from the golf outing was that Montel Jordan had left the program.  Evidently, the person in charge of updating the roster was not made aware of his departure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K92 said:

But on a serious note, there were 24 players on last year's roster that were listed as a Senior or Redshirt Senior.  How many others left the program, I don't know, but the report from the golf outing was that Montel Jordan had left the program.  Evidently, the person in charge of updating the roster was not made aware of his departure.

So we weren't serious before?

17 hours ago, Cykron said:

Matt Campbell has been giving out tons of offers, especially in Ohio, Louisiana, Texas, and Georgia.  His philosophy seems to be to try to offer early on guys they like in terms of character and try to hold on if they blow up and get tons of other offers.  They also are coming in later on some 4-stars to try to coax them with immediate playing time (an advantage of being a three-win team).  His first two recruiting classes have been the best ever for Iowa State.  We are looking pretty good for the future.

I'm also hoping that you having a freshman DE is a sign of some weakness at that position.  Hopefully, he won't have a breakout MAC player of the week game against us!  

Hanson is from Florida, so your coach is recruiting there too. Yes, it might have helped to have a 6' 3" 245LB 3* honorable mention all state DE in Fall camp, but apparently he is a greyshirt.     

Edited by UA1987

• 2 weeks later...

Some of those transfers aren't listed on that roster, example: "Holgorsen announced Monday the additions of tight end Jovani Haskins and wide receiver T.J. Simmons. Haskins is from Miami, and Simmons from Alabama" I'm sure there are plenty more, but it's hard enough to follow the Zips transfers, let alone WVU's. Maybe WVU's board has a Comprehensive New Players Listing thread? 

A4CvP44CMAIciaS.jpg

22 minutes ago, K92 said:

Hot off the press. . .

20247924_10210180408130112_1962091092675

That roster, especially on D makes me want to vomit. The linebackers are pathetic. Our "stud" transfer from Pitt is listed behind a kid that has barely played in 3 years. Our "stud" corner transfer is behind a converted safety. The wide receivers are terrible. Kato Nelson, our prized recruit from 2 years ago is 4th string. I'm gonna stop now because it is upsetting. 

9 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

That roster, especially on D makes me want to vomit. The linebackers are pathetic. Our "stud" transfer from Pitt is listed behind a kid that has barely played in 3 years. Our "stud" corner transfer is behind a converted safety. The wide receivers are terrible. Kato Nelson, our prized recruit from 2 years ago is 4th string. I'm gonna stop now because it is upsetting. 

You should no better than to take that depth chart seriously, but that wouldn't fit your agenda of constantly bitching so i guess I should expect it.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

You should no better than to take that depth chart seriously, but that wouldn't fit your agenda of constantly bitching so i guess I should expect it.

You can take a ticket in the long line of people that can kiss my ass. 

I knew the "you can't take the depth chart seriously" excuse would be coming. Even if it isnt correct the roster blows. 

12 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

Pre season depth charts mean nothing. Many coaches use them as motivation for players that they know can be better. 

Then why is the offensive chart correct? I don't think any of us can argue that side of the ball is right. 

If you have to "motivate" our more talented players we have another issue and it is a huge one. 

Edited by Zipgrad01

2 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

I knew the "you can't take the depth chart seriously" excuse would be coming. Even if it isnt correct the roster blows. 

I feel like its groundhog's day. Your feelings towards the roster are well known.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Then why is the offensive chart correct? I don't think any of us can argue that side of the ball is right. 

Perhaps on offense, the coaches believe guys don't need the motivation. Do you believe Kato should be last on the depth chart?

We will revisit this once the season starts and I can guarantee you it will be different than it is now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Really?  Do you think this means anything?  They haven't even practiced yet, camp starts next week, there will be changes once the pads go on & everyone knows DL is an issue, we can't even go 3 deep at all positions, maybe some of our unused tight ends can help fill voids, idk but hopefully they figure something out, the DL is concerning

6 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Absolutely the roster blows. TB has been here long enough to completely make the roster. it is terrible. This is 100% on him.

I am amazed how few quality WR or DL we have on this roster. His recruiting is below average. Then when you figure in that many of each class never even make it to campus, that makes it even worse. Even with transfers, it seems that every year we hear about all these transfers and then less then half are on the team.

WTF keeps happening to our players? I have mentioned this for years and years now. I don't believe any other team out there has the amount of players vanish from their team each year as Akron does. The only ones close are highly talented teams where guys transfer for playing time. At Akron it is starters that vanish. Mind boggling that this happens over and over and over. TB really needs an influx of talent, but I don't see it happening. Of course so many get all excited because he is adding local players....As if that matters.