" Akron owns a 3-7-3 all-time edge against Notre Dame despite not earning a result against the Irish since the 2008 season (or in Akron since the 1988 campaign)."

I imagine at least several of these contests were before NDU men's soccer became a varsity sport.  The Irish competed as a club team until I think the mid-1980s. 

Looking on ESPN3 it looks like a sparse crowd -- at least across from the camera.  Hope its late-arriving.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Played 30 mins, 0-0.  Akron controlling about 65-70% of possession.  I saw NDU play @Indiana, and would say we are just about as dominant, or a little more so than the Hoosers were against the Irish.  Hope we can break thru before the break.  As I wrote that we had a break-away opportunity, and Egbo, I think hit it early and a couple yards left of goal.

Edited by Z.I.P.

And with that, a blast by Holthusen after a fine deek on the left side of the ND box just misses the far post.

And right after that Stuart gets a breakaway, and is taken down by the Irish goalkeeper.  No call!  Guess he (the keeper) got a hand on the ball.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Late penalty given to Notre Dame with 2:22 showing on clock.  Holthusen pushed in the back just inside the box.  Gainford takes the kick...stopped by GK, but Hinds is right on the spot to put the rebound away.  2-0,  just what I was looking for! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Akron owns a 3-7-3 all-time edge against Notre Dame

Hmm.  I'm testing my late night math skills here, and can't figure out how a 3-7-3 record is to our advantage.  B)

59 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

No. 7 Notre Dame?  

I know.  That's not one of the best teams in the country that I was watching as our opponent tonight.  But since we won, I'm now glad the team we defeated had a bloated ranking :D

Yee Haw!  That was a solid final 15 minutes, IMO.  Didn’t settle and played moderately aggressive, kept on the offense and it paid off and Tor really wasn’t challenged late.  Joao was so solid on the back line!  Other end from first penalty, but close to second, think we might have gotten a gift of spot, thought the foul was just outside the box.  Maybe a make-up for Stuart’s take down?  Decent crowd, a little under my expectation...

Akron goes from 22 in rpi ...up to #14 after the win

UND drops from 5 to 9

in another top matchup last night...Maryland lost for first time to drop to 10-1-3...

maryland is now 8 in rpi...after losing 1-0 to Georgetown (now 11 in rpi)

western michigan is 10 in rpi after beating green bay 3-0 (GB was 5-3-3 before the game)

Very happy with the win (a nod to CK). Nice effort in the final 15 minutes as mentioned above; kept the pressure on ND. I would not have awarded the 2nd PK; contact appeared to be just outside of the box. Still not happy about the loss at Western but beating ND helps.

• Like 3