2017 NCAA D1 Mens Soccer Rankings

27 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

I believe this is correct, but a top 8 seed gets you an extra home game in the seeding, which is a massive help in trying to advance.

True. 

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Check it, but I believe the top 16 get a first round bye and the other 32 play on a week night. Seeds are 1-16. 

You are correct (as usual).  What I should have said:  Top 8 seeds get first round bye and home field advantage in third round.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1

I wonder how many champions come from outside the top 8 seeds, since field was expanded to 48.

Courtesy of SBZipfan on BigSoccer.com:

Top 8 seeds were first listed in 1997. Since then, Connecticut 2000, UCSB 2006, Indiana 2012, and Virginia 2014 were champions not in the top 8.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_soccer_RB/2011/D1Brackets.pdf
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Soccer_Championship

That is actually more than I would have guessed.

10 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

You are correct (as usual).  What I should have said:  Top 8 seeds get first round bye and home field advantage in third round.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1

I wonder how many champions come from outside the top 8 seeds, since field was expanded to 48.

Why not just say you want seeds 1–4. The Zips have only advanced to the College Cup in recent years when they had all home games prior to College Cup. 

5 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Right.  Change it here as well.

I am too easily confused as it is.

Very good to see you cross pollinating.

Alas, I don't think it's possible to change my uninspired username here ...

Now #8 in RPI after the win over Marshall.

RPI will take a small hit from playing (and beating) NIU. (I will not contemplate a loss!) With no other changes, that would drop the Zips to #9. 

A MAC-tournament win over WMU will likely keep the Zips in the top 8 in RPI if there are not a lot of upsets in other tournaments (especially ACC).

I hate being the Negative Nelly...but I will believe it when I see it as far as the selection committee being kind to the Zips even if we are a top 8 team....too many...TOO MANY seasons where I've let them pee me off, and after all is said and done, the committee is made up of NCAA DI administrators and ADs from the BIG conferences, and we've been screwed over seed wise time and time again.  

40 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I hate being the Negative Nelly...but I will believe it when I see it as far as the selection committee being kind to the Zips even if we are a top 8 team....too many...TOO MANY seasons where I've let them pee me off, and after all is said and done, the committee is made up of NCAA DI administrators and ADs from the BIG conferences, and we've been screwed over seed wise time and time again.  

I wouldn't be as concerned as previous seasons. We have a reputation now as a big boy program. We have a handful of marque wins and have been on a tear since the third game of the season.

The team that should be concerned is WMU, particularly if we beat them in the MACC. They have no reputation or history, few big wins (vs. us at home and vs. Michigan at home, and maybe at Butler), a bad loss (4-1 at Portland), and a bad tie (at Eastern Illinois).

If we win out, we will get a Top 8 seed and have an outside chance at a Top 4 depending on how the rest of the field closes out. On the other hand, if WMU loses to us in the MACC, I think they will be luck to be seeded in the Top 16. Conversely, if we lose the MACC, I think both WMU and UA get Top 12 seeds. Beating us twice in one season would carry A LOT of weight and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I respectfully disagree a little on this one. The committee has shown us some kindness in the past. I've forgotten offhand what the Zips RPI was in 2015, but I'm fairly confident it was not 1-4; however, the Zips were the #4 seed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I respectfully disagree a little on this one. The committee has shown us some kindness in the past. I've forgotten offhand what the Zips RPI was in 2015, but I'm fairly confident it was not 1-4; however, the Zips were the #4 seed.

In 2015, NCAA committee made up for many previous Akron slights.

3 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I wouldn't be as concerned as previous seasons. We have a reputation now as a big boy program. We have a handful of marque wins and have been on a tear since the third game of the season.

The team that should be concerned is WMU, particularly if we beat them in the MACC. They have no reputation or history, few big wins (vs. us at home and vs. Michigan at home, and maybe at Butler), a bad loss (4-1 at Portland), and a bad tie (at Eastern Illinois).

If we win out, we will get a Top 8 seed and have an outside chance at a Top 4 depending on how the rest of the field closes out. On the other hand, if WMU loses to us in the MACC, I think they will be luck to be seeded in the Top 16. Conversely, if we lose the MACC, I think both WMU and UA get Top 12 seeds. Beating us twice in one season would carry A LOT of weight and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Broncos are in an unenviable position where they stand to lose more than they can gain.  But that is how it goes on your way up.  The ACC, BiG, and BEast all want to keep their seats at the table. They don’t like strangers.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:59 PM, fknbuflobo said:

Broncos are in an unenviable position where they stand to lose more than they can gain.  But that is how it goes on your way up.  The ACC, BiG, and BEast all want to keep their seats at the table. They don’t like strangers.

At this point, it would be ideal for WMU to not have to play the MACC. They definitely did not have a top four year, and probably not even a top eight. Hence, beating us will likely not push them much higher with seeding. However, losing probably bounces them down 4-6 spots.

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

http://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/Rankings/College_Rankings/NCAA_DI_MEN/web/Rankings/NCAA/DI_MEN.aspx

Akron #7 and Western Michigan #4 ....in the coaches ranking

I am interested to see where Florida International gets seeded in the NCAA's...they have no losses right now

In comparing the coachs' poll to the RPI, I think we have a good shot at the #4 seed provided we win the MACC.

FIU seem to be a strong team. They have beaten lower competition soundly and have a small handful of wins against notable programs. They are likely worthy of a top 8 seed. I don't give them much of a chance if they have to play in Ohio in mid-November though. :D

Top Drawer Soccer has the Zips in the number 3 slot this week.  The same as last week.  There's just one thing about this I don't get:  Indiana in 7th place.  It says they have 1 loss.  Nowhere else do I see a loss on their record!  Who beat IU??  http://iuhoosiers.com/schedule.aspx?path=msoc&print=true&version=1

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

I don't agree. Wisconsin got all the benefits of a win (moving on to the B1G championship), and Indiana did not. And we all know that there are teams that will play to get to PKs. As long as that is how soccer chooses a winner in tournament games, a PK win should count the same as any other win.